Live from the 2013 world cruise - on QM2

Whitemarsh

Still waiting for a cameo of Whitemarsh ...now afraid it may be part of the sequel. Oh well, some things are worth the wait!

Vielen dank, Whitemarsh. Sehr nett, Sie kennenzulernen. Bis spater.

I was going to keep this confidential but Whitemarsh was seen in the bar on the Queen Mary 2 after it had a trial conversion to take in the new dress code and this will be the dress after 6pm on informal nights.

KangarooDrinkingBeerWithAussieBrian.jpg

I was going to keep this confidential but Whitemarsh was seen in the bar on the Queen Mary 2 after it had a trial conversion to take in the new dress code and this will be the dress after 6pm on informal nights.

KangarooDrinkingBeerWithAussieBrian.jpg

Which one's Whitemarsh?

David.

Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that review of the 'Back of House' tour, but what a shame you were not allowed to take photographs, what a sad time we live in.

What really surprised me was the fact the ship took aboard fresh water, I guess this shows my age as I have always sailed on steam powered ships and making our own fresh water was simply the accepted norm. I am guessing those mooring ropes were a sight to see and I would not fancy trying to tie a reef knot with them!!

I would like to say how I find it strange that they consider it too dangerous to attempt any type of surgery aboard ship but in this modern age of litigation NOTHING surprises me and if a passenger had a burst appendix then would they just hope a helicopter was within range?

Such a fabulous description of the behind the scene tour. Having done the very same on QV in the summer it brought back the wonderful memories. It was nearly 4 hours of fascination and amazing detail. I was especially impressed with the senior officers, as managers of their sections, who enthused about their departments. It was nothing short of amazing. We had a free photo of all participants (taken on stage), canapés/drinks at 2 stops and... a free cunard apron!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Louise,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that review of the 'Back of House' tour, but what a shame you were not allowed to take photographs, what a sad time we live in.

What really surprised me was the fact the ship took aboard fresh water, I guess this shows my age as I have always sailed on steam powered ships and making our own fresh water was simply the accepted norm. I am guessing those mooring ropes were a sight to see and I would not fancy trying to tie a reef knot with them!!

I would like to say how I find it strange that they consider it too dangerous to attempt any type of surgery aboard ship but in this modern age of litigation NOTHING surprises me and if a passenger had a burst appendix then would they just hope a helicopter was within range?

Glojo, the QM2 does make more than adequate fresh water when at sea, but if in port for an extended period, it mainly relies upon local water supplies. I believe that the water making capacity of the ship relies on being fully operational at sea.

In relation to a burst appendix, I asked that same question of the doctor and he said that all they would do is stabilise the patient and give antibiotics. Since the ship generally rides so smoothly, I don't really accept the explanation that it is too dangerous to perform surgery at sea. I do believe that litigation risk comes into it, but in my mind, there is a greater risk of litigation if Cunard actually lets its doctor sit by, refusing to perform surgery, and someone then dies of a surgically treatable burst appendix.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. The Back of House Tour was certainly a highlight of my voyage and I agree it was worth every cent paid.

Thank you also to Whitemarsh for putting so much energy into writing his Blog, which I am sure we all enjoyed very much.

Louise

Glojo, the QM2 does make more than adequate fresh water when at sea, but if in port for an extended period, it mainly relies upon local water supplies. I believe that the water making capacity of the ship relies on being fully operational at sea.

In relation to a burst appendix, I asked that same question of the doctor and he said that all they would do is stabilise the patient and give antibiotics. Since the ship generally rides so smoothly, I don't really accept the explanation that it is too dangerous to perform surgery at sea. I do believe that litigation risk comes into it, but in my mind, there is a greater risk of litigation if Cunard actually lets its doctor sit by, refusing to perform surgery, and someone then dies of a surgically treatable burst appendix.

You're making the assumption that the Doctor is able to perform this operation. Clearly all doctors are trained but equally clearly not all doctors are trained surgeons. There are quite a few bits and pieces in the lower abdomen that you might not choose to have an unskilled doctor poking around between with a razor sharp scalpel. If the anti biotics do their job then why run that unnecessary risk. :)

Probably not, so let's have an untrained doctor operate eh! :)

Actually, the doctor did say he had been trained to perform this operation, but he referred to the dangers at sea as being the main reason he would not perform it on board the ship.

He referred to other types of complex surgery that he is not trained to perform and I agree that he should not perform those surgeries on board.

Once an appendix is close to rupturing then there's no time to worry about the high seas. It has to come out. Now. So yes, a preventive appendectomy is in order pre boarding.

If I was in that situation I'd give my consent for the procedure.

So yes, a preventive appendectomy is in order pre boarding.

Gosh, thanks for the tip, I'd never thought of that.

Taking the sensible precaution of removing random body parts before going on holiday certainly puts the little worries of dress code, smoking and tipping into perspective.

Sir Martin

The moral of the tale is;

Always have your appendix removed before you cruise!

I believe that one of the less publicised benefits with the higher grade of new fare is a free keyhole appendectomy at Southampton which is performed in the Embarkation Hall. It allows Cunard to get just that little bit extra from its passengers. This will only be available to those that qualify for the free shuttle buses during their cruise. The rest of us will have to suffer in near silence. It has been suggested that this development is a natural progression for the company as for years they have been extracting the urine from us!!

Taking the sensible precaution of removing random body parts before going on holiday certainly puts the little worries of dress code, smoking and tipping into perspective.

Sir Martin

You are more than welcome. :). Good to be prepared I say.

Sir Martin

I can see this as another business opportunity for you, Sir Martin.

Due to the reluctance of the onboard medical team to perform surgery at sea, I can see a dual purpose use for cabin 8129. (Fashion Police activities and illicit surgery). All fees payable to Sir Martihaunt plc.

Hi Louise,

Thank you for your fantastic blog.

I am sure you will agree with me having Whitemarsh on a cruise with you is such a delight. His professional gentlemanly manner not to mention is sense of fun makes any trip worthwhile. I envy your trip next year with him.

You're making the assumption that the Doctor is able to perform this operation. Clearly all doctors are trained but equally clearly not all doctors are trained surgeons. There are quite a few bits and pieces in the lower abdomen that you might not choose to have an unskilled doctor poking around between with a razor sharp scalpel. If the anti biotics do their job then why run that unnecessary risk. :)
I disagree.

I would like to think that I am making the assumption that when a cruise company interviews for the position, they select the right doctor for the job.

It is possibly not fair to compare civilian ships with warships BUT..... On a 1500 ton vessel which will bounce about like a cork (slight exaggeration) in anything other than a mill pond and all the ship has is the equivalent of a nurse, then that man or in todays modern age that person would be expected to save life...

If an appendix burst, then the ship would slow down and present itself to the sea and try to be as stable as possible whilst the 'doc' got out the books and the scalpel. If there was an option that allowed the ship to off-load the passenger or... fly in a more qualified surgeon then that is quite clearly the better option but to suggest the Queen Mary is not stable enough is an insult to our intelligence, to suggest the medical officer is not qualified is something they might, one day have to answer for.

My thoughts are... Far better to try and possibly fail, rather than sit back and do nothing but quite clearly I am in the wrong by suggesting this.

My last ship had a qualified doctor aboard, he was once flown to a nearby Royal Navy tanker along with a Royal Marine that needed immediate spinal surgery. Our 'doc' was a qualified anaesthetist and certainly not a surgeon but in his opinion there was not an option, the tanker was a far more stable platform than our small ship, the surgery was a success the tanker steamed as fast as possible to Guam where the Marine was taken ashore, flown home and made a full recovery. Without the surgery our doc was adamant the man would have died. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

I am no medic and for those better qualified this Royal Marine had something wrong with in his spine, this caused a major infection which in turn caused a raging, out of control temperature which was being treated by an ice 'bath' to try to keep the man alive. Surgery in the opinion of the 'doc' was the only option. The sickbay on the frigate was a better equipped place but the wardroom on the tanker was a far, far more stable platform. Respect to that man for doing what he did and there is NO WAY he would have stood by and just watch this person deteriorate.

Hi Louise,

Thank you for your fantastic blog.

I am sure you will agree with me having Whitemarsh on a cruise with you is such a delight. His professional gentlemanly manner not to mention is sense of fun makes any trip worthwhile. I envy your trip next year with him.

My dear Countess, you have dropped an haitch.

Would you care to buy it back?

Sir Martin

Archived