Cruise Air for European Cruises

Sky Sweet

If you used a cruise line's cruise air package, without selecting your own flights, for a European Cruise... did they book you on a night flight from the US that arrived the morning of your cruise, or on one that left the US very early on the day before the cruise and landed the night before your cruise left?

Sky Sweet,

There are very few flights from the U.S. that depart in the morning and arrive later that same day. In fact London is the only arrival city that I am aware of that does this and they all depart from JFK in NYC.

mcboo:)

Sky Sweet,

There are very few flights from the U.S. that depart in the morning and arrive later that same day. In fact London is the only arrival city that I am aware of that does this and they all depart from JFK in NYC.

mcboo:)

Hi McBoo :)

Thank you for letting me know. We will be taking a Baltic Cruise that leaves from Dover , England next summer (London Airport) and JFK is an option for us since we live in Connecticut.

If you used a cruise line's cruise air package, without selecting your own flights, for a European Cruise... did they book you on a night flight from the US that arrived the morning of your cruise, or on one that left the US very early on the day before the cruise and landed the night before your cruise left?

We will be on a RCCL Med cruise this July. I chose their air as I could not get it at a price lower than the cruise line. We are flying out of Boston at 5:35 PM through Paris on our way to Barcelona.

Sky Sweet - There are no day fllights to London from NYC or Boston that would get you in earlier enough. They will definitely book you on a Overnight Flight. Have a great trip

Actually, I believe that there are day flights to London from JFK, Newark, Boston, Washington (Dulles) and Chicago - although I'm not sure if the Chicago day flights are still running at the moment.

Actually, I believe that there are day flights to London from JFK, Newark, Boston, Washington (Dulles) and Chicago - although I'm not sure if the Chicago day flights are still running at the moment.
I've dug up some research I did a couple of months ago. There are day flights from North America on these routes:-

BOS-LHR (AA, BA)

EWR-LHR (BA, VS)

IAD-LHR (BA, UA)

JFK-LHR (AA, BA)

ORD-LHR (AA)

YYZ-LHR (AC)

I don't think the issue is whether there are day flights or not. The question was about what the cruise air package would supply.

From the East Coast, they will definitely put you on an overnight flight to arrive in the UK on the day of the cruise. If not, a day flight on departure day would arrive too late and a day flight on the previous day would mean putting you up in a hotel.

I don't think the issue is whether there are day flights or not. The question was about what the cruise air package would supply.
Understood, but the OP might also want to know what all the options are, so that a informed decision can be made about whether to do the standard cruise air package, or to ask the cruise line to organise the air travel but with a deviation (or whatever they call it), or to book all the air travel independently.

Globaliser - I definitely understand your point. I wish I had the option of going early and spending a few days in the UK before cruising. Then again, I shouldn't be greedy - a two week Mediterrean cruise should be enough of a thrill.

I'm on the Sea Princess Sept. 3rd, did cruise air because I'm flying home from New York not England. Originally I was going to go in a day early but Princess wants an outrageous amount for the hotel (obscene for a single) so I'll just do the same day routine, which I hate. I'm hoping to get a late direct flight out of ORD to arrive around 11:00 a.m. but may not get that lucky.

Susie

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to express my appreciation to everyone who responded to my question :)

We have never taken a European cruise but have been on 15 Caribbean cruises. I would not consider flying the same day of the cruise leaving out of FLL and it's only a 3 hour nonstop flight from Philly. We just booked a Med cruise for 2006 and plan to arrive two days early. If you don't plan to arrive early, definitely go with the cruise air. One problem with cruise air could be the number of connections which increases the chances of delays or losing your bags. It happend to my wife the only time we booked air thru the cruise line. Her bag arrived three days later on the cruise. You will not get a refund even if all your bags don't make it since the cruise line is not responsible for airline delays or baggage losses. They will try to get you or your bags to the next port, but you cannot get a refund. Been there, done that!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea or educated guesses as to when a flight from LAX to London for a cruise might depart. We will be going next year and have no idea as to what to expect. Maybe a red eye from LAX to New York then a day flight. What do you think?

There are relatively few day flights to London. I would have thought it much more likely that you'll either be on a non-stop from LAX to London (all of them operating overnight), or you'll be connected during the day to a night flight from some other North American hub.

Definitely a case for flying a day or 2 ahead of the cruise, if you can get the time, especially from the west coast. I doubt even if I sprang for first class, that I would sleep very well on the flight, so I'd be cooked for a few days afterwards LOL. The best way to fight jet lag for a cruise out of England, is to just fly to New York, and take the Queen Mary 2 across LOL.

Archived