packing list - what have we forgotten?!

allisons

Seriously NOT over packing for all of that. I would do a couple more light weight tshirts. You just never know how hot or cold.

I second the extra memory for your camera. You can easily burn through 1000 shots in a day. The scenery is just so spectacular that you want to capture it all. Also something to download pictures onto - lap top or tablet.

You'll want to definitely pack some OTC meds like tylenol, ibuprofen, immodium, pepto, neosporin and some bandaids, tweezers, nail clippers, etc. When we were in Ketchikan last summer a regular old tube of Neosporin was $11.99. NOT kidding.

Also suggest taking along some of your own travel size detergents - you can do laundry when you get to some facilities. Doesn't take up much room, but once used = free space for souvenirs.

have a fabulous, fabulous trip.

Here is our packing list of specialty items for Alaska. What have we forgotten?! (We've got the standard basics like underwear, pajamas, toilettries, medications, travel documents, currency, etc. covered, so don't worry about that.) Thank you in advance!

backpack (1 per person)

fanny pack (1 pp)

camera with waterproof bag, zoom lens, polarized UV filters, tripod, etc. (1 pp)

waterproof binoculars (1 pp)

1-quart water bottle (1 pp)

umbrella (1 pp)

100% DEET bug spray (1 pp)

sunscreen (1 pp)

polarized sunglasses (1 pp)

baseball caps (2 pp)

waterproof hiking boots (1 pp)

waterproofed leather sneakers (1 pp)

waterproof walking sandals (1 pp)

3-in-1 waterproof jacket with zip-out fleece lining that can be worn separately (1 pp)

2-piece rain suit with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

rain poncho with factory sealed seams (1 pp)

wind-proof cargo pants (1 pp)

windbreaker jacket with hood (1 pp)

fleece zip-ups (2 pp)

fleece hoodie (1 pp)

fleece vest (1 pp)

regular hoodies (2 pp)

sweatshirts (2 pp)

moisture-wicking socks (8 pp)

wool socks (12 pp)

wool glove liners (2 pp)

wool hats (2 pp)

wool scarf (1 pp)

ear muffs (1 pp)

silk long underwear (2 pp)

wool long underwear (2 pp)

jeans (4 pp)

cargo pants (4 pp)

shorts/capris (2 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - light weight (4 pp)

long-sleeve t-shirts - heavy weight (4 pp)

short-sleeve t-shirts (6 pp)

Hi allisons,

I am doing a ten-day cruisetour with lots of adventuresome excursions, maybe not as many days on land as you, but we're pretty similar activity-wise. I can pack everything I need for 7-10 days in one backpack by choosing my layers carefully and researching the conditions I'll be exposed to. I wear many of the same clothes in all my photos, but no one really notices but me. :)

You are doing what is called "fear packing," in other words, bringing things "just in case" of any and all adverse conditions. Do you really want to schlep all that stuff around, especially when you might not be able to fit all your outerwear in your daypacks anyway?

It's much better to underpack and to choose lightweight items that serve multiple purposes. You might miss one or two items from your list, but that will be offset by how grateful you will be at not having to pay for extra checked bags, carry heavy gear, tip for more luggage, etc.

Here's an example. If you get a pair of good quality hiking pants with a DWR (durable water repellent) finish, you won't need rain pants. They will adapt to many different conditions, are quick-dry, and wear extremely well. Mine are dressy enough to go from backcountry trail to a dinner at a nice restaurant. Good performance wear washes out in the sink, dries quickly, and is ready to wear the next day. Bring a small amount of laundry soap from home.

If you get merino wool socks, bring three pair per person . Three pair allows you to wash them out every couple of nights in the sink (so you don't have to do it every night) and a have clean pair to wear.

These are just some examples of how you can cut a LOT off your packing list. The key is to look for quick-dry, antimicrobial, moisture-wicking, fabrics and packable outerwear. Do NOT bring cotton! It takes forever to dry and if it gets wet during the day, you will get cold. No jeans, no t-shirts!

Thank you all for your help. I'm sorry I've been offline. My mother had emergency surgery on Friday and I've been in the hospital with her, but today is the first day I've brought my laptop to the hospital. After the 7-night cruise, we're doing 9 days and nights on land in Seward, Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, and Anchorage. We're doing lots of adventurous activities, such as hiking, walking on glaciers, white water rafting on a glacial river, glacier boat cruises, etc. That's why I'm concerned about having enough warm and waterproof clothes. I can try to post our full itinerary later. Thanks again for all of your great help.

I hope your mom will recover quickly and be home soon.

We've never done the land portion, only the cruise. Layers are so important and I found that things could be easily washed out in the sink OR if the ship has a self-serve laundry can do a load there if needed.

In Tracy Arm (out on deck for hours), I had a rain coat with hood, sweatshirt, blouse, silk thermal underwear, slacks, heavy socks, gloves, hat and I was cold. However in Ketchikan, I wore a windbreaker, blouse, slacks, heavy socks (lots of walking) and was fine even out on deck.

Both of our Alaska cruises we had one day of rain (not horrible), one deck of cruising (bundled up for this out on deck), and the rest was just nice. Have always cruised in September. This year we are cruising in May.

You have way way too much stuff. For example, I see 20 pairs of socks per person. How long are you going to be gone? Also, you have way too much cold weather stuff if you are going during summer or even spring.

Remember, your ship will have as a laundry.

My wife and I went on a 2 1/2 month driving trip through AK and I do not think that we took that much stuff. Photographic and optical equipment - yes. Clothes - not as much as you are planning to take.

Also, remember that AK has all the major stores. If you forget something, you can buy it.

The other thing to keep in mind when advising me what to pack is that I am always cold. I'm cold even in the summer. I'm cold even when our heat is on 72 degrees. When I'm cold, I feel like I'm in pain. I can't get warm. It makes me miserable. So I'm extremely nervous about going to Alaska. I fear that I will be cold, in pain, and miserable for 16 days and nights.

The other thing to keep in mind when advising me what to pack is that I am always cold. I'm cold even in the summer. I'm cold even when our heat is on 72 degrees. When I'm cold, I feel like I'm in pain. I can't get warm. It makes me miserable. So I'm extremely nervous about going to Alaska. I fear that I will be cold, in pain, and miserable for 16 days and nights.

I can sympathize with you. I now get cold to the bone, so have some of the same concerns as you. Never had problems before, but now with new meds being cold is a way of life. Told my husband I was packing my own blanket so I could curl up on the sofa and get warm. LOL. He understood. I'm the one with a jacket on when he is in short sleeves.

My recommendation is to cut back on the quantity of items you are taking. If I am cruising for 10 days, I pack clothes for 6 knowing that I can hand wash if needed or use the laundry (self-serve) if the cruise line offers it (not all do ... some only offer ship laundry services which can be expensive). Many feel it is vacation time and no laundry duties. I understand that too but have to watch the luggage weight. If over 50 lbs can really cost a lot of $ to fly the extra items .

I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well.

Hello to all in the packing it world... Does anyone know temps. in the start of July.. Doing a nice 7 day cruise. Being in NJ we have winter.. so we know what cold is for weeks at a time. Please let us know

JD

From one of the Alaska sites: http://www.alaska.com/about/weather/

Because temperatures can vary greatly, clothing selection is important when you're visiting Alaska. One word of advice: layers. Always dress in layers, whether you're hiking or just walking around town.

Even in the summer, bring a jacket to slip on when the sun slides behind the clouds. If you're planning a strenuous activity, consider dressing in something other than cotton. Clothing that wicks moisture away from the body and has the potential to dry quickly can be a real asset in Alaska's wilderness.

Temperatures in Interior Alaska usually get higher than in Anchorage or other coastal areas. Fairbanks' average high is 70 degrees in June, 72 degrees in July and 66 degrees in August.

http://www.alaskacruises.com/cruises/alaska-weather.html

There are charts here for the port and month with temperature and rainfall.

Allisons, you might think about those little thermal handwarmers that hunters use. Places like WalMart carry them. It's little packets that you shake and they warm up and stay warm for hours. Slip one in each glove or an inside pocket.

Good idea! I will!

I can sympathize with you. Told my husband I was packing my own blanket so I could curl up on the sofa and get warm. LOL. He understood. I'm the one with a jacket on when he is in short sleeves.

Milliesmom's if on the ship your Stewart can get you an extra blanket. That's what I did last summer. It might not be as warm as your own blanket.

I can sympathize with you. Told my husband I was packing my own blanket so I could curl up on the sofa and get warm. LOL. He understood. I'm the one with a jacket on when he is in short sleeves.

Milliesmom's if on the ship your Stewart can get you an extra blanket. That's what I did last summer. It might not be as warm as your own blanket.

Thanks. I was sure we could get extra blankets. It is fun teasing my husband that I am packing my own. He knows how cold I get. Also if we know they use wool blankets, I definitely would pack one of my own.

Those hand warmers are great to bring along, but also bring a plastic bag to put them in once you're back inside -- if you cut off their air supply they'll cool down and can be used again later. Also found fingerless gloves very "handy" in Alaska when taking pictures, etc. Did someone mention sunglasses?

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and hope things improve for her.

If you are cold all the time, you may be deficient in thyroid hormone. If you haven't been checked by your doctor, it may be a good idea to do so. Also, you may want to look up a physician familiar with Wilson's syndrome (about body temperature, not the copper one).

I am also bringing our own CamelBak water bottles to refill. We had these in Disney and they were a blessing! It's not a good idea to refill those thin plastic water bottles you buy from the store--too much plastic contamination with each refill. These types of plastic bottles are not meant for refilling.

Enjoy your trip and wishing the best for your mother.

Those hand warmers are great to bring along, but also bring a plastic bag to put them in once you're back inside -- if you cut off their air supply they'll cool down and can be used again later. Also found fingerless gloves very "handy" in Alaska when taking pictures, etc. Did someone mention sunglasses?

Great suggestions! Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, and hope things improve for her.

If you are cold all the time, you may be deficient in thyroid hormone. If you haven't been checked by your doctor, it may be a good idea to do so. Also, you may want to look up a physician familiar with Wilson's syndrome (about body temperature, not the copper one).

I am also bringing our own CamelBak water bottles to refill. We had these in Disney and they were a blessing! It's not a good idea to refill those thin plastic water bottles you buy from the store--too much plastic contamination with each refill. These types of plastic bottles are not meant for refilling.

Enjoy your trip and wishing the best for your mother.

Thank you! My mom is not doing well. She had a hip replacement, now has an infection, is on IV antibiotics through a pic line, and might need to have the hip removed. I'm staying with my parents indefinitely to help with the antibiotic infusions and wound care.

We're definitely bringing water bottles. CamelBak waters are a great suggestion.

Archived