Triumph 20/20 Troubled Waters Segment Online

MrPete

I saw it when it aired on TV. My take was that they only wanted to include the passengers that were really upset and didn't want to talk to any of those that had a positive attitude, like some of the ones CNN spoke with. It was geared to paint as horrible a picture of the episode as possible. Such a shame when they could have focused on the way the crew handled the difficulty and the way folks made the best of the situation. It could have been a positive comment on humans facing adversity instead of just trying to smear the cruise line.

My big complaint is that the "maritime lawyer" they interviewed stated that there is "no agency to enforce safety", which is unadulterated BS.

All countries are signatory to IMO regulations, the UN agency that regulates maritime affairs. The Bahamas, where the Triumph is flagged is the "agency" that must enforce safety regulations. The USCG, under provisions of the IMO regulations, conducts safety inspections of all passenger vessels that call in US ports.

What the lawyer meant was that US citizens have no control over the enforcement issues since the ship is not US flagged. That is a different kettle of fish, and something that we US mariners have been fighting for decades. However, as long as US citizens decide to take vacations on foreign flagged vessels, the USCG cannot be the central agency for safety enforcement that they are for US flagged vessels. Going on a foreign flagged cruise ship is just like taking a vacation in a foreign country, you are subject to that country's laws, and the limitations therein as different from US law.

I was part of NCL's Hawaii project that attempted to run 3 US flagged ships (with all US crews as required by law), and I know the problems encountered both from an operational cost and a guest service standpoint that ensued. This has resulted in the loss of two of those ships back to foreign flag status, and the Pride of America being the only US flag deep sea cruise ship. Had NCL done a better job, and had Americans decided to "support local" regardless of cost, the Hawaii project could have become a pilot for using US flagged vessels everywhere in the US.

I gave up believing most everything I see on entertainment/news shows like 20/20 etc. It seems to be directed at sensationalism muck-raking journalism where a biased, pre-set, one sided element of an issue is presented as complete fact. Debaters learn this as 16 year olds, but some people I know never seem to grasp the concept. Hope, ABC gets lots of hits. Considering where they are currently placing in network ranking viewership they need all the help they can get. :)

I saw it when it aired on TV. My take was that they only wanted to include the passengers that were really upset and didn't want to talk to any of those that had a positive attitude, like some of the ones CNN spoke with. It was geared to paint as horrible a picture of the episode as possible. Such a shame when they could have focused on the way the crew handled the difficulty and the way folks made the best of the situation. It could have been a positive comment on humans facing adversity instead of just trying to smear the cruise line.

When you become a news reporter or buy a network you can do the story you want. CNN did the story they wanted to do, which was to show how much worse the conditions were than on a normal cruise because of a fire on the ship. There are plenty of stories with the topic you wanted in the Cruise Critic media form. That's the beauty of all the sources of information we have now. Every side of the story is covered to death.

Archived