Summit march 8 2014

dkksk

I get March Break. I'm a teacher in Qc. What I don't get is why you went ahead and bought tickets when you knew there was a problem with this cruise? Your first post was on March 24th, then on the 26th after speaking with your TA. Even one way tickets were not available on those dates. Despite being aware that this ship was chartered, you went ahead and bought tickets. I guess I just wouldn't have done that. More cautious maybe.

Hopefully this will all work out for you. I do understand as I'd be disappointed if our cruise was chartered too. We love San Juan (and even better Rincon) so if our cruise was canceled, and air was purchased, some kind of other plan would be made.

We did not buy the one way airline tickets for the Summit, we bought them for the Southern itinerary. We know the Summit is chartered. We had hoped Celebrity would do some kind of cross offer to another ship such as Silhouette but when we were told flat out no, we just decided we'd choose from one of the other 3 ships sailing the Southern itinerary so that is our plan. If Celebrity provides some kind of cross offer to the RCI ships (which I've been told they have done in the past), then we will be pleased and will sail either Jewel or Adventure. If they don't, we'll be on the Carnival Valor.

I find this conversation very interesting because I am booked on the Century westbound through the Panama Canal for 4 Feb 2014 and our cruise disappeared two months ago. I have heard exactly NOTHING from Celebrity. The rumor on CC is that the ship is going into dry dock, but Celebrity is simply ignoring the people booked on this cruise. Very poor customer service. Very poor indeed.`

I get March Break. I'm a teacher in Qc. What I don't get is why you went ahead and bought tickets when you knew there was a problem with this cruise? Your first post was on March 24th, then on the 26th after speaking with your TA. Even one way tickets were not available on those dates. Despite being aware that this ship was chartered, you went ahead and bought tickets. I guess I just wouldn't have done that. More cautious maybe.

Hopefully this will all work out for you. I do understand as I'd be disappointed if our cruise was chartered too. We love San Juan (and even better Rincon) so if our cruise was canceled, and air was purchased, some kind of other plan would be made.

Nothing was "official" until last week regarding the cancelation of this cruise. Up until then it was all rumour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just returned from a great cruise on the Summit to Bermuda. To assuage my post cruise blues, I was looking for a spring break cruise and have wanted to do the southern Caribbean for a long time. What a great itinerary the Summit has! BUT, oh no, I could not find a March 8th cruise date. Yes, I am a teacher with kids in college. This is our spring break. Quelle bummer! I love the GLBT community, but I have to say Celebrity is making a mistake doing a charter during spring break. I sure hope they look after you folks who have booked. It is only fair to be up front and then offer a viable and equitable alternative.

but I have to say Celebrity is making a mistake doing a charter during spring break.

Not sure why it's a mistake. They are in business to fill ships with people every sailing. This one will be full. Good business. It just happens that rather than scattering the 2800 GLBT people looking to cruise that week (we also celebrate spring breaks you know, just like normal people do...) among 10 celebrity ships that week, we are all getting on a single ship.

This particular chartered sailing has already sold out of suites, concierge, aquaspa, and veranda cabins, and has limited ocean view and insides left. 6 months, out, thats pretty good, and Celebrity didn't have to pay to market it, Atlantis did all the work.

Additional benefit, they get to move people who may have been up in the air over multiple sailings to another ship that may have been partially filled that week. Oh, and our people do tend to enjoy our beer wine and spirits, so X will make a killing on the bar sales versus a normal weeks sailing that may be full of parents with small children. There have been Atlantis cruises in past where some alcohol was gone before arriving back in port. And the chartered sailing doesn't allow any of the 1-2-3 type promotions to apply, so X is not having to subsidize cabin sales with free offers and promotions. And finally, many of us may experience our first X sailing via Atlantis, and fall in love with the line spending our money for years to come on standard X sailings.

There may be a few unhappy displaced passengers who will claim to never come back to X over a single weeks unavailable itinerary, but frankly any one who would let a one-time thing piss them off so much, isn't really a customer worth having. Why can't these displaced people think of it simply as the sailing is sold out rather than chartered and I cant get on it. It is the same thing. I do have empathy for some who booked early and had to move. But those stories although are displayed loudly in this forum, are truly the exception rather than the norm relative to this. Most got offers of similar sailings, OBC etc for their troubles. Airlines cancel flights sometimes and so does the Cruise industry.

So overall, this is a very smart decision by celebrity to charter out the ship. They have my money for this and several upcoming cruises. :D

• 3 months later...

We were on a celebrity cruise a few years ago in March break time and we were delayed for well over two hours getting on....they were doing an extra cleaning of the ship!! When we finally got to our cabins, the TVs were on, as they usually are, showing many many photos of the previous weeks activities and passengers! Quite interesting! The staff said they were uncomfortable all week. They bring on their own entertainment when they charter the ship.

And yes, the previous week's cruise was a gay one.