What's your experience with price drops?

OceanPatter

Hi everyone--we're booked on an Alaska cruise in August, and the roll call is extremely quiet. I learned from Princess today that there's still a lot of room on the cruise. So, I'm wondering if they'll drop the price ... especially after our full payment is due (we're booked in a window suite).

If the price drops, would Princess give us a refund? How do you deal with price changes? Thanks much.

Hi everyone--we're booked on an Alaska cruise in August, and the roll call is extremely quiet. I learned from Princess today that there's still a lot of room on the cruise. So, I'm wondering if they'll drop the price ... especially after our full payment is due (we're booked in a window suite).

If the price drops, would Princess give us a refund? How do you deal with price changes? Thanks much.

We book with a TA and have had refunds before and after final payment.

It all depends on the type of fare you book in the first place.

If its a flash fare then its next to impossible to get a refund, and with a flash fare if you cancel and rebook at a new lower rate then you will most likely loose your deposit.

If you booked with Princess, and you see a price drop before you pay your final payment, then all you have to do is call them and ask for the lower price. Once you pay your final payment, price drops are not available to you. Princess will not notify you of price drops, you need to check yourself.

This happened to us on our Golden cruise, but we were able to get an upgrade AFTER our final payment was made when a price drop occurred within a week of final payment. My TA called PCL about the issue and we were upgraded from an Inside to an Obstructed OV cabin. So it never hurts to ask for some type of upgrade or OBC if a price drops occurs within the week you have made your final payment.

• 2 weeks later...
Once you pay your final payment, price drops are not available to you.

Incorrect. We have a cruise in 66 days, and I noticed last night that the fare had dropped by $50 per person. I called today, and they refunded $100 back to my credit card with no issues. (And no, we did not purchase Price Protection.)

Incorrect. We have a cruise in 66 days, and I noticed last night that the fare had dropped by $50 per person. I called today, and they refunded $100 back to my credit card with no issues. (And no, we did not purchase Price Protection.)
I've never heard of purchasing price protection on Princess. Who or where did you purchase that from?

If the price drops and you are eligible, you call call your TA or if you don't have a TA, call Princess. Many price drops are Flash sales for new bookings only so in order to get it, you would have to cancel your cruise, pay the cancelation penalty, and re-book.

I never worry about price drops as most of the time, I'm paying less than any price drop to start with thanks to my TA.

Archived