Carnival Liberty Review Eastern Review w/ Pictures

navybaby1113

Navybaby...welcome home. You missed the "cold weather" here.:D Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

I know you haven't got to it yet, but sounds like you got luck on the SJ shuttles. We waited over 45 minutes at the fort for a return shuttle when we were there. None came by so a group of us walked back to the ship. That was actually a nice scenic way to go.

Looking forward to the rest of the review.:)

Yes, we were definitely lucky on the way back. I was shocked when the shuttle was right there waiting.

Emiles has all the buffets located on the ship. This includes a Mongolian Wok, Deli, Taste of the Nations, and Fish and Chips. I do not have any pictures of these either.

If you walk all the way aft through Emiles, you will reach the aft pool which is adults only. This pool has a retractable dome that they're able to close in case of bad weather.

IMG_0850+copy.jpg

IMG_0852+copy.jpg

The line for Late Night Snacks and the Pizzeria is also located in this area.

IMG_0996+copy.jpg

IMG_0854+copy.jpg

IMG_0997+copy.jpg

Wonderful review so far! I love how you are explaining the layout of the ship with your pics!! Does the Liberty still have the mongolian wok? I thought I heard that they got rid of that :confused:

I am considering booking a cruise on the Liberty in January 2014 ... But a friend of mine just got off the ship two days ago and told me a few thing that has me rethinking about booking it now. :o

She told me the service has gone down. The food is not that good. Said a few times in the MDR food at times seemed reheated from the night before. :(

She said ST Thomas is a filthy island ... :confused:

Any info that you can give me would be great.

Thanks ;)

Wonderful review so far! I love how you are explaining the layout of the ship with your pics!! Does the Liberty still have the mongolian wok? I thought I heard that they got rid of that :confused:

It is still there. We had it the first day for lunch when we sailed on the Liberty.

I am considering booking a cruise on the Liberty in January 2014 ... But a friend of mine just got off the ship two days ago and told me a few thing that has me rethinking about booking it now. :o

She told me the service has gone down. The food is not that good.

Said a few times in the MDR food at times seemed reheated from the night before. :(

Thanks ;)

When we sailed on the Liberty back in January I wasnt all that impressed with the food. They rotated the same food through the buffet. It was standard Buffet food. The pizza and burgers were really good though.

Again I wasn't all that impressed with the food in MDR.

We didnt really explore the Island. But it was one of our favorite ports because of the excursion we went on. We did the catamaran and snorkeling. It was amazing and so much fun!

Edited by ShanZro

She told me the service has gone down. The food is not that good. Said a few times in the MDR food at times seemed reheated from the night before. :(

Thanks ;)

I was on the Liberty the week after the OP - Feb. 9-16. I have sailed 9 cruises on Carnival and 3 of them were on the Liberty. She is without a doubt my favorite ship of the Carnival Fleet. However, I was also very disappointed in the most of the food offerings this cruise. I don't know what has happened but both the service and quality of food has gone WAAAY down from our previous Liberty cruises. For the first time EVER, we skipped dinner in the MDR on 4 nights and ate at the buffet. The MDR service was extremely slow. I never ordered an appetizer, just entree and dessert and service seemed to get slower and slower. We decided to try the MDR one more time on the last night for our farewell WCC and it took well over 2 hours to get my entree and dessert. The food was good but often barely lukewarm - my guess is because it took the wait staff so long to get it to our table. We had my time dining and had a different wait staff every night. Only 1 night when we had a wait staff headed by an older gentlemen did we receive the service I am accustomed to on our Liberty cruises.

I had just returned from a cruise on the Paradise in January where the service was outstanding and the food hot and delicious - some of the best I've had on a Carnival ship, making the issues on the Liberty even more obvious.

I am sorry to report this as I adore the Liberty and our best cruise ever was on the Liberty. In fact, we are cruising the Liberty again at Thanksgiving and probably again in February 2014. I hope they get the issues in the MDR worked out so I can once again recommend the Liberty as the best ship in the fleet IMHO!!

Great review so far. Thank you for taking the time to do one, I know how time intensive they can be. Looking forward to reading the rest as we'll be on this same cruise in 7 weeks.

Thank you! I always love your reviews, so I'm so excited ya'll are finally getting married and going on your honeymoon cruise!

Thank you! And yes, they do still have the mongolian wok, which my husband was very happy about!

Thanks ;)

Our food was always delicious and fresh. Had great service the entire time.

Also, I thought St. Thomas was absolutely gorgeous. Yes, there are lower class areas, but you have those areas in the US as well. We did an island tour and really loved seeing the areas and the culture.

Keep reading my review and I'm sure by the end you'll be dying to book!

Okay, so let's knock a little more of this review out before I head to bed. This is a continuation of embarkation day.

After doing some touring around the ship, we decided to head back to our room to relax for a while. One thing we noticed while sitting in our room was how loud our neighbors were. We hoped this would not continue throughout the cruise, but sadly it seemed to be a constant theme.

While we were sitting in our room, we heard a thump on the door. We opened it up and found our luggage waiting for us. It was around 1:30pm at that point. The bags were delivered a little later than we expected, but still delivered earlier than everyone else, so I was happy.

We went ahead and unpacked so that we didn’t have to worry about it later. Between the closets, the shelves in the bathroom, and the drawers under the couch, there is more than enough space to put all your belongings.

IMG_0489+copy.jpg

IMG_0494+copy.jpg

IMG_0495+copy.jpg

I’ve seen some questions regarding the size of the safe on Cruise Critic lately, so I made sure to take a picture for you. We stored DH’s kindle, two wallets, two cell phones, and our passports in there and still had plenty of room. The safe definitely is not big enough to store a laptop or any large camera in there. We left DH’s laptop in his backpack and all the cameras in my camera bag (stored in the closet) and did not have any problems. I wouldn’t leave them out in plain sight because you never know who will walk by your door while the stewards are cleaning (they prop the doors open while they’re cleaning), but if you store them in a bag, I don’t think you’ll have anything to worry about.

IMG_0509+copy.jpg

After I finished unpacking, we laid down and took a nap for a little while. Sadly I ended up missing the meet & greet because of this but I was so worn out from all the traveling.

Muster Drill was scheduled to start at 3:30pm. They started making announcements on the intercom around 3:45pm talking about the proper procedure.

While they were talking on the intercom, our room steward, Iputu, stopped by to introduce himself. We asked him to unlock the mini bar and while he was there, he asked what I would like to be called. I’m assuming this is stemming from the people complaining on John’s blog about being called by the first name. I told him he could call me by my first name and that’s what he did for the remainder of the cruise (with a Miss added to the beginning :-))

Muster Drill was officially called around 4pm. There was a crew staircase located right next to our room, so we were able to just take those stairs up to our muster station. Thankfully we ended up in the very front row, which is so much better than the back. For the first time, I was actually able to see them put on a life jacket!

They released each side of the ship separately to keep the crowds down. They released the opposite side of the ship first. While we were waiting for them to call our side, we noticed the ship start moving. At that point, everyone got antsy to get up to deck, so the crew on our side released before Karl made the official announcement.

We ran back to our room real quick to pick up our camera and then took the stairs up to deck 9, which is our favorite place to watch sailaway from. I can say that was the only time I attempted to take that many flights of stairs. I almost died by the time I reached the top!

There were only a few other couples out on the deck and we were pleased to see that we were just turning around and not actually sailing out of the port yet.

We were docked with the Carnival Breeze and Disney Wonder, so it was interesting to see them as we sailed by. I had to laugh when Disney had a bigger sailaway party than either Carnival ship.

IMG_0515+copy.jpg

IMG_0518+copy.jpg

IMG_0521+copy.jpg

IMG_0524+copy.jpg

After sailaway, we went back to the room and changed for dinner. I noticed on the Fun Times that the Taste Bar was open tonight, so we decided to head up there and check it out. The theme for tonight was Blue Iguana Cantina and they were serving Chicken, Avocado, & Lime Tortilla Soup with Roast Pork with Green Chili Salsa, Aged Cojita Cheese, and Tortilla.

IMG_0558+copy.jpg

The pork was good, but extremely spicy! Soup was also pretty good. While we were at the Taste Bar, we did not see any drinks that they were selling with the food. That would have been really helpful to offset the spice of the pork