Will this be warm enough in May?

satchiesmom

We will be cruising to Alaska in May 2014. I have purchased a lightweight waterproof jacket (Marmot Precip) and have a Polartec 100 jacket and vest to wear underneath. Will this be warm enough for May? This will be our first time to Alaska and I have no idea what to bring other than the above and waterproof hiking shoes. These are my starting point.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

Susan

i come from the midwest so they would be for me. some information on where you live, and the exact date, itinery and what you plan too do on your cruise would help us give you betting tips. i only wear waterproofed tennis shoes as i dont walk or hike on a glacier or take long nature walks. i also have a lightweight nylong jacket i wear with a sweatshirt under it for out on the deck when it is breezy. layers are the key for alaska. :)

You are used to much worse weather in Cleveland than what happens in South east Alaska especially in May.

You have more than enough gear for your trip.

Excellent brands, excellent choices up to the hiking boots.

Unless you typically wear your hiking boots for ordinary walks around home, I would take something easier for packing to Alaska.

I haven't taken hiking boots to Alaska in over 20 years, but use instead water proof shoes with non-slip soles.

That said (as stated above) that if you are going to do heavy hiking, you should take along your hiking boots.

Thanks for the prompt replays dustyroads and Pennyagain. The hiking boots really aren't boots they are low hiking shoes (that's what they call them anyway) with good tread on the soles which was important to me since I can be pretty clumsy! :o We will be going to Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau and Glacier Bay if the itinerary for HAL is the same for 2014 as it has been the last few years, and I'm hoping it is and will be going in early/mid May. So excited about our first trip to Alaska and I'm pretty sure this won't be our last.

Susan

Thanks for the prompt replays dustyroads and Pennyagain. The hiking boots really aren't boots they are low hiking shoes (that's what they call them anyway) with good tread on the soles which was important to me since I can be pretty clumsy! :o We will be going to Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau and Glacier Bay if the itinerary for HAL is the same for 2014 as it has been the last few years, and I'm hoping it is and will be going in early/mid May. So excited about our first trip to Alaska and I'm pretty sure this won't be our last.

Susan

Your timeframe likely, will be colder and wetter, compared to third/forth week of May, which historically has much better weather stats.

Don't over pack, add a layer, if you get cold, which is in Glacier Bay- so decent warm gloves and hat are very important, unless not of interest.

Before our first Alaska cruise I assumed wrongly that Alaska was cold. The Inner Passage area is temperate. So if that's where you're going, you've got the right clothes. Layers! It's spring/summer not winter temps. (Though I seldom travel w/o my CuddleDuds!)

We just spray our walking shoes with water repellent.

If you need another layer, you can always buy an Alaska or cruise line sweatshirt.

Love, love, love my Marmot precip. I would suggest maybe waterproof pants as well (this is from my sister who has been there...she gave me this advise for our upcoming trip). The reviews on the Marmot pants were horrid. So I ended up getting Patagonia that fit and breath well (haven't had the opportunity to use them yet).

Archived