sharing beverage cards

But this is a cruise board. We're not here to discuss world famine or poverty. We're here to discuss activities related to cruising.

Then why are you discussing religion? This should stay on the topic and not bring religion in.

Right, wrong, or indifferent it is a fact of life people try and save money when and how they can. They may not all be right, but it is just a fact of life.

Has anyone ever gone to jail for sharing a drink card?

Then why are you discussing religion? This should stay on the topic and not bring religion in.

Right, wrong, or indifferent it is a fact of life people try and save money when and how they can. They may not all be right, but it is just a fact of life.

Has anyone ever gone to jail for sharing a drink card?

Who said anything about religion?

I completely agree with you - religion has nothing to do with the topic. I am NOT a religious person. I was discussing morals and ethics and how they relate to the sharing of the beverage card, which IS a cruise topic and the topic of this thread.

BTW, there is a difference between saving money and taking advantage or abusing the system.

It has nothing to do with going to jail or the legal system. It's all about trying to live an ethical life. Again, it has nothing to do with religion.

John, you need to look and pay attention to poster's locations.... It tells a lot. Many Texans tend to be Republicans and quite conservative and quite religious. (No, not all, but a great deal of them) - Lately it seems that people like this tend to try to manipulate religion into everything!! To some people, religion and ethics are pretty much the same thing. These people don't realize that they are two distinct areas.

I apologize in advance if I've offnended anyone. Yes, I made some generalizations, and sometime they fit, and sometimes they don't. If you fit, please don't take offense, and if you don't fit, please don't take offense. This is simply my constitution given right to express my opinion.

As far as sinning, you read me right. Recognizing that one's actions are wrong is the first step to correcting one's behavior and living a moral, ethical life. Feeling bad about it is just the first step. It's not a backdoor way to justify misdeeds. On the other hand, sinning, knowing that it's a sin, and shrugging it off is immoral.

Sorry my mistake I thought you had said something about sinning. To me sinning is part of religion is it not.

I may be from Texas, but that has nothing to do with religion either. There are many here that are what is called bible thumpers. I am far from that.

I just thought when you said something about sinning you were bringing religion into it. Is there another meaning for sinning?

Tony2000, maybe it was a poor choice of words. But to me, sinning does not automatically have to do with religion. Here's Merriam-Webster's definition:

a : an offense against religious or moral law b : an action that is or is felt to be highly reprehensible <it's a sin to waste food> c : an often serious shortcoming

So, the primary definition does reference religious or moral law. I will be more careful and not use the word when it can be misconstrued as having religious connotations. That just goes to show you where I'm coming from - to me, it didn't occur to me that sinning automatically concerns religion. Obviously, I use it in a moral, ethical and philosophical context.

MissLioness, thanks for the heads-up. I rarely look at where a poster is from.

Next are we going to argue about how some people eat more than their "fair share" at dinner? ooooooo, TWO entrees & "stolen" sodas... now that's something to talk about!

Actually, no, because all cruise lines make it clear that food is basically unlimited. In other words, there is an understanding between the two parties involved. You pay your cruise fare and the fare includes the food. That's not what's going on with the soda cards. The ship sells the card with the understanding that it will used for and by only one person. Not honoring that understanding is the crux of this issue.

And before I'm accused of making a mountain out of a mole hill, I fully recognize that it's not the end of the world if somebody abuses the soda card. I just don't think it's right that some people see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I will just bring on what I think I will drink, since neither the wife and I are big soda drinkers.

I only need a couple oz in a cup of ice and I'll add the rest from my special bottle in my room. Yes I will be bringing on liquor for use in my room. Guess this will start another war.

Actually, no, because all cruise lines make it clear that food is basically unlimited. In other words, there is an understanding between the two parties involved. You pay your cruise fare and the fare includes the food. That's not what's going on with the soda cards. The ship sells the card with the understanding that it will used for and by only one person. Not honoring that understanding is the crux of this issue.

That is true enough, but i have observed a thread on this site where people were complaining how "wrong" it is when other cruisers have more than one entree... & how many people on this site want a FREE UPGRADE on their cabin???? Surely it must be sinning to actually plan a way to get more than what you pay for.

That is true enough, but i have observed a thread on this site where people were complaining how "wrong" it is when other cruisers have more than one entree... & how many people on this site want a FREE UPGRADE on their cabin???? Surely it must be sinning to actually plan a way to get more than what you pay for.

The thread you're referring to centers around etiquette or manners. That's somewhat different from morals or ethics. It's more social custom, like eating with one's fingers instead of silverware. You are right, however, that people do argue about what's right or wrong when it comes to etiquette.

I think you're just trying to goad me on with your last sentence. My response is...it depends on what the plan is. If it's a plan that includes breaking the rules that you've agreed to, then it's ethically wrong. But wanting a free upgrade? Can't see anything wrong with that at all. No sin there because that's the way the system is set up. Of course, wanting the upgrade is different from expecting the upgrade. There's no ethical issue involved with either; it's just unwise to expect an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

and of course no one on this thread has ever drove above the speed limit, cursed at a bad driver, changed lanes without signaling, or found a $20 dollar bill and not asked everyone walking by if they had dropped it.

No ? Everything I just said is morally incorrect. Get off your damn high horses, I do everything I just listed sevreal times a day :-D (Except the $20, I never find money :()

I do not speed, I always use my signals, and my insurance rates reflect my perfect driving history...which is why I can afford a soda card. If however, I did speed and cut people off, I certainly wouldn't be a hypocrite and curse people who are doing the samething.

People will do what they want, now matter how trashy they look or what sort of example they set for their progeny. I am not telling anyone they shouldn't share a card that's between them and their conscience, I am just amazed anyone would think to do so.

so by doig one thing immoral, it just opens the flood gates to do everything immmoral?

Because someone speeds or doesn't use a turn signal, then "Oh well, might as well do everything immoral."

You can't rationalize doing one wrong thing because you've done something else wrong in the past.

I do not speed, I always use my signals, and my insurance rates reflect my perfect driving history...which is why I can afford a soda card. If however, I did speed and cut people off, I certainly wouldn't be a hypocrite and curse people who are doing the samething.

People will do what they want, now matter how trashy they look or what sort of example they set for their progeny. I am not telling anyone they shouldn't share a card that's between them and their conscience, I am just amazed anyone would think to do so.

I have occasionally been known to speed and i have not ALWAYS used a turn signal, but I also have aperfect driving record.

The fact of the matter is, this thread is just not worth getting worked up about. Calling someone 'trashy" for their decision to share a drink card just doesn't seem like it really matters considering things that are REALLY important right now in the world.

What is even more amazing is people worrying about what others do or might do. Just like the comment if you spent all this money on a cruise what does a few more dollars matter. With some they save every where they can to be able to go on a cruise, not everyone is rich and has money to blow.

Either way it is their choice on how they want to save money.

The other comment about I never speed and always signal, must be nice to be perfect.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Will you post your drivers license # so we may verify!

I know you will not so don't bother to respond with some additional droll remark.

NO ONE repeat NO ONE is a PERFECT driver or ANYTHING else.

PERFECT means you do not make ANY mistakes or errors, even the SMALLEST one! And remember by the book doing 31 in a 30 is STILL speeding.

I am sorry I cannot help you justify your choices. Again people will do what they like and will have to come to terms with their own consciences. I am sure many who commit welfare and insurance fraud think there's nothing wrong with it either. It's about character and ethics.

I am not going to post my license number nor would I post my social security number. I never said I was a perfect driver, though I strive to be...I stated my driving record (MVR) was perfect. I do try to do what is right, forgive me for it.

Such hostility, you'd think people actually felt guilty about something:). Saving money is not an excuse for doing what, in my opinion, is wrong. There's such a thing as karma and money saved in a less than honorable way is lost in others ways (insurance/poor driving habits scenario).

I know I will not change the minds of those who believe this is acceptable behavior. I will again reiterate that I am surprised people do or think to do, this sort of thing.

While I am not calling anyone trashy or cheap, the act of cheating is...again just my views.

humanity

compassion

forgiveness

With all that's going on in the gulf coast right now, arguing over the "right & wrong" of sharing a soda card is really rather insignificant.

Let's face it. Discussing anything having to do with cruising is insignificant. Cruising is a luxury and, in the greater scheme of things, unimportant.

I don't think anyone would claim that there aren't more pressing issues around the world, especially in the Gulf Coast right now.

All that said, this is a cruise board. We're here to discuss cruise-related issues, not the ills of the world. Just because we're discussing cruise-related issues doesn't mean we're downplaying anything that's truly important. We can and should discuss, debate and act on the truly important matters. But that's not what CC is for. We can and should go elsewhere to deal with those matters. Sharing a soda card happens to be a valid topic on CC. If someone wants to discuss it, it's appropriate to do it here.

Archived