How do Big People do on Caribbean Princess?

zackiedawg

Just wondering...having been on 20 cruises, I've rarely run into any problems with accomodations on cruise ships. RCCL seems to have large chairs, couches, optional no-armrest chairs throughout their ships. Celebrity's Summit was excellent for all sizes, with lots of spacious seating. The only ship that felt somewhat restrictive so far was the Coral Princess which I was on in 2003...most lounges only had narrow wooden chairs with armrests.

So if anyone who is large has been on Caribbean Princess, can you give any insight as to the general accomodations and comfort level of common lounges and public spaces?

I'm out-of-shape linebacker size - just shy of 6' 2" and 325 Lbs. I have only been on Princess once, and it had the smallest chairs I can recall - not to say that there weren't places in lounges where I could find a couch, stool, etc. And in the dining room, they even kept a few chairs without armrests on request.

I'm probably going to book for October...but hoped some Cruise Critic members might have some insight first!!

Thank you for any and all answers.

As someone who is somewhat "puffy", I've never had a problem with chairs or any other seating on a Princess ship. The dining room chairs are generous and there is bench seating in every lounge. The shower might be a bit of a challenge as it's quite small with a curtain that billows out but if that's the only thing that bothers you, it's relatively minor. One tip I can offer is to ask your steward for extra pool towels to use as bath towels. The ones they provide are on the small size. I do it all the time and it's not a problem.

zackiedawg,

I almost hate to say this, but I make you look kinda' small :)

Did the Caribbean Princess in March, going back in October - had very few problems.

Dining room chairs no problem, preferred the 'bench' seats in the buffet (chairs were o.k., but the benches were better)

Lounges no problem at all...

Showers sucked, but then again have never really had a roomey shower in 17 cruises...

Any more questions?

"Big" Ted

Zackiedawg - I see lots of sofas and large comfy chairs in the lounges. However, I do agree with another poster regarding a cabin. Unless you book a minisuite or higher, you will have problems with the shower and bathroom. The inside, outside and balcony cabins have very small showers....the size of a small telephone booth, and the bathroom is very small.

One way to circumvent the shower problem is to take them at the Lotus Spa. I read that little tip on the boards here. They have full, comfortable showers. Throw on your bathing suit, go in, take your shower, put the suit back on and back to your cabin!

I really can only afford inside cabins. Any sort of suite is far out of my reach, particularly as a single cruiser. Perhaps Princess is not for me.

No, don't give up on Princess quite yet! :eek:

As someone mentioned, you can easily enjoy your showers in the spa!!

Don't the Coral and Island have showers with doors, instead of the curtains, that are a little larger? Considering that most cabins are less than half the size of an average hotel room regardless of the line, small showers are likely to be a fact of life. You should manage okay. The majority of cruisers are not nearly as svelte as the people in the brochures - particularly if they really enjoy cruising and go back often. :)

Thanks all. Big Ted, that's good to hear on the dining room. On the Coral Princess, the dining room chair armrests dug in, which made them uncomfortable, but they scrounged up some chairs without armrests for me on the second night, which was nice. Deck chairs are usually OK, except the ones in the Lido food area, which are usually narrow with armrests. But on Coral, they did have some couch or bench seating up there which made it palatable. The seats in the main showlounge were a bit tight on the Coral...I didn't like that they are all individual seats...most ships have long benches or 'love' seat type arrangements in their main showlounge.

Big Ted - Do you recall what the main showlounge arrangement was on CP?

As for the room, I am booking a minisuite. I love the Princess minisuites - very comfy, big balconies, and nice bathroom. I never had a problem in the shower/tub on Coral. In fact, I've never really had a problem in cabin bathrooms - even the standard cabins on RCCL provided enough room to move around while washing...though the curtains on some ships do try to get intimate with me. But I'd rather have a clingy curtain than a too-small stall.

Moonvine, I wouldn't worry too much about avoiding Princess for the bathrooms in the standard cabins...all the cruise lines have tiny base cabins and tiny bathrooms...out of 20 cruises, I've seen lots of cabin bathrooms, and they aren't that different. Though there is mention of the small showers and the clingy curtains, you can still fit in there and get the job done. You just have to deal with the curtain coming in on you, and not alot of room to bend over - so don't drop anything! ;) But us bigguns can still manage in the regular bathrooms. Heck, I even let the curtain swing away - so what if water pours on the bathroom floor? It has a drain too, so no damage done! And I've NEVER been on a ship I couldn't find places to sit or be comfortable - I just like to know in advance how many choices there are. Many common lounges have very narrow seating, but usually have a bench or couch along the sides or throughout, so there is still somewhere to sit. Some ships stand out in offering very accomodating seating throughout the lounge - and that's what I am hoping to learn about the Caribbean Princess.

RCCL ships are usually plenty accomodating for American waists...with alternate types of seating in virtually every public space.

Celebrity deserves a special award for big & tall accomodations - every single lounge or room had tremendous, large, sturdy furnishings, plenty of armrest-free seating, and even the lido dining area had 50% with armrests and 50% without. Excellent arrangement. And despite staying in the smallest cabin (170sq ft.), the shower felt vast, with room to twist and turn, bend over, and stretch without the clingy-curtain syndrome.

It sounds as if there may be a few lounges on Caribbean that I'll have to search out the bench or couch seating, and hope it's available. I still had a wonderful cruise on Coral Princess despite it feeling less accomodating than the other lines...and I am curious to try out one of Princess' strange big ships (is it me, or do the Grand-class from the front look like ducks with wraparound sunglasses on?).

I'm 6'3" 260 pounds. I sailed on the Golden in a mini-suite and did not have any size related issues. On previous cruises on Carnival and RCI I did find the bathroom showers small, but no major problems.

Hey zackiedawg...

Forgot to mention the show lounge - yuk - all theater style seats.

However as I said I am at least the next size up ( :) ) from you and I made it into them and through each and every show. Just not the most comfortable 90 minutes of the night. Also almost impossible to use your 'fold away drink holdin' table' since that area is occupied by fluff!

Make sense?

B__ Ted

Also almost impossible to use your 'fold away drink holdin' table' since that area is occupied by fluff!

Make sense?

B__ Ted

Yep...I know those. Sounds about as usable as the fold-down trays on airplanes, which if they are on the seat in front sit at a 45 degree angle on my knees, and if they are tucked in the armrest, aren't even worth the effort to try!

Thanks for the theater info...that's what it looked like in the pics. I guess squeezing in for a few shows can be withstood.

Here's a site that has a "virtual gallery" of cabins, public rooms, etc. on cruise ships. Not all ships are listed but if you scroll down to the Star Princess, it's very similar. The main difference between the Star and Caribbean Princess is the extra deck and the Cafe Caribe:

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/galleryships.htm

I'm nearly 6 foot and a little over 300. Been in a regular balcony room, a full suite and will be staying in a mini (however we've been in one on a tour of the Sapphire). I've never had a problem in ANY of them. Was the shower small in the balcony room, yes, but I've also been in hotels with narrow tubs that had less room. The good thing is the curtain is flexible and the door opens if you have to pickup the soap, if you know what I mean :D . The main reason I think we're locked in on the mini's is the extra SITTING room (the couch). Don't like sitting on a bed all the time and or a small writing desk chair.

Archived