Bring your own snacks?

Scrapnana

I've been faithfully following the blogs from this year's world cruises (many thanks for those who are taking their time to write these). In at least one the writers told about buying snack food in various ports. I was a little surprised because I have never been on a cruise where I could not find something to snack on if I got hungry. But maybe it is different on a world cruise when you are away from some of your favorites for months. So, those of you who have done a WC or any extended voyage/WC segment, did you need to bring certain snacks with you?

Thanks!

We are currently on a world cruise and for us we do not bring snacks in the sense of having something that we will miss when traveling. However, on a few past World Cruises in a few selected ports where we were on a private tour where we wanted to avoid eating lunch either because out time was limited or because we did not want to take the chance of eating the local food we took a snack with us such as a protein bar.

Other then that I am sure there are some who might bring a favorite snack that they cannot get on the ship or they make arrangements with the cruise line a few months before boarding to have such a snack available on board for them. Some cruise lines can do this.

Keith

I've been faithfully following the blogs from this year's world cruises (many thanks for those who are taking their time to write these). In at least one the writers told about buying snack food in various ports. I was a little surprised because I have never been on a cruise where I could not find something to snack on if I got hungry. But maybe it is different on a world cruise when you are away from some of your favorites for months. So, those of you who have done a WC or any extended voyage/WC segment, did you need to bring certain snacks with you?

Thanks!

Hi Scrapnana,

When we did last years World Cruise with Princess, I did miss all my healthy snacks. At most ports, I headed for the best supermarket and bought what I could. It got to the stage where our closet resembled my home pantry.

Carrefour, especially in Dubai was fantastic and so inexpensive. They had wonderful dates, nuts and seeds and also lots of healthy bars.

In Istanbul we headed to the markets and purchased dried figs and apricots and also found some fantastic stores that had nut bars. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. DH almost had aploplexy when he saw the "commerical" quantities I had bought, but was the first to be disappointed when they were all eaten.

Sure, the ship did have some snacks, but I was happy with my purchase and they came in handy when we didn't feel like a meal, and just wanted a snack.

Nicki

Archived