Herod didn't respond and Spencer Ambrose gets mixed review...now what?

Bluewake

Although we won't be in St. Lucia until next January (I know it's a long way from now!) but we definitely want to reserve a land and sea tour from one of the operators discussed on Cruise Critic. We decided on Herod's based on what we read but we've been trying to reach Herod for over a week and haven't gotten a response. Kind of makes us wonder if Herod is going to be difficult to deal with. Next idea was Spencer Ambrose but he gets really mixed reviews...we've read several posts saying "best tour we did" and just as many saying "worst tour we ever did" about Spencer...those sort of very mixed reviews make us very hesitant to use him. So, we have started to look at either Serenity or James. Would love to hear from folks who have used Serenity or James for the land and sea tour and what you thought? Much thanks!

Mmmm . . . I was a bit perplexed by St Lucia and that's why I booked the Ambrose trip which turned out to be barely OK - about 5/10. For me, booking a tour is a bit of a defeat as we really like doing our own thing and on Antigua, St Kitts, Dominica, Martinique and Barbados we rented a car and had no trouble at all. However, I was put off doing that in St Lucia because so many people on here talked about the terrible state of the roads. Well, St Lucia's roads are no better and no worse than anywhere else so if I went back (which I won't) I would definitely rent a car. That way I wouldn't have to stop at Ambrose's trinket stalls and snake charmer rubbish.

Edited by Fletcher

We also contacted Herod and he did not respond. We are booked with Cosol, but really are looking for a land and sea tour. Serenity will not book you with a land and sea tour if you are on a cruise ship unless there are at least 8 in your group. They have had close calls with the passengers nearly missing the ship and now insist on a dedicated boat back to the ship just for cruise passengers.

I feel the same way about Spencer Ambrose's reviews. So we are also wondering what to do in St. Lucia!

I can only give you my experience but we booked with Spencer a couple years ago and had a great time. I read the mixed reviews as well and was hesitant so I emailed him before I booked and asked a bunch of questions. He was very quick to respond and had acceptable answers to my questions.

We took the land and sea tour and it was very nice. He does stop along the way which I didn't mind because it gives you a more personal interaction with the people and there wasn't any pressure to buy. He also made a stop and brought on board some bread for us to sample and it was really good.

We are going back to St Lucia in two weeks and booked the Sea Tour with Spencer so we could get more time at the beach.

I believe he tries his best to make the tours as enjoyable as possible and he is very aware of the reviews he gets and the impact to his business as he mentioned this to me in his response and once again at the port when we got to St Lucia.

My experience with Spencer last year was excellent. We did the beach break. The land and sea people that we met at the end of the day were very pleased with their tour. I felt that Spencer and his staff were very attentive to their clients and went out of their way to be on time. I have no reservations in recommending him.

Just did Spencer's tour last Thursday - stay away. It was overcrowded, not enough beach chairs, cold food, and poorly organized. He did mention that he had 160 people take his tours that day, most ever, and there were issues

Don't give up on Herod. I have been in touch with him several times so far this year and have had to resend emails a couple of times. It appears that emails have a problem getting to him at times. Just resend a couple of times....he will eventually answer.

We were in St Lucia last month, and did the tour with Cosol. Our friends on board booked with Spencer. Both of us enjoyed the time and attention that the tour operators put into their product. Our only problem was being in a van going around the island most of the day. If you get carsick easily, the windy and hilly roads of St Lucia will surely test that.

Both Spencer and Cosol tours end up at the beach in Jalousie in the afteroon. One of the differences was Cosol took us in a van back to the cruise terminal. Spencer took you, by boat, from Jalousie to the cruise terminal. Spencer cost a little more than Cosol and perhaps that is why.

we toured with Joe Knows. The day was excellent! I highly recommend them. Most of their business is people for the Sandals resorts, but the accommodate cruise ship passengers with no problem. They use a speedboat both ways to Soufrie, then transfer to vans to see the volcano, waterfall, and lunch. Got a great view of the pitons from the water, as well as land. So much fun!

We used Spencer last week and it was WONDERFUL!! My entire group had a fantastic time. We did the Jalouise Beach Break. I have also used him in the past for the Land and Sea Tour, as well as sent clients on his tours many times -- all were exceptional and I had happy clients. He was very quick to answer emails and questions and it was very organized and our favorite excursion for the week.

I would use him again in a heartbeat. Please do not be worried. He's a wonderful person and you will really enjoy your day.

I can only give you my experience but we booked with Spencer a couple years ago and had a great time. I read the mixed reviews as well and was hesitant so I emailed him before I booked and asked a bunch of questions. He was very quick to respond and had acceptable answers to my questions.

We took the land and sea tour and it was very nice. He does stop along the way which I didn't mind because it gives you a more personal interaction with the people and there wasn't any pressure to buy. He also made a stop and brought on board some bread for us to sample and it was really good.

We are going back to St Lucia in two weeks and booked the Sea Tour with Spencer so we could get more time at the beach.

I believe he tries his best to make the tours as enjoyable as possible and he is very aware of the reviews he gets and the impact to his business as he mentioned this to me in his response and once again at the port when we got to St Lucia.

We used Spencer last week and it was WONDERFUL!! My entire group had a fantastic time. We did the Jalouise Beach Break. I have also used him in the past for the Land and Sea Tour, as well as sent clients on his tours many times -- all were exceptional and I had happy clients. He was very quick to answer emails and questions and it was very organized and our favorite excursion for the week.

I would use him again in a heartbeat. Please do not be worried. He's a wonderful person and you will really enjoy your day.

Don't know how you can say this, we were there last week and didn't enjoy our day at all.

Sorry to hear that,but our group really enjoyed our excursion. Not one person in our group disliked it or had any issues. I was the coordinator, so of course if they had complaints, I would have been the one they would have complained to since I organized the tour.

Don't know how you can say this, we were there last week and didn't enjoy our day at all.

Sorry to hear that,but our group really enjoyed our excursion. Not one person in our group disliked it or had any issues. I was the coordinator, so of course if they had complaints, I would have been the one they would have complained to since I organized the tour.

I was on the tour as well and thought it was great. Spencer & staff had us there early and attended to our needs. I thought the food was great, the drinks good, and the beach amazing. Truth be told I was probably enjoying the water more than sitting on a lounge chair. Bathroom was far better than my last trip there. Goodness what a view. Does it matter if all seats on the boat are full? Maybe after almost 30 cruises I am a bit more laid back. Really sorry for those that feel it was not worth it. This is my 2nd trip and would recommend it again.

Kathy Dunn

My Husband and I were recently on the Spencer Jalouise Beach Break tour. We had a fabulous time! The food was great...had seconds! And the rum punch had a very good 'punch' to it! Spencer and the rest of the crew were really great to us.....we had some good laughs! On our way to the beach our driver was very informative and stopped a few times for great photo ops! On the way back (upon our request) we stopped to allow a few of us to jump in the water.....!

I have no reservation in recommending Spencer's tour to anyone...in fact

will do his tour again whenever we return to St. Lucia.

I was a passenger on a tour booked by a friend with Herod in 2010. I don't require a beach chair, I'm usually walking, in the water, or in the shade somewhere. I enjoyed the tour that year, but wished for more time on Jalousie Beach. We toured the coast and made one stop prior to our arrival between the Pitons. The view was incredible from that beach....now one of my favorite places to visit !

Another friend handled the booking on my trip last week, this time with Spencer. They heeded my advice and went to the Pitons and Jalousie Beach first. The free beach chairs went pretty quickly, and the area they occupy is pretty small....but I don't go to this beach to sit under a palapa all day. The entire beach is public, yet I saw very few people who just used their beach towel to sit on. Does everyone except me worship beach chairs ? There are plenty of Caribbean beaches with wall to wall loungers for $5-15 per day, all you have to do is oil up and hop in the can with the rest of the sardines....I mean, sunbathers.

But I digress. Jalousie Beach has clear water, lots of fish, some shade, some free chairs, and an incredible view. I thoroughly enjoyed both tours, but preferred Spencer's only because it allowed for more time at Jalousie. We had no problems whatsoever with either company. Both had excellent employees. I would recommend either without hesitation. Oh, if you want a smoother ride, sit behind the captain.

I was part of a group that booked Spencer's Jalouise Beach Break Tour a few weeks ago and we all had a wonderful experience! Spencer was prompt in meeting our large group and we only waited a few minutes before boarding the boat. For safety purposes, only a certain amount of people were allowed on the boat so he did not recruit others to join our group.

The beach was beautiful, bathroom clean, drinks plentiful and the food was great! Spencer and his staff were receptive to our needs and took great care of us. Our whole group had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend this tour. In fact, I have a group of friends visiting St Lucia in a few months and have already provided them with Spencer's contact information so they can enjoy this tour too.

• 2 months later...

I posted this to another forum already....

Just finished the Jalousie Beach Break with Spencer.

He was very efficient and we were the first people on the beach so we had our choice of chairs. I think the land and sea tour came later.

The snorkeling was good with lots of fish and coral. There are a ton of fish That are right at the beach so young kids can literally wade in and just put their face in the water to see fish.

Someone referred to the food as "slop" which is ridiculously ignorant. It was delicious, home cooked, traditional Caribbean food that was sooooo good. It included BBQ chicken, green banana salad which tasted like artichoke hearts, rice and beans, and salad.

The boats were never crowded and the ride was a little bumpy but expected.

Our guide Terry was outstanding and was constantly checking with us to see if we needed anything (drinks, food, snorkel equipment, etc). He was wonderfully attentive and informative.

I can't wait to go back and use Spencer Ambrose tours again.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked Herod tours for our visit there back in December 2012. It took a few days, maybe a week for his reply in which he told me that our ship wasn't expected in on the day I gave him.....he was right and I was wrong. Back to him with the correct date and booking confirmed, probably again it took a week. He is taking tours out himself on most days and probably doesn't get to the computer that often. Well worth waiting...it was an excellent tour.

We booked Herod tours for our visit there back in December 2012. It took a few days, maybe a week for his reply in which he told me that our ship wasn't expected in on the day I gave him.....he was right and I was wrong. Back to him with the correct date and booking confirmed, probably again it took a week. He is taking tours out himself on most days and probably doesn't get to the computer that often. Well worth waiting...it was an excellent tour.

Do you have Herod's email address? I've already done the "contact us" twice on his website for information on booking for our January 2014 cruise and I have yet to hear back from him. He was referred from a friend plus his prices are $20 cheaper then Spence Ambrose so with a family of 5, thats a good savings.

We were just on Carnival Valor at the beginning of May and booked Spencer Amrose's "Jalousie Beach Break" as soon as our cruise was booked. He was very quick to respond and the communication was great. We met where we were supposed to meet when the ship docked and everything was very organized. Spencer had a list of each tour and under each tour was a list of named of people who were scheduled. He separated each of his tours (Jalousie Beach Break, Land Tour, Piton Hike, etc.) into separate groups. When we checked in, he collected payment right away. He said he used to collect from everyone either at Jalousie Beach (many of his tours have a stop there) or at the end. He also mentioned the negative reviews he's read and takes them all to heart. He said he appreciates feedback so that if someone has a negative experience, he can make changes as needed. We had a great time and had Spencer with our group the whole day and all I can say was that we had a great experience and a lot of fun. The scenery of Jalousie Beach is spectacular, great snorkeling, the home cooked meal was great (BBQ chicken, two different kinds of rice dishes, green banana salad, potato salad, green salad, and there were 4 types of "root type" foods, Tarro root was one - all very good). There were also unlimited drinks (rum punch, Piton Beer, soft drinks & bottled water). Since we were on the "Beach Break" (speed boat ride to and from), we stopped at several locations for pictures on the way back. This tour was probably the best we've done and wouldn't hesitate to book with Spencer again in the future and we'd probably do the land tour to see some of the other sights.

We were just on Carnival Valor at the beginning of May and booked Spencer Amrose's "Jalousie Beach Break" as soon as our cruise was booked. He was very quick to respond and the communication was great. We met where we were supposed to meet when the ship docked and everything was very organized. Spencer had a list of each tour and under each tour was a list of named of people who were scheduled. He separated each of his tours (Jalousie Beach Break, Land Tour, Piton Hike, etc.) into separate groups. When we checked in, he collected payment right away. He said he used to collect from everyone either at Jalousie Beach (many of his tours have a stop there) or at the end. He also mentioned the negative reviews he's read and takes them all to heart. He said he appreciates feedback so that if someone has a negative experience, he can make changes as needed. We had a great time and had Spencer with our group the whole day and all I can say was that we had a great experience and a lot of fun. The scenery of Jalousie Beach is spectacular, great snorkeling, the home cooked meal was great (BBQ chicken, two different kinds of rice dishes, green banana salad, potato salad, green salad, and there were 4 types of "root type" foods, Tarro root was one - all very good). There were also unlimited drinks (rum punch, Piton Beer, soft drinks & bottled water). Since we were on the "Beach Break" (speed boat ride to and from), we stopped at several locations for pictures on the way back. This tour was probably the best we've done and wouldn't hesitate to book with Spencer again in the future and we'd probably do the land tour to see some of the other sights.

Thanks for the review. I'll keep that in mind if Herod doesn't get back to me.