A tip for easy embarkation in Seattle

hcf

Here is something I just learned from my recent cruise to Alaska. When you get to the Pier 66 terminal, get a porter (in yellow jacket) to take your luggage instead of dragging them to the baggage check-ih yourself and wait in the long line. The porter will take care of your luggage and get them checked in while you can go straight into the main building to register and board the ship. This service is free, but tipping the porter would be nice.

If you are a latitude member, you can baord at any time.

While the paperwork tells you when boarding begins, you can actually go at least 2 hours prior and not have to be in a crowd later.

Disembarkation is also fast and efficient to Seattle. If you don't have anywhere to rush to, you can request the tag color that would allow you to disembark last. It is leisurely because it gives you time to have a sit-down breakfast and most of the crowd has left.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Hi hcf,

When we were embarking at Pier 66 last year, they checked everyone's cruise tickets and citizenship documents in the luggage line outside door 2 on the street level of the building to make sure everyone dropping off luggage was a bona fide passenger before they accepted it.

If you give your luggage to the porter, you can bypass this step and do not have to show documents until you get to the check in counter? ( Or do the porters conduct this check?)

Even if you drop your luggage in the shuttle trailer that takes people from the parking garage to the terminal, the shuttle guys check your documents and picture ID before loading the luggage, so it seems like they take this safety precaution seriously. The NCL guy at the luggage door even asked us if we had pictures of the kids, which we did not expect.

We also like to go early. Last year we checked in by 11:30 (Latitudes members), waited for about 45 minutes for the ship to clear customs, then were among the first 50 or so to board.

Love your suggestion about a leisurely debarkation morning. This is how we love to do things and why we love Freestyle disembarkation.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi hcf,

When we were embarking at Pier 66 last year, they checked everyone's cruise tickets and citizenship documents in the luggage line outside door 2 on the street level of the building to make sure everyone dropping off luggage was a bona fide passenger before they accepted it.

If you give your luggage to the porter, you can bypass this step and do not have to show documents until you get to the check in counter? ( Or do the porters conduct this check?)

Even if you drop your luggage in the shuttle trailer that takes people from the parking garage to the terminal, the shuttle guys check your documents and picture ID before loading the luggage, so it seems like they take this safety precaution seriously. The NCL guy at the luggage door even asked us if we had pictures of the kids, which we did not expect.

We also like to go early. Last year we checked in by 11:30 (Latitudes members), waited for about 45 minutes for the ship to clear customs, then were among the first 50 or so to board.

Love your suggestion about a leisurely debarkation morning. This is how we love to do things and why we love Freestyle disembarkation.

Thanks for the tips!

This year we only had to show the porter our cruise tickets and made sure each piece of luggage was tagged with names matching the tickets. He said he would take care of getting the luggage and directed us to the main building to do the registration, photo ID process, passport checking, etc. and board the ship. Very efficient process.

This service is free, but tipping the porter would be nice.

If you are a latitude member, you can baord at any time.

/QUOTE]

When we went out of Seattle two years ago we found this service to be unbelievable. We probably had about three large and one or two small pieces of luggage for the six of us traveling together. When I pulled out the money to tip the porter I had one five and a couple of twenties. I wanted to give him $10. He saw what I had. I handed him a twenty and he refused it and took a five instead. I said, "No." and told me twenty was too much. I said five wasn't enough and he said, "That's OK, get me next time."

We checked in through Latitudes and we were the FIRST passengers on the ship. Talk about starting the vacation off on the right foot!

I have sailed with NCL once before. Does this make me a Latitudes member? If so, should I have a card or something to identify myself as a Latitudes member if I want to use the their check-in line?

As far as Latitudes membership, you have an opportunity to join aboard ship during your first cruise. If you don't do it then, I imagine that you have to have NCL check their records for your previous cruise and send you the application. You do get an ID number and membership card, and pins (though this is new, did not get them when I first joined about 10 years ago). Members get priority embarkation in some ports, special cruises and discounts. It is worth joining.

I arrived in the parking structure at Pier 66 at about 10am on a sailing day that had a 1pm "posted" embarkation time and the guys were there with the shuttle van and luggage trailer, ready to get folks going on their vacation. You could drop your luggage, park, then come back so show them ID and get a lift over to the terminal.

I will say that I am happy to live in a part of the world where it is very common to see niceness from strangers on a daily basis.:)

We are actually going to walk down to Pier 66 from Belltown to be there when they open the doors at 7:30. Will drop off bags then go off for our usual Sunday morning walk and be back after the debarkaation crush is over, but early enough to be in the first group(s) to board. Yes, Julie, it is nice to live close by and to have helpful people on hand. I just can't wait for September to get here--not happening soon enough.

I have sailed with NCL once before. Does this make me a Latitudes member? If so, should I have a card or something to identify myself as a Latitudes member if I want to use the their check-in line?

You can call Latittude directly and tell them you had cruised with NCL before with the ship anme and date. They should be able to find you and put your Latittude # in their computer so that it will show up in the Seattle port computer when you board.

:)

Archived