Summit Review 1/26/13-Old San Juan pre-cruise, cruise & ports of call (with pictures)

beachlover98

Thanks for your review and all of your tips, especially the apartment rental in SJ. We are headed to the Summit in March 2014 and this will be very helpful.

Enjoy your rental in OSJ. I've already booked mine for next January and I can't wait!

Puerto Rico has so much to offer, it's nice to spend at least a couple days pre-cruise. This will be my 8th cruise sailing from San Juan and I like to spend as much time in OSJ as possible before the cruise. By now I think I'm going just for the food! :p

Enjoy your rental in OSJ. I've already booked mine for next January and I can't wait!

There must be some hotels in OSJ? We cannot take an extra 3 days pre-cruise (not enough vacation time GRRR) but we could spend an extra day for sure and I think it would be nice to be in OSJ... What do you think gang?:confused:

So far, the apartment in SJ is great option to experience the city, and these sea turtles in Barbados are so cute so I would for sure include this in our Bridge town trip

I would most definitely recommend the sea turtles in Barbados. Six of the times I've visited Barbados on a cruise I've gone swimming with the turtles. I'm such a huge animal lover it's definitely one of my favorite excursions. They really are so cute!!

Also, the apartment in OSJ, if one can swing the extra pre-cruise days, is definitely a good way to experience the old town. The history, the architecture and oh, the food! It's so much fun.

There must be some hotels in OSJ? We cannot take an extra 3 days pre-cruise (not enough vacation time GRRR) but we could spend an extra day for sure and I think it would be nice to be in OSJ... What do you think gang?:confused:

LOTS of hotels, just look at Tripadvisor.com or look here in the ports of call section. We stayed a Villa Herencia in Old San Juan, and loved it!

LOTS of hotels, just look at Tripadvisor.com or look here in the ports of call section. We stayed a Villa Herencia in Old San Juan, and loved it!

Yes, there are hotels in OSJ, but not nearly as many as over in the Condado/Ocean Park/Isla Verde area of San Juan.

I believe most of what's in OSJ are more "boutique" type hotels. I'm not sure how others would classify them. Then there is the Sheraton right at the pier that is one of the "chain" hotels. I've stayed there a couple times. It was ok. Nothing special.

I've also stayed at the El Convento, again what I would consider a "boutique" hotel. Dating back to the 1600's it was a convent that was recently converted to a hotel. It's absolutely beautiful. The decor is really nice and the rooftop pool area is very pretty. The only downside is it's a little on the pricey side. We definitely had a very pleasant stay there, though.

Yes, there are hotels in OSJ, but not nearly as many as over in the Condado/Ocean Park/Isla Verde area of San Juan.

I believe most of what's in OSJ are more "boutique" type hotels. I'm not sure how others would classify them. Then there is the Sheraton right at the pier that is one of the "chain" hotels. I've stayed there a couple times. It was ok. Nothing special.

I've also stayed at the El Convento, again what I would consider a "boutique" hotel. Dating back to the 1600's it was a convent that was recently converted to a hotel. It's absolutely beautiful. The decor is really nice and the rooftop pool area is very pretty. The only downside is it's a little on the pricey side. We definitely had a very pleasant stay there, though.

Thanks! I can't wait for this trip to happen... not used to book so much in advance!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Our first port of call was sunny Barbados! Barbados is one of my favorite islands – I absolutely love the sea turtles, and go see them every chance I get.

The ship arrived on time, and disembarking was quick and painless, as it was at all our ports of call – we never had problems getting off on time or dealing with crowds. We always book independent shore excursions, so it’s important that the ship docks on time and we’re able to get off efficiently to get to the meeting point.

We booked the full day catamaran sail with Calabaza. This was my third year in a row sailing with them, and they do a great job. Gina is a sweetheart, and so easy to work with when booking this sail online. Her son Danny captains the boat and is a lot of fun. Chad, a local who works on the boat is a great guy. He's always been working the day we've sailed with Calabaza and he is awesome! He loves the sea turtles (and has a tattoo to prove it!), and they love him right back. He's always the one who goes in the water with us and feeds the turtles so they hang around.

We had fabulous weather that day and the sailing was fantastic! The water was a little churned up due to recent storms, so the clarity wasn’t ideal, but the turtles always make an appearance:

P1130237_zps686e6372.jpg

P1130241_zpscb4396f9.jpg

P1130243_zps9404ec80.jpg

P1130244_zpse9ed395e.jpg

Chad and "Timmy":

P1130256_zpsd3b51b1a.jpg

P1130259_zps8605c6e7.jpg

Besides the stop to swim with the turtles there was another snorkel stop over a shipwreck. Mark and I just stayed on the catamaran and relaxed. We get to snorkel plenty and it was just so relaxing on the catamaran with the beautiful water and a rum punch in hand. We were content.

The full day sail with Calabaza includes an open bar all day, snacks and a delicious lunch that Gina prepares. She is a fabulous cook! Lunch was delicious. We felt so pampered all day, as we always do when we sail with them.

Wow, this looks amazing. I will have to look them up when we finally make it to Barbados.

Edited by MillbrookMom

Puerto Rico has so much to offer, it's nice to spend at least a couple days pre-cruise. This will be my 8th cruise sailing from San Juan and I like to spend as much time in OSJ as possible before the cruise. By now I think I'm going just for the food! :p

Speaking of food...is there anywhere in particular you would recommend?