Summit Review 1/26/13-Old San Juan pre-cruise, cruise & ports of call (with pictures)

beachlover98

Our next stop was St. Lucia; this was one of our favorite days out of the whole cruise. They were all fantastic, but here we were lucky enough to do something a little different than your typical tourist-y island tour or snorkeling trip. I had visited St. Lucia several times previously, but this was my husband, Mark’s, first visit. That being the case, I figured we should go straight to the top – that is, the top of Gros Piton. I had seen the island and its classic mountains many times, but never from a bird’s eye view! I knew there were guided hikes up the mountain, but had never gotten around to doing it before. I figured that with us both being about 50, myself just a little shy and Mark at 52, now would be as good a time as any. We booked through Spencer Ambrose; he was very easy to work with getting the tour set up, and they were right on time at the pier to pick us up.

The boat ride down to the base of the Pitons was pretty wild, but fun – there’s always lots to see!

Here are some local fishermen throwing their nets out:

DSCF0013_zps03752cbd.jpg

DSCF0033_zps7325bc8a.jpg

And here is the crystal clear water just off the beach at a resort, where we dropped off a few people who were just doing a beach day:

DSCF0039_zpsd207c1d5.jpg

And our first glimpse of the Pitons! The one in the background is the one we planned to hike; it is taller than the Petit Piton in the foreground, though it looks shorter from the angle:

DSCF0146_zps83d42e6f.jpg

Here we approach the beach near the trailhead where we’ll start the hike:

DSCF0043_zpsb1167c5d.jpg

On the beach we met our local guide, ready to start the 2619 ft. climb!

DSCF0044_zps819283ba.jpg

Here we met our local guide, Mark. He led our group of eight, with one of the guys from Spencer’s tour, Terry, bringing up the rear. Mark was fascinating to talk to – we spent a good part of the climb chatting with him and hearing all about everything we were seeing on our way up. I even found out we have the same birthday – I have a feeling I’ll think of him each time my birthday comes around now! He made the climb much more fun. (Hey Mark, “zoom zoom!”)

Overall, I think the hike was easier than we were led to believe. Don’t get me wrong, it was plenty of work, but you don’t need to be an elite athlete to make it. I felt my husband and I are in reasonably good shape, and we had no problems at all. I worried about the effects of the heat, as we live in Minnesota and aren’t used to it, but we didn’t notice it much at all. It was probably in the 80’s, a good deal of the trail was shaded, and we felt nice breezes on occasion. I was expecting a grueling day, but it was actually really enjoyable! The views along the way, as well as from the summit, were spectacular – so well worth it!

Some interesting vegetation on the way:

DSCF0047_zps9bb7b262.jpg

Following right behind our guide, Mark:

DSCF0048_zps7735e527.jpg

About a quarter of the way up:

DSCF0052_zpse7f4210b.jpg

DSCF0054_zps7b4ca0ff.jpg

This is what the trail looked like for parts of the hike. These were the easy parts, with reasonable “steps,” as much of the hike had larger steps or was a lot rockier. Some of the larger rocks were tougher for those of us on the shorter side – it was a good workout!

DSCF0082_zps52dc326c.jpg

Stunning view from the halfway point!

DSCF0069_zps46c28198.jpg

We finally reached the summit! Some more spectacular views:

DSCF0089_zpse6df48c0.jpg

DSCF0092_zpsd1a23df0.jpg

DSCF0096_zps1f3623a8.jpg

My husband, Mark, and I at the top, hopefully looking none the less for wear!

DSCF0103_zps22c5a2f8.jpg

And here we are with our guide, Mark:

DSCF0105_zps2971b07e.jpg

We enjoyed the summit for a while, taking plenty of pictures and enjoying the fabulous view. The hike down was uneventful – quicker, but just as picturesque. In some ways it was more difficult – we could definitely feel it in our quads taking those larger steps down! We also knew we’d be feeling it for a few days, but it was so worth it. We had plenty of time back at the beach for a leisurely swim while we waited for the rest of the group. I do wish we had had more time to enjoy the beach and swim – the water was wonderful!

All in all, the tour by Spencer Ambrose, “Heavenward Bound – Gros Piton Climb” was a blast. We only wish we could have had a private guide so we could have gone at our own pace – it would have been nice to do the climb a little faster so we could have had more time at the beach and for lunch. We had to try to eat it in the boat going back, which wasn’t easy. Still, this was a fantastic day.

Oh, and our reward after the climb when we got back to the boat!

DSCF0134_zps88a28905.jpg

Just spectacular! How long did this take?

The actual hike was probably about 2 hours going up and maybe an hour and 15 minutes or so coming down. I wasn't really paying attention but it had to be pretty close to that. We weren't going at a really fast past as we were with a group that had to stay together somewhat. We would have preferred to go at a little quicker pace just so we could have spent a little more time swimming and relaxing on the beach (and enjoying the lunch that was provided). As it was, since we were the first ones down, we did have time to swim while we waited for the rest of the group but not as much as we would have liked. After that workout, the water felt positively heavenly!

I think the entire tour that we did through Spencer Ambrose was something like 7 hours, including the boat trip down the coast to get to the base of the Pitons and then back. The boat trip back was a little more leisurely as they pointed out some of the sights along the way.

All in all, it was a fantastic day! I will definitely do it again the next time I'm in St. Lucia.

Love your pics! We are doing this sailing in a month, including the trip Calabaza. Can't wait to see what your next excursions are as we are looking for some guidance on two of the ports.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Stopping in San Juan on a March cruise. Can you walk from where the ship

docks to the Paseo del Morro walk?

Absolutely! It would not take long at all to get there. Old San Juan is very picturesque and there is lots to see along the way. The best thing to do is to get a good map of Old San Juan. I'm sure they're in most guide books or just find one on the internet and print it out. The Paseo del Morro basically starts at "the Puerta de San Juan" (San Juan Gate). Any detailed map of the streets and attractions in Old San Juan will show where this is. If you see where the Paseo de la Princesa is (very near the pier area), this is basically a continuation.

I think the walk from the San Juan Gate to where it dead-ends out at the entrance to San Juan Bay is about a mile and a half. You then have to re-trace your steps back. When we were just there a month ago, however, they had it blocked about 2/3 of the way out as there had been some erosion that was dangerously near the walkway. I have no idea how long it will take them to fix, so not sure if/when you can go all the way out to the point. Still a worthwhile walk, even if you can't go the whole way.

If you don't get a good map before you get to San Juan, just swing in to the tourist info office and grab one there. I think there are signs from the pier .... but you just head left out of the pier area .... it is right along the way on your right (past CVS, the Ralph Lauren store and Don Q Rum).

Just wonderful pics and review. Thank you. And I have to check the roll call....I think we're on the same cruise as you next January. We're also animal lovers....2 dogs...one a rescue....and beachlovers, too!:)

Glad you're enjoying my review and pictures. It's been fun putting it together. I love looking back at our pictures and remembering how much fun we had, especially when I look outside and see a foot of fresh snow! Ugh! Can it be next January NOW???

Yes, I think you're right, we are on the same cruise next January. I'm traveling with my 21-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son. I've done several cruises with each of them, but this will be our first one with all 3 of us. My husband and other 2 kids are going to Canada fishing in June so we're getting a "better" trip! :p

Our "zoo" consists of 3 dogs (2 rescues and 1 English Cream Golden Retriever) and 2 cats (both rescues) so we have something in common for sure! As I mentioned before my son is working on fundraising for the Save a Gato organization in Old San Juan. He just fell in love with the cats the first time he was there a few years back. He can't wait to get back. We're flying down on Wednesday for the cruise so we'll have plenty of time to hang out in Old San Juan. We're all really looking forward to it!

Michelle

Fantastic pics! I espically love the ones of the Barbados turtles & the Piton reward!

I think you mentioned leaving your apartment at 11:15, what time were you able to get onboard & what time did your cruise sail?

We are sailing Summit April 20 and looks like it's the same itinerary as you guys did. We are scheduled to depart san Juan at 8:30 PM. Just trying to figure out what time we might be able to get on board...

Looking forward to the remainder of your commentery & photography

Fantastic pics! I espically love the ones of the Barbados turtles & the Piton reward!

I think you mentioned leaving your apartment at 11:15, what time were you able to get onboard & what time did your cruise sail?

We are sailing Summit April 20 and looks like it's the same itinerary as you guys did. We are scheduled to depart san Juan at 8:30 PM. Just trying to figure out what time we might be able to get on board...

Looking forward to the remainder of your commentery & photography

We caught a cab after leaving our apartment and was at the Pan Am pier within 15 minutes or so. There was virtually no line anywhere at the cruise terminal so we were checked in and getting on the ship within minutes. I guess we must have boarded by 11:45 at the latest. I honestly don't know what the very earliest you can do, but we generally will try to get there around noon. Ship sailed at 8:30.

You will love your cruise! The ship is great and the itinerary is fabulous. I've been to most of those islands 6-7 times and will continue to go back. Our cruise next January, however, we are doing the alternate itinerary on the Summit (St. Croix, St. Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas) just for a change.

Thanks for the pics of your climb of the pitons. Have always thought that would be great to do, but I can see it is beyond my abilities now. Looks wonderful.

The Piton climb was really amazing! We took it as a personal challenge to make it to the top. We really had no idea what to expect. We knew it would be a difficult climb but just not sure how hard. We were proud that our middle-aged bodies did it! It was actually really fun and the views are beyond description.

Also, being a cat person, you definitely need to walk the Paseo del Morro. Actually this last visit, we didn't see quite as many cats overall along the walk. The walkway was closed about two-thirds of the way out due to a rock slide blocking the path so not sure if all the workers/equipment was scaring them off a little. We did, however, see many of them all around Old San Juan. I'm sure we saw just as many as we always do, on the sidewalks, sleeping on parked cars, in the parks and getting into our apartment! :p

We caught a cab after leaving our apartment and was at the Pan Am pier within 15 minutes or so. There was virtually no line anywhere at the cruise terminal so we were checked in and getting on the ship within minutes. I guess we must have boarded by 11:45 at the latest. I honestly don't know what the very earliest you can do, but we generally will try to get there around noon. Ship sailed at 8:30.

You will love your cruise! The ship is great and the itinerary is fabulous. I've been to most of those islands 6-7 times and will continue to go back. Our cruise next January, however, we are doing the alternate itinerary on the Summit (St. Croix, St. Kitts, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas) just for a change.

Thank you beachlover. I had no idea you could get on that early. Will be our first time sailing out so late. Have sailed out of OSJ a couple of times but usually 5-5:30? We just might have to think about getting onboard for lunch and relax onboard.

Ironically I was looking at that same itinerary for April of 2014. There are some good rates available now. Will see how we like Summit and then decide.

Have not been to St. Croix. Would love to visit it :)

Visited St. Kitts twice and had private island tour and another time a guided snorkel with a absolutly wonderful young man if you would like his name?

Had a fav beach day in Grenada on Magazine Beach, beautiful quiet uncrowded beach in Grenada with excellent snorkeling from shore & a nice lil beach club "The Aquarium". We practically had the place to ourselves :) I highly reccomend it. Have video & pics if you're interested.

Next on our agenda was beautiful Antigua!

This is definitely one of my favorite islands in terms of white sand beaches and breathtaking Caribbean blue water. I figured after the busy day we had yesterday in St. Lucia, we’d be ready to kick back on a beach and relax.

I contacted Carl at Antigua Premier Tours and arranged for a driver to meet us at the pier to take us to the beach for the day. We also arranged for Carl to provide us with a cooler of water and local beer. We were picked up on time at the pier, dropped off at the beach with our cooler, and chose a time to be picked up and brought back to the ship later. It couldn’t have gone any smoother, and it was every bit the perfect, relaxing beach day I had wanted. The weather was gorgeous, and as you can see, so are Antigua’s beaches!

DSCF0188_zpsd58610a2.jpg

DSCF0189_zpsea66a5b1.jpg

DSCF0191_zps350b9e29.jpg

P1110019_zps0ab48e51.jpg

P1110034_zps05a3a19d.jpg

Your pics are putting me right back in Antigua. Can you share which beach this is? I have been to Valley Church and Dickenson's Bay, but this looks so empty. :) :)

This is Darkwood Beach, really close to Valley Church beach. It's always empty when we first get there at 9:30 or so but gets more crowded by mid-day. Starts clearing out again by 3:00. Depends on how many ships are in port that day.

I usually take my pictures before lots of people get there and/or take shots where I'm avoiding lots of people in my view. :p