Summit Review 1/26/13-Old San Juan pre-cruise, cruise & ports of call (with pictures)

beachlover98

Really, really enjoyed your entire review. Nice to see the cruise from the perspective of an animal lover. I have been a cat person all of my life, but I have just fallen in love with Admiral Hinckley. What a great dog.

In looking at your pics of the sailboat charter, this is definitely something we would love to do, being sailors for many years. It does look like the boat was in good shape. Happy you had such a great time. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anne

PS I am on the Eclipse ta which stops in SJU. I plan to walk the path by the sea looking for cats. :)

Just read your review and have been looking at apartments in San Juan for our Nov 23 summit cruise. I have heard Old San Juan can be kind of rough compared to the ocean walk area, but your pics show it to be like most old town areas, quaint and fun. What is the name of the Place/s you have stayed? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hello beachlover98, thanks for taking the time to post a great review and lovely photos. We will be in San Juan for 4 days pre-cruise and 3 days post--cruise, during Cristmas and New Year (Summit). You have mentioned an apartment that you stayed at, would you mind sharing its name? We would like to stay in the Old Town....Thanks

We love staying in Old San Juan! We've stayed there many times pre-cruise but only rented an apartment a couple times now. I just booked an apartment for our 3 night pre-cruise stay next January. I've used vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) to search available apartments. They give all the specifics of the unit as well as location, price, pictures, contact info. and oftentimes availability.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Just read your review and have been looking at apartments in San Juan for our Nov 23 summit cruise. I have heard Old San Juan can be kind of rough compared to the ocean walk area, but your pics show it to be like most old town areas, quaint and fun. What is the name of the Place/s you have stayed? Thanks for any advice you can give.

See my post above regarding finding an apartment in Old San Juan. I can't speak for how others may find apartments, but that is where I've found them the past 3 years.

As to the safety around Old San Juan, again I can only speak for myself, but I've never felt uncomfortable walking around, even at night. I've been there with my husband a couple times, several times with one of my children (age 9-11 at the time) and once with my teenage daughter and my mother. We just used common sense just as you would anywhere while on vacation, etc. It really is as you said "quaint and fun"!!

We love staying in Old San Juan! We've stayed there many times pre-cruise but only rented an apartment a couple times now. I just booked an apartment for our 3 night pre-cruise stay next January. I've used vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) to search available apartments. They give all the specifics of the unit as well as location, price, pictures, contact info. and oftentimes availability.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

One thing I forgot to mention in this reply was that the vast majority of listings on vrbo have a minimum night stay, usually 3+ nights. Although that works for many people, I know sometimes a pre-cruise stay is shorter so a hotel is the only option. I love Old San Juan and have been lucky enough to work out a 3 night pre-cruise stay the last 3 trips. With only a 7 night cruise, it's a little easier to add 3 days to the trip.

I wish Celebrity would bring back their 10 and 11 night sailings from San Juan, though. :(

One thing I forgot to mention in this reply was that the vast majority of listings on vrbo have a minimum night stay, usually 3+ nights. Although that works for many people, I know sometimes a pre-cruise stay is shorter so a hotel is the only option. I love Old San Juan and have been lucky enough to work out a 3 night pre-cruise stay the last 3 trips. With only a 7 night cruise, it's a little easier to add 3 days to the trip.

I wish Celebrity would bring back their 10 and 11 night sailings from San Juan, though. :(

We love OSJ and wish Celebrity would bring back the 10-night cruises. We only did one and had a blast on the Millie.

We love OSJ and wish Celebrity would bring back the 10-night cruises. We only did one and had a blast on the Millie.

I did the Millenium for a 10-night cruise also, and loved it! Actually went in both November 2009 and November 2010, almost the same itinerary but the second cruise they switched St. Vincent in for Grenada for some reason. I love cruising the southern caribbean leaving from San Juan because you're already almost there! Have no idea if it just wasn't popular enough?

Love your review - I wish others could be this positive about life!

We are on Summit on 4/20, on the same itinerary. Is there any particular night you would recommend for skipping the MDR and booking Qsine? Say, one night where the menu just wasn't as interesting, etc? Thanks!

We're on the April 27th sailing of the Summit and reading your lovely review has made us even more excited about our cruise. This will be our first time on Summit, although we've been cruising with Celebrity since the days of the Horizon and Zenith!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Love your review - I wish others could be this positive about life!

We are on Summit on 4/20, on the same itinerary. Is there any particular night you would recommend for skipping the MDR and booking Qsine? Say, one night where the menu just wasn't as interesting, etc? Thanks!

I’m sorry I won’t be able to help you on this as I honestly would never remember what was on the menu on any particular night. I also think it would be so much a matter of personal opinion as to whether any particular night was better/worse than any other. For example, I do remember there was one night that nothing on the menu appealed to me, again just my personal taste. I think I just ordered a steak from the “every night” side of the menu and it was fine. On another night, I believe it was the first formal night, I had a filet mignon that was prepared perfectly and was one of the best steaks I’ve ever had. I also don’t do seafood, so that limits my options somewhat.

You might want to search the Celebrity boards for posts containing pictures of the menus from each night in the MDR. That might help you make a decision. I don’t know how often they change the menus, though.

Glad that so many people have enjoyed my review! I hear about everyone's upcoming sailings on the Summit and then I get jealous!! :p

I know I commented in one of my earliest posts how I am perhaps not the best "critic" as I maybe am not picky enough. I look past a little dust, a somewhat aging ship and food or entertainment that isn't to my liking 100% of the time. Maybe some look for that "true critique" and use that to help them form an opinion of a cruise ship or a cruise line. I, on the other hand, look at the overall experience. I include everything to do with the cruise itself with a big part of that being the staff/service, which in my opinion was FANTASTIC!! I also look at things like the itinerary and embarkation point. As I've said, the cruise is not the destination for me so the ports of call and the pre-cruise are very important in my overall cruise experience.

In light of recent events on another cruise line, I feel even better about NOT sweating the small stuff. I've had nothing but awesome cruises so far and hope to have many more!

• 2 weeks later...
Glad that so many people have enjoyed my review! I hear about everyone's upcoming sailings on the Summit and then I get jealous!! :p

I know I commented in one of my earliest posts how I am perhaps not the best "critic" as I maybe am not picky enough. I look past a little dust, a somewhat aging ship and food or entertainment that isn't to my liking 100% of the time. Maybe some look for that "true critique" and use that to help them form an opinion of a cruise ship or a cruise line. I, on the other hand, look at the overall experience. I include everything to do with the cruise itself with a big part of that being the staff/service, which in my opinion was FANTASTIC!! I also look at things like the itinerary and embarkation point. As I've said, the cruise is not the destination for me so the ports of call and the pre-cruise are very important in my overall cruise experience.

In light of recent events on another cruise line, I feel even better about NOT sweating the small stuff. I've had nothing but awesome cruises so far and hope to have many more!

I love your attitude and I am the same way most of the time. I am just happy to be on vacation and enjoy every minute that I can. I am having a hard time waiting for November

Great fun reading your review -after I got past the cats, not a fan but I love your attitude about not sweating the small stuff and your pics made it a lot more interesting. Can't wait to try our first Celebrity.

Great fun reading your review -after I got past the cats, not a fan but I love your attitude about not sweating the small stuff and your pics made it a lot more interesting. Can't wait to try our first Celebrity.

Sure hope you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise. It's definitely become my favorite line. It's just laid back and I love the lack of constant announcements. I really love their restrictive smoking policy, too.

And you won't sweat the small stuff so you'll have an awesome time! Enjoy San Juan!!

Love the walk with all of the cats. Is it a taxi ride from the ship since the ship docks across the water from OSJ?

Celebrity ships embark and disembark from the Pan American pier which is across the bay from OSJ, definitely a taxi ride. Ships that are in port just for the day would dock right in OSJ.

We use our pre-cruise or post-cruise time to hang out in Old San Juan. We always fly down at least a couple nights before the cruise since we enjoy it so much.

I will say the Paseo del Morro was the "quietest" I've ever seen this past January. Much fewer cats than we normally see, but we did see just as many just wandering around OSJ as we usually do. They pretty much mind their own business most of the time, but some are very friendly. Be sure to check out the Save a Gato website for more info. on the cat colony and how they are taken care of!

beachlover-I had no intention of hijacking your wonderful pic & review thread. :o Your Antigua/Darkwood Beach pics are beautiful! Just booked a sailing there on the Hawnalea but know what beach we'll visit next time, thank U!

Sam & beachlover-here are links to some short Grenada vids on my youtube page:

Pics from my Snapfish page, Grenada pics in 3/20/10 album

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l=en_US/p/Organizer/s_c=0/s_se=FDR/s_pt=GFT,POS,PSP,REP,PMB,PLT,PRE/s_st=RegReqEu#state=%7B%22pl%22%3A%7B%22uc%22%3A2%2C%22aid%22%3A%223776880008%22%2C%22vp%22%3A%22g%22%2C%22sb%22%3A5%7D%2C%22ovm%22%3A%7B%22v%22%3A%22s%22%7D%7D

Enjoy,

Dawg

Now please beachlover98, more of your review!

No idea if anyone is still following this thread, but I was hoping to get more information on Magazine Beach in Grenada. I've been working on shore excursions for January 2014 on the Summit on the alternate itinerary (St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada and St. Thomas).

Magazine Beach looks wonderful! We were hoping to do some kayaking on one or more of the islands so am wondering if anyone knows if there are kayaks for rent at this beach? Or perhaps at a good beach in St. Kitts or St. Croix?

Loving your review of Summit - we sailed on her this past October, and hopefully again, in spring 2014. I do hope though that you post your review in the official review section, as that will make it easier for other cruisers to find it, it's so entertaining, inclusive, informative, no one should miss out!: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=251

Loving your review of Summit - we sailed on her this past October, and hopefully again, in spring 2014. I do hope though that you post your review in the official review section, as that will make it easier for other cruisers to find it, it's so entertaining, inclusive, informative, no one should miss out!: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=251

Glad you enjoyed my review! After many cruises, it was the first review I've done and it was a lot of fun. I always love a reason to go back and look at all my pictures again. Makes me look forward to my next cruise!

Will try to find time to post in the review section so others can see. I like posting here, too, as I like the interaction with other cruisers responding to my posts. I like the comments, suggestions and questions about the ship, ports of call, etc.

Thank you for sharing the photos and the detailed review.

I booked the summit for Dec 14 this year, and I'm planning to borrow some of your ideas for shore excursions:)

Glad you enjoyed my review! I also love sharing my pictures. I know it helps get people excited about their upcoming trips! :p

I'd be curious to know what shore excursions you're doing (or what ideas you've borrowed!). We enjoyed our time off the ship so much, as we always do. As I've said, the ship is not the destination, but the ports of call.

NOOOOO!!! If they do 10-night cruises, we won't be able to go! For a 7-nights, going 2 days in advance and another one to come back we need 10-11 days right now... Can't take longer vacations!!!!