Week in STT instead of cruise?

tef43

After making port calls in St Thomas seven times (out of eleven cruises, can you tell I love the place?), and always coming away with the feeling that there just isn't enough time to see and do everything that I wanted, I am strongly leaning toward booking a week stay on the island.

I've done some preliminary pricing, and rates at Frenchmans Reef look pretty good for the time period that I am interested in (Autumn).

I see that there are a number of "locals" who frequent this board, so my requests are directed towards them. I've done most of the "cruise ship tourist" things over the years, so what are the "must see and do" things that the cruise passengers do not get the opportunity to experience?

I'm sure that your responses will generate more questions as well.

TIA

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

We are also thinking of staying at St Thomas for a week in September would like to know the same thing, and also how is the weather that time of year.Also is it off season for travel,Thanks

Robert & Janet

Paradise 3/99 11/99 12/00

Jubilee 3/00

Inspiration 4/8/01

Grand Princess 3/24/02

Carnival Spirit 3/03 & 1/04

Carnival Glory 3/20/04

We had the same thoughts after cruising to the area... but stayed on St John for our land vacation! (Nov 2002) Then we returned in March 2003 on a cruise to marry. Anyway, you might want to check out the message boards at www.***** and read through many of those posts. There's also a search engine if you are looking for specific info. Hotels and villas are discussed for the USVI.

It is a great place to take a land vacation because of the terrific people and fantastic ferry system (so you can take little day trips to St John or the BVI). We are returning again this summer to St John for a week. Just in case you are wondering... we stayed at Concordia ecotents (www.maho.org) for the views, environmental experience, quiet, and cost. They also have studios at both Maho Bay as well as south of Coral Bay (where Concordia is located). The views were incredible, and the experience was terrific. Nothing like having the sounds of waves crashing rocking you to sleep and a beautiful sunrise to awaken you. icon_smile.gif I could go on and on... But definitely, explore the option of taking a land vacation in the area and research ***** icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

NCL Sky 12/2000 - Western Caribbean

Celebrity Galaxy 12/2001 - Southern Caribbean

S/S Norway 03/2003 wedding cruise - Eastern Caribbean

~~~~ Married on the beach in St John! ~~~~

HAL ms Maasdam 11/23/2003 - Western Caribbean

We just returned on 4/2 after spending a week on St. Thomas. We've been there a couple of times on cruises, and decided to try a land vacation. It was a fabulous, relaxing vacation, and we might have to go back next year!

We stayed on Sapphire Beach at the Crystal Cove Deluxe Suites (see www.bestbeach.com). We were less than 100 feet from the beach. We decided to stay in a condo rather than a hotel, and it was a great decision. We only ate dinner out a couple of times - the rest of the time we grilled out since we never get to here in Boston.

We really didn't do too much - went sailing one day, and went shopping in Charlotte Amalie. The weather was perfect, as was the location. I highly recommend it!

Andrea

Hawai'i

Lovely Land Vacation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-1100

We stayed at Frenchman's Reef for 5 days last July. Nice thing about them is that you can get a package that includes a full breakfast buffet.

It's in a great location and it is easy to get to downtown Charlotte Amalie from there via car taxi or water taxi.

The beach to me was just OK. It was not like a typical Caribbean beach. The water reminded me too much of a NJ beach at high tide with little waves. There's a nice bar there called Coco Joes. It's a bit expensive, but then what isn't in the middle of a touristy place.

I had been to St. Thomas on two cruises with my sister. Last July I dragged my husband with me and "forced" him to spend 5 days there...LOL. He wants to go back again. icon_wink.gif

Linda grin.gif

NCL Sky - 1/03

NCL Sun - 1/02

icon_smile.gifWe also did a land trip this year (the cruise was last year). We stayed at a condo at Watergate Villas next to Bolongo Bay. The south side beaches are not as nice as the other side of the island. Yellow brown sand and rocks, but of course it is not far to beautiful beaches. Our 2-bedroom condo (for family of 5) was absolutely beautiful and the price was right. We had a pool just off the patio. The location was excellent for going into Charlotte Amalie or heading just east to Red Hook for St. John. More info if interested.

My wife and I spent a week at Bolongo Bay resort, and highly recommend the property. Best rates I could find, and it turned out to be a great place. We loved the beach there, and the restaurants were in our price range. We also booked a daysail with www.interlinesail.com

and sailed over to St John for the day. Snorkling was great (we saw sea turtles in the water), and the sail was first class, but again, in our price range. Just wished we could have stayed longer, but we will go back!

To me the best thing about a land vacation on STT and STJ is that you can really kick back and enjoy yourself without rushing back to the ship. We actually felt sorry for the folks who had to jump on the taxis to head back - the Virgin Islands are a wonderful place to vacation - you can do a lot or nothing at all.

icon_smile.gifSmiles are Free, are you a family or a couple? What airport do you usually use? USAirways has some very low fares to St. Thomas sometimes. I took a family of 5 for Springbreak which can be very expensive. If you go in October--you should be able to do well. Prices drop on accomodations also ($115/night--1 bedroom condo) & ($175/night--2 bedroom-2 bath condo). This is an example for October. We paid more but were very happy. It is a great place to go!!

The greatest thing to me about vacationing in the USVI is that you really get a chance to immerse yourself in the culture and learn what the islands are truly about! icon_smile.gif Just be respectful of local customs and laws, and share a smile with everyone you pass. icon_smile.gif

~ Mandy

beachgirl55,

We are a couple who have visited St. Thomas a number of times as a cruise port of call only. We have already investigated air and hotel rates, and have decided to book the trip. That is not the issue. Like the OP is asking, we'd be interested in things that the cruise passengers typically do not have time for.

• 2 months later...

luv2curl - you mentioned you stayed at Bolongo Bay Beach Resort. We are booked there in a 2 bed/2 bath condo for Nov. How were the beaches there? An earlier post said beaches on that side of the island were not that good? Was there any snorkeling at the beach?

Was there evening entertainment?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I like the resort very much, and would stay there again. Did not know they had 2 BR/2Ba units though- that's great for families or those traveling together. We had a 1BR unit, but it did have a fridge and small kitchen unit, which was enough for us. We had our coffee and danish in the morning in the room, and had sandwich material in the fridge as well as snacks. The pool there is good- has a swim up bar and good happy hour/drinks- lots of fun. The beach area was fine with us, although we did go to Megan's for a day, and Coki Beach another day. We did snorkel right off the beach there, and saw lots of fish. Went on a daysail to snorkel and that was a full day and fun. The resort had an "island night", buffet style dinner with the Mocko Jumbies and island entertainment, which we also liked. We walked down the beach to a few other restaurants (can only remember Mims), and those were also good. One of the beach bars had really cold beer and a volleyball court that was very active and fun to watch. The resort is sort of mid-island; easy to go to town or other way to Red Hook for evenings out. The resort is not the same level as Marriott Frenchman's Reef, but we spent little time in the room anyone, so it was right for us. Hope this helps.

The 2b/2b condos at Bolongo Bay are privately owned. They can be rented directly from the owners, but the resort also rents them out. They are located next to the hotel property. They have full kitchens, living room and balconies. You also get full use of the resort facilities so it's a great option!

I stayed at these condos at Bolongo Bay last october for one week. The previous four days we stayed at the Renaissance resort in similar condos. In comparisson to the Renaissance Bolongo Bay condos were rundown and really needed an update. If you have the choice between these two please choose the Renaissance resort. I believe you can find these condos through the amazing villas link on the internet. Just a few dollars more but definately worth it in comparison to Bolongo Bay

Cheers,

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

Aggie95 -

We married on Hawksnest Beach on Trunk Bay. Pics: http://www.cmgoddard.com/pages/3/index.htm

We chose Hawksnest over Trunk due to fewer crowds, which turned out to be a great choice because there were five cruise ships in port the day we married... and it was Spring Break so they were all packed! We also loved the seagrape trees that lined the beach there. That link in your quote goes to my review on the old CC message boards, but I posted a shorter version on the new CC boards to have as future reference in the Wedding/Honeymoon section (has details of each vendor we used for the wedding and catamaran for the reception). I also changed my screenname when CC converted to the new message boards so I could quit using my maiden name - hence the new screenname "MandyGirl" - a nickname a friend gave me that has stuck for years.

We're planning to visit the beaches of Caneel this November while there on a cruise... after we share another wedding cake on our wedding beach! What beach(es) do you suggest we visit there to just sit and watch the water in peace and quiet?

What can you do in St. Thomas??? Well, it's not an amusement park or anything. The main thing I have done there is enjoy it. It is beautiful. I like to go for 2 weeks because whenever I have gone it has been a vacation from my job in the DC area. It takes a week to get into the slow pace there. For the first week you make your dinner reservations and worry about getting there on time, they don't care!!! You order your food and wonder if it will ever come. The second week you don't care either!!!! It will come eventually and that is just fine. You find the nice beaches, Sapphire, Limetree (is it still there???), the good places to eat, especially around Red Hook, you go to St. John and go to Cinnamon Bay, so quiet and peaceful. You look at the weekly newsletter and check when the least ships will be in port and plan your shopping around that. You go to Tillet's Garden and shop for art work, and have a great lunch, too bad Tillet has passed away. You drink loads of bushwackers, the best drink created, especially at Sapphire, they make the best. I guess I could go on and on, but if you are looking for a vacation where every minute is planned with activies and non stop action, maybe this is not for you. If you want to unwind and enjoy the beauty of the virgin islands then maybe it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Mandy,

Hawknest Beach is beautiful! We spent some time there, as well. All of the beaches at Caneel Bay are beautiful - I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. We liked Turtle Bay best - it is smaller, but a little more remote and very peaceful.

Many of things visitors due whether on a ship or on land are similar... beach days, Mountain top, island tour, Coral World, charters.... how a land visitor visit differs is that you aren't rushed... if you want to go to the beach at 5pm to watch the sunset or walk along the shore you can... if you want to take the ferry over to St. John for dinner you can... if you want to go over to the BVIs and spend the day, thats an option. You just have more time to do things and slow down to enjoy them. You might order a Guidebook to the island, try http://www.vitraders.com and look under Vacation Planning or Planning Guides in the navigation.

The weather in Sept. Well just like every other month of the year its usually hot, Aug-Oct. are the hotest months...averging in the high 80s with less breeze as compared with other months. Its also part of hurricane season and is the month historically speaking that we have experienced hurricanes in. That said, hurricanes are not yearly, or bi-yearly ect. Last major one were in 1995 and 1989. So chances are the weather will be hot and wonderful with possiable chance of showers related to passing tropical storms in the area. You can read more on this at http://www.*****/usvi/weather.php

September is off season; one of the slowest months of our off season. It picks up again in late November.

--Islander

• 2 months later...

Hi,

My husband and me just got back from doing a cruise through RCCL and we visited Sapphire Beach after the Godfrey Tour. Godfrey dropped us off there for a few hours anad I must say my husband and me didn't want to leave.

I would love to go back there and stay a week. I have found out that in our interval timeshare book this resort is in their, so we can take a week there, although interval is telling me that it's kinda hard to reserve that resort because high demand.

Could any of you tell me what is the lowest seasons consider in St,. Thomas and how far is the airport and town from Sapphire beach? Would love to rent a car when we get there but I must confess I don't like the thought of driving on the opposite side and I've seen how people drive there, they drive as crazy as my husband so guess I'd just get a taxi to go back and forth to and from airport and places to see. Also what about the weather in the winter months, is it too cold to swim?

Thanks and have a great day!!! CJ :) :)

Archived