Its the little things that drive you nuts!

Blamar

There were no singing waiters on our April Sun Princess cruise altho there was a red,white & blue themed night, which we heard no one objecting to. There was also an Italian night and as far as I could see no one got upset over that either .. heck it is a vacation, people need to lighten up. I think someone has cruise lines confused if they think Princess waiters sing.

There were no singing waiters on our April Sun Princess cruise altho there was a red,white & blue themed night, which we heard no one objecting to. There was also an Italian night and as far as I could see no one got upset over that either .. heck it is a vacation, people need to lighten up. I think someone has cruise lines confused if they think Princess waiters sing.

It was we the passengers singing the National Anthems early PC dining...everybody was happy.....enjoying our vacation. :D

I would not mind at all if we were in Canada and the waiters sang "O Canada"...what's the big deal? Well, Canadians don't like us anyway, and God Bless America just rubs them the wrong way.

That's what I thought was funny, because we were in British Columbia. There was no singing and I didn't mind, I just thought the timing was funny. And we don't dislike you, we just do things differently :).

And what do you guys have to say about Spanish opera singers who sing Italian operas?? You are so off the mark here, and you're looking for something that exists only in your heads. Again, elitist hogwash!

I don't know if it's fair to look at operas or any other musical compositions this way. To a musician, these pieces are artistic, not patriotic.

I would too. In fact, at all of the hockey & la crosse games that we attend when playing a Canadian team, I also sing along to O' Canada. Not very well, I might add, but I do try! ;)

Wohoo hockey and lacrosse (but especially hockey)! Sorry, not a baseball fan here.

And Kruisey you have such a positive attitude (it's great)!

We often have our own Irish night wherein we drink a lot of Harp and Jamesons and then sing Raglan Road til we cry. It is usually the last night of the cruise. Really you can each have the "Country of your Choice" night if you just put your minds to it!!! :D

C'mon, is the OP for real? Has he/she ever been to an Italian restaurant were the staff sings Italian songs all night? GUESS WHAT? Most of the staff are not Italian! Should they feel like puppets on a string made to perform like monkeys while wearing red/white/green, to sing the praises of a people they do not belong to? NO! it's their job. If they have chosen to work there, it's required, so what?

Build a bridge OP

and get over it!

C'mon, is the OP for real? Has he/she ever been to an Italian restaurant were the staff sings Italian songs all night? GUESS WHAT? Most of the staff are not Italian! Should they feel like puppets on a string made to perform like monkeys while wearing red/white/green, to sing the praises of a people they do not belong to? NO! it's their job. If they have chosen to work there, it's required, so what?

Build a bridge OP

and get over it!

Being married to a Canadian, now a U.S. citizen, I took her post as some good natured ribbing. My husband and I do this all the time. We would not have nearly as much fun, if we were "to get over it".

That's what I thought was funny, because we were in British Columbia. There was no singing and I didn't mind, I just thought the timing was funny. And we don't dislike you, we just do things differently :).

QUOTE]

I used to love Canada. When we lived in NJ we visited the Atlantic Provinces frequently and my father-in-law was Canadian. And then the Canadian liberal press took over. Well, that's what we see and hear in the states. All about how awful we Americans are. I never ever thought I would not want go back to Canada, but with the media coverage we get, I would actually be uncomfortable. Please, please tell me I'm wrong. These are the reasons the OP's post annoyed the heck out of me.That, and the fact that the poster showed elitist tendencies, for sure.

As the OP I just found this all a little strange and kind of bugged me of the over nationalism, pro-USA, that I found on Princess, Holland America and Carnival trips that I have taken in the past. True, there are nights where French and Italian nights are covered, but at those times they celebrate the food and not the nation. I was 'bugged' most by the idea of the wait staff giving a rousing song of "God Bless America" which I witnessed on all but last month's Island Princess sailings. They don't sing it in "Anytime Dining" which our waitress from Romania was quite glad about.

One poster called me 'Elitist' and with some justification. That is because aren't cruises on their own terms 'elitist'. They definately are not for everyone. And definately not everyone can afford the extravagance of a cruise holiday. So we very much divide ourselves into classes and social strata. I know that I can't afford a mini-suite, but many of my friends cannot afford a holiday beyond going to a local campsite. In real terms, we are the wealthy of the world exercising that wealth and the comforts it brings us.

One other poster said it was just part of the job and the wait staff was there to earn much needed money to send home. This too is true, and of course it would put the cruise staff and the customer on equal parity if it were not that the staff have to work a 16-18 hour day for less than fair wages, low benefits and fewer job rights that we all take for granted. Would you be willing to leave your home and family, go at work at sea with little opportunity to contact them if you didn't have to do some thing drastic to support yourself and your family? And if you did make that decision, would your choice to "play along" be one that was made on the grounds that I do this because of my job or I do this so I may keep my job?

Finally, this posting spread into a matter of nationalism. I didn't intend it to go there but I am very naive. I like Americans, I like the American culture. When I go to a ballgame and both Anthems are played, I do sing the American Anthem as well as I sing the Canadian Anthem out of simple respect. The nationalist theme of the cruise's last formal meal isn't the opportunity for respect. Although when we were on the Inspriation I did witness our waiter's assistant somewhat mocking the situation so it can be a matter of disrespect. And I know that nothing said on these pages will ever change what Carnival Cruise Lines as a company will do. They appear to believe that this is the kind of thing that everyone wants.

In the meantime, I will continue hiding the blue balloon so that we have red and white as a tribute to my country, wearing my Canadian/USA flag label pin to show brotherhood between nations, and giving that extra tip to the wait staff to appreciate they sometimes have to do things they may not otherwise choose to do. Then I will move on to the other things that bug me on a cruise like Chair Hogs or children splashing about in the Lotus Pool.

In the meantime, I will continue hiding the blue balloon so that we have red and white as a tribute to my country, wearing my Canadian/USA flag label pin to show brotherhood between nations, and giving that extra tip to the wait staff to appreciate they sometimes have to do things they may not otherwise choose to do. Then I will move on to the other things that bug me on a cruise like Chair Hogs or children splashing about in the Lotus Pool.

Okay, Blamar -- You make more sense now, and I apologize for calling you an elitist. Your idea of elitism is different than mine, so we come from different places on this one. And go ahead and hide the blue balloon. Nationalism and pride of country is a good thing. And I wouldn't feel too sorry for waiters if they have to sing something they don't particularly like....that happens in all walks of life and in all jobs and careers, but singing is no big deal. And I guess I still love Canada. It's just their liberal media that is repulsive to me.

I work out that the cabin crews work 12 hour shifts 6.30AM to 14.30PM.17.30 PM to 21.00PM on normal days...embarkation more....so you were a little over stating 16/18 hours. Also the working conditions,if they can get work,in their own countries can be worse then working on a cruise ship.The waiters get time off to go on shore...I know that the ones that served me had wonderful time off on their on shore excursions. Also they get tips,and like myself give them extra tips. The crew sign on for a length of time ,save their money then can be at home for several months...then sign up again or not its up to them.

Alot of us worked very hard all our lives including myself.I came to Canada in 1968 with nothing but $75 in my pocket....I worked very hard for many years.

There are alot of jobs in Vancouver at the moment paying $10 and less an hour....housing is very expensive ....many young persons are having to hold down 2 jobs to feed their families.University students work in the fast food industry to help pay their high fees and student loans....studying at the same time.

So don't feel that the crew are hard done by they can make a decent wage with their tips....better than their counterparts on land...They also visit countries that they never could afford on their own..........and plenty of food in their tummies

I used to love Canada. When we lived in NJ we visited the Atlantic Provinces frequently and my father-in-law was Canadian. And then the Canadian liberal press took over. Well, that's what we see and hear in the states. All about how awful we Americans are. I never ever thought I would not want go back to Canada, but with the media coverage we get, I would actually be uncomfortable. Please, please tell me I'm wrong. These are the reasons the OP's post annoyed the heck out of me.That, and the fact that the poster showed elitist tendencies, for sure.

Well personally I've never noticed any real anti-American attitudes in the Canadian media, but it definitely isn't as pro-American as yours. A lot of young people here actually aren't too happy with American news/media, but I guess it's all just a matter of perspective.

I think what annoys Canadians sometimes is that occasionally we feel blamed. I remember when we had that huge blackout in the northeast US/south Ontario, one of the first things I heard on the radio was the American officials believed power transmission problems in Canada were the cause. In all fairness, I'm sure we did some "blaming" too and maybe the media reports were biased. But I still thought it was a bit quick to be pointing fingers. Another issue where many Canadians and Americans have different opinions on is the war in Iraq. I wouldn't really call one right or wrong, they're just different because our perspectives are different.

Overall, however, Canadians aren't as anti-American as you might think, so don't worry. Again, we just do things differently so sometimes those differences make the citizens of our two countries seem like we don't get along as well as we really do. Opinions anywhere (look at these forums) will always clash, but that doesn't necessarily (and shouldn't) mean they get in the way of people respecting each other or getting along.

There are alot of jobs in Vancouver at the moment paying $10 and less an hour....housing is very expensive ....many young persons are having to hold down 2 jobs to feed their families.University students work in the fast food industry to help pay their high fees and student loans....studying at the same time

How very true. Although I'm not working in fast food (for the government actually), my job that starts tomorrow pays far less than $10/hour (Canadian). Fortunately, my parents back me so I don't have to take out student loans! I'm lucky because that's just a 7 week job for me, but for many, that's reality. One thing that going on a cruise reminds me of is how fortunate we all are!

Archived