Possible To See El Morro As We Enter San Juan Area?

cruisecrasy

Really appreciate the replies and esp the pictures...We are booked Starboard side and wld have enjoyed viewing it from our balcony - but I guess we will have to go topside to view it right? One more question plse..how far from the RCCLs ship docking is the straw market - is it worth a visit and do they sell anything there besides 'straw' goods? Happy cruisin' all!

I keep hearing references to the Straw Market, but I'm not sure that it exists.

There some vendors selling a variety of items, including straw, in the area near the Tourist Information Center and on along the walk at the foot of the wall, but I'm not sure that there is a distinct Straw Market. If there is one, I hope someone will correct me.

In any event, the area I'm talking about is a 10 minute stroll (or so) from Pier 4, where we saw the Explorer of the Seas docked. If you happen to be at Pier 1, then you're there!

gary

There is no "straw market" in Old San Juan. There may be shops that sell such items among the streets and close to the ships. However, such hats are not used by puertoricans and the only connection is that the so called "pava" or straw hat was used in the cane fields early last century. Old San Juan has duty free jewelry, and the usual turist trap wares. If you want a different type of gift, try Puertorican Art and Crafts in Fortaleza Street. 15 min. walk from the pier.

Wonderful info - many thanks to all..One 'tiny' question more - is it still light out at 8 pm in early December there or dark enough to see lights instead? Forgot I wld be on the side viewing El Morro when we depart the port. Lite or dark it has to be spectacular.. Happy cruisin' all!

In San Juan sunset is about 6 pm in the winter and about 7:30 pm in the summer.... They stay on Atlantic Standard Time (AST) all year. The closer you get to the equater, the less change there is in the length of daylight between seasons.

My wife and I are going to the Galapagos Islands in November. They're right on the equator. Essentially 12 hours of daylight every day of the year...

El Morro looks great day or night... here's a thought for you... as you walk up the long walkway to El Morro, try to visualize the small golf course on the grass there when it was a military base 40 or 50 yrs ago.

Dave

:) :) :)

Archived