Home from Alaska-Infinity 5/28-6/9

catmand

Hi Karen and Paul. For dessert we had 'Michael Roux's Favorite Bite Size Surprise Desserts' a selection of six Mr. Roux's mouth watering desserts. Yum.

Gingee, are you related to Gingee8_2_65v.gif in Shrek? :D Any way we went out of San Francisco and returned to the same.

Kathy - the slot machines do have handles, AND you can still do it the old fashion way by putting in coins - I went to Las Vegas last year and was shocked to find that I had to buy some type of card for the slots!

Hubbard Glacier - I remember split pea soup served in a bread bowl but not hot chocolate... or was that at some other location? They did have hot chocolate at the returns of each port, which my 8 year old took advantage of everytime.

Tracy - think your teens will have a fine time. They do have a teen program, although I didn't pay attention to what it entails since mine is 8, and I had enough problems keep track of the ship's schedule and hers. Make sure you tell your stateroom attendent to leave with a copy of the schedule the night before. We didn't know that in the beginning. I didn't see any advertised specials for the SS restaurant, although it looked really nice when I wandered in there to look around. There's only one specialty restaurant (as in one that you have to pay extra for).

Tendering was fine. My in-laws are in their late 70's, not in good shape, but they managed. We did have about a 45 minute wait though, but I think it was just bad timing... it was much quicker earlier.

Midnight buffet - we had late seating, so we could barely move by the time it was 11:30. On nights where there were no buffets, they had "Gourmet Bites" at certain rooms, but I never went because I was too full. I did go to the Grand Buffet and got a plate of food but ate it in my stateroom because I was so tired. I was there for Disco Night (or something) when they had the Last Frontier, but I was so full, I didn't want to get close to the food, so I have no idea what was served.

I totally missed the Zeke's. That would have been interesting! Honestly, I didn't pay attention to people's attire, so I didn't see the jeans, etc. During formal night, my SIL wore a short length pink dress that was not formal looking, but I don't think anyone else cared. Speaking of dress code, for the record, I guess informal does really require a jacket (although I don't think most wore one) BECAUSE when it was time for high tea one day, the schedule said "informal attire required" or something like that. My DH dressed in what we decided was "informal" which was a dress shirt with slacks, no tie. When he got to the 4th floor entrance, he was greeted with a waiter who said something like, "Are you here for tea? The dress code for gentlemen is jacket, and the entrance is on the 5th floor." OK... so since DH doesn't have a sports jacket, he went back to the room and changed into his "formal" suit... of course, we were running a little late now, so basically, he wore the suit for about 45 minutes. We were fine with it... and I'm getting him a sports jacket for his birthday! :-)

Regarding the SS United States, the cover charge is $30... is that the actual dinner charge? Or do we pay separately based on what we ordered? Depending on the answer, I'd love to check it out next time. Yes, of course I would go back.

Regarding the teen program....my 2 teens (14 & 17) were not impressed. They went to one or two planned activites, met a few other teens and they all ended up just meeting after dinner in the evenings to hang out, talk or play dodge ball.

Zeke's in a hot tub? Wow, that's an image I could have done without! Did you catch the elder Zeke in the passenger talent show?

Oh man, I am so sorry I missed the talent show........what did Granpa Zeke do?

Just for the record I can see how 14 and 17 wouldn't want to be in a "supervised kids" program. The kids we saw on board were very well mannered, how nice. AND also for the record, pea soup? I think it may have been elsewhere. The SS United States is 30 bucks a person, period. The extra charge if any, would be for wine or soft drinks.

I also remember someone asking about "free" drinks. Juices in the am and lemonade, punch and ice tea all other times. Pretty good punch I might add.

Grandpa Zeke played his guitar and sang a country song and all the other Zekes yee-hawed at the appropriate times from the audience. I saw one of them bring a burger and fries into the theater to eat during the talent show.

The punch was very good...tasted like a cranberry punch to me. And the ice cream was excellent.

Thanks for the update on Grandpa, I was laughing thinking maybe the musical saw? For anyone who might wander over to this thread I do hope you understand all of this Zeke stuff is in fun. Yes, they DID not adhere to many of the "rules of cruising etiquite" and I have a different feel of where X is headed with the "formal" asspect of cruising but that is for a later day and other time.

Like cruiseyguy wrote: they did make an impression, and opened a lot of eyes I bet.

Since I try to add something to this thread when I think of it, the "Big Blue Bus" in Jeneau. I urge everyone to take the time to visit Mendenhall Glacier when in Juneau. As soon as you get off the ship you will see a number of "huts"? set up for tours, can't miss them. The first on on the left facing the ship is for the blue bus. It is 5 bucks per person each way, a nice 25-30 minute ride out to the glacier. If you do go into the visitors center for the displays it is a 3 buck donation, also suggest you do, lots of intersting facts.

GO EARLY.........................viewing the glaciers from the ship is awesome. There is something very special about sitting alone in the silence and watching Mendenhall that is beyond words.

Thanks for the info. I'm going on the Infinity to Alaska on 6/26.

Celebrity booked me on a noon flight home.

With the disembarkation problems should I be concerned about making my flight?

I am also on an early flight home, booked by Celebrity. It is supposed to leave at 11:35 am. If I miss this flight we don't get home until the next day, as the connection into Houston is the last flight into South Florida. Your thoughts please.

After a FANTASTIC cruise as Chuck , Chris and other have discribed getting off of the ship was like something between a horror movie and the three stooges.

I personaly relieve X of blame in this mess and assigne blame in this order.

1. Imigration was late and changed location too late to inform passengers.
  2. Stupid passengers that did not check out with imigration in a timely manner.

3. Because of the delay in people leaving the ship the normal picking up or luggage my color was disrupted. This made porter access at a premiem and they only let the porters work the luggage area just as if the people were getting off normal. So those of us to the rear had to wait untill the people in the front of the terminal were serviced first.
  4. The city of San Francisco for not having better traffic control outside the terminal so people could get the proper transportation. The few police that were there were a joke because they were overwhelmed by the shear numbers. In my letter of complaint to the city I intend to file a complaint that they have no ADA access on top of everything else.

Well that is my opinion of the breakdown of blame and having said that I can add that having done the cruise last year I expected problems.

I did not expect problems of this order but IMHO this is the worst set-up for dealing with large numbers of people I have ever seen.

Getting on the ship once inside was much better this year than last but that is a credit to X for improving their processing. Outside the terminal was still a mess that the city must address soon if they wish to expand the cruise presense there.

I am also on an early flight home, booked by Celebrity. It is supposed to leave at 11:35 am. If I miss this flight we don't get home until the next day, as the connection into Houston is the last flight into South Florida. Your thoughts please.

I would check with X and get a commitment as to what will happen if you miss your flight. Since you booked through them they have to have some plan if you fail to make your flight.

I personaly avoid flying to cruises and if I have to I never fly in or out on port days. I have found that Murphy was an optimist and things not only can go wrong but always will.

Run it through your mind, lets say you get off the ship at 8:00 with no stupid passanger delays you still have to get your luggage and get it to the buss. The buss will not leave until all assigned to it are on board or it is full. This is another unknown delay. Getting out of the traffice jam on the embarcadaro and driving to the airport could be as much as an hour. Then you are faced with boarding passes and security at the airport.

My best advice would be don't stop at Starbucks for coffee.

1. I have found SFO port to be confusing both w/embarkation & debarkation - therefore, always allow plenty of time for delays in both directions, which for me have always occured....one time we all stood in the hot sun w/no place to sit and watched the ship pull on.....only to have to stand there longer to watch it back up and go to the other "correct" pier! grrrrrrrrrr.

2. Last cruise on Celebrity left alot to be desired! The dining room was a 7-nt nightmare >poor food quality; poor waiter(s)< We always book Conceirge Class which is nice for all the amenities, but the dining room is where one goes to enjoy the true elegance of cruising, yes?

.....sounds as if the Zeke's had a blast!:D

HEY IT's ME CATMAND: forgot to sign Wanda out.

Just thought of something else to add here. No big deal but coffee drinkers, take a large mug with a spill proff top or be prepared to buy one at the gift shop, around 5 bucks. I found the coffee to be pretty good but I had forgot how darn tiny those coffee cups? of theirs are. I would guess they hold somewhere near 4 tablespoons and when walking with them 28% of the coffee ends up on the floor, leaving you with about 2 good swallows.

Ok, this was our third time debarking (I don't know if that is a word but I like it.......sort of like de barking dog was keeping me awake) at pier 35 in San Francisco and we found both other times to be fast, efficent and painless. Yes the pier leaves something to be desired BUT if the people leave the ship in an orderly, timely manner no problem. This was also the thirs time we have been subject to some people who did not pat their bill or check through immigration holding up the mix, this was the worst. When we last sailed Princess we noticed many people who had all of their daily patters still sitting in the in-box thingy outside their door, reason for that was, THE DIDN'T SPEAK ENGLISH. We sail out of San Francisco, largest Asian population in the states, the cruiselines need to know who needs special instructions and follow up on those,

I think Jerry has a great sugggestion, call the cruiseline and ask them what they will do when/if you miss your flight. I HATE to suggest anyone spens anymore time in the airport as is necessary but after talking with them, know that NORMALLY you shouldn't have a time problem DMDNH, I didn't see when your flight was, but since we have done good 2 out of threee I would leave an 11:30 as is.

Bubbie: so sorry you were not happy with the cruise, what was it that made an entire week bad? I can't understand having a bad waitstaff the entire trip but I wasn't there. We can honestly say we have not had a bad meal yet and even if someone at the table did "stink-eye" at their plate the waiter would rush over, ask if something was wrong and plead that you let them "fix-it".

Just rereading the other posts so I don't double up here:

Don't forget the water is very, very soft. They provide hair shampoo and I am not picky but you ladies(?) the soft water really leaves your hair soft as well so if you need extra body you may want to take some moose (or if in Alaska see some moose).

You should not plug your curling iron in the batroom plug, it powers only electric razors so you will be going back and forth from hair dryer to curling iron. Some folks take an extension cord or surge protector. I figure there are only two plugs in the cabin for a reason and do not (just me) we don't take a bazillion things that need power and those that do we alternate. Speaking of power:

BE SURE TO TAKE A CHARGED SET OF BATTERY'S WITH THE CAMERA AT ALL TIMES. WE USE A QUICK CHARGER AND HAVE 4 SETS FOR TWO CAMERA'S.

PITTY THE POOR MAN WHO HAD HIS WIFE SAY ; "YOU MEAN THE BATTERY IS DEAD NOW AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE OTHERS!" when arriving at Mendenhall Glacier.

We also did the Jet Boat Back Country Adventure when in Ketchikan. To get out to the boating site (Salmon Falls Lodge) it is a 30 or so minute ride on a bus with bad springs and no toilet, watch the coffee comsumption that morning. It is a beautiful ride along the coves,, bays, and islands outside the city. Our guide was very knowledgeable when talking about the area, as well he should be, his parents own the lodge. It was pretty expensive, almost 200 bucks so be sure you know you probably will NOT see any wildlife, just a lot of unspoiled country. There was a young guy and his girlfrien (about 19-20) on the boat with us, the parents in the other. He told Wanda he was bored and she said "I should just slap you!".......look at all the nature and beauty, they had a good laugh over that (I think he may have been sorry he asked her for that piece of gum)

more later?

HEY IT's ME CATMAND:

Bubbie: so sorry you were not happy with the cruise, what was it that made an entire week bad? I can't understand having a bad waitstaff the entire trip but I wasn't there. We can honestly say we have not had a bad meal yet and even if someone at the table did "stink-eye" at their plate the waiter would rush over, ask if something was wrong and plead that you let them "fix-it".

Constellation, 12/04: waiter(s) never got the orders right (I say waiters because apparantly someone was out sick, so various waiters waited on us) - they never got to know us; we left 3 different evenings prior to dessert (OMG!) because the service was that slow! Even our sommelier felt sorry for us (hmmmm, her service was excellent:rolleyes: ). DH had to move to another chair as the staff kept bumping into him - I traded chairs w/him since I could get closer to the table (hee.hee.) but alas, I got bumped AllTheTime, too! (we were right next to the service area). This was the 1st cruise for the Cirque experience (you've probably already heard about that!). The elevators were in somewhat of a state needing attention; y'know, stuff like that. We do love the Conceriege Class, especially when it's a "reunion cruise", which that cruise was. We had a blast celebrating Hanuakkah (even real candles!) - the cruise week wasn't bad; there were just certain aspects that were a disappointment - perhaps our expectations are too high for Celebrity? I'm not expecting too much out of the SOS 9/12, but I know we'll feel that 119 sq ft. - we're hoping our friends will get the cabin across from us so we can use their "window":D

Nick, once you are booked into the ship I do believe you can get off and do some shopping, just be sure to get back on! I know we did it in SF.

Bubbie, I can see that switching the waitstaff can be a little bothersome if you are expecting that "total" service. I gotta tell you based on our Mercury and Infinity cruises' I feel Celebrity has and does that little "extra" in terms of service. I think you just got a lemon, it happens.

The Alaska Pictures are now up on my web shot page, click the link in the signature.

Can you tell what the "extras" were that you got on the reunion cruise in CC class? We are sailing on Infinity 6/19 on a reunion cruise and would love to know "what to expect".

Sorry your cruise wasn't the best - we've had lousy tables before but good tablemates.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anyone know if at the vancouver port, if we could board the boat, and get a snack, from the buffet. Than get off again to walk around downtown, then get back on??

Although we didn't do it there (we did at several Alaskan ports), it looks like there shouldn't be a problem.

Now I know who the Zeke family is. Grandpa Zeke was playing the guitar in the stairs in front of the Celebrity Theatre (this was after we left the theatre and thought, "What! We're supposed to wait in line to get in there again!). His singing helped lighten the mood a little.

Ya know, immigration must have given up after the snafu. When we circled through the theatre, we offered to immigration our custom form and were told to turn it in later. We still have the form!

I've started to post some of the pictures taken during our trip. This gallery contains interior and exterior shots of the Infinity taken during the 5/28 - 6/9 cruise to Alaska.

Infinity Pictures

Chris

Thanks Chris for posting the pictures. They are beautifuly. Can't wait for the next set of photo's.

Marilyn

catmand - your pix are fantastic!! you must be quite the shutterbug (in addition to all of your other talents):) yea, the Constellation dining room was only a comment -- we don't let those type of things deter us as it does happen. After the Constellation 12/04, we did the NCL Star 2/05 -- it was way more informal with the freestyle and we really did enjoy it (so much so that we re-booked for 2/06!) I just read that Carnival has come out with new bedding - promotional material sounds as if it is a copycat of the Westin's Heavenly Bed/Sheraton's Sweet Sleeper.....might be worth a try? Tho, for us, RCCL has the best loyalty program, we enjoy each cruiseline - being with friends is the BestPart, as well as making new friends:)

skicruiser: on the reunion cruise (we were booked ConciergeClass), we got a gift each evening - leather tote bags; cloth tote bags; umbrellas; candy; comp bottled water in the cabin - I can't remember anything else, but seems like there was something???? ...I'm happy for you to have only had Good tablemates, but here's a comment regarding lousy tablemates: - DH had to 'grease a palm' on one cruise after being told there was nothing that could be done -- $$$ is magic, and that's just wrong!, but we were desperate. I could write a book about lousy tablemates; however, those memories dim with the tablemates we had on the Galaxy in Alaska many years ago -- they are now some of our dearest friends with whom we've enjoyed traveling the world together ... It's a small world, afterall;)

THanks for the reply - we're in an aft facing concierge cabin and looking forward to it - tablemates can make or break the dining experience - we've only had to move one time and that was out last Celebrity cruise - we had a table with a family with teenagers - not that I mind that but we left our kids at home and didn't want to be "entertained" by some one elses. Ended up at a great table. We too have made long term friends with tablemates and have cruised with them again.

Kathy

Archived