Booking cruise was the easy part...

astro2001

...coming from Houston, and flights into Anchorage and out of Vancouver are a pain.

We are sailing the Diamond Princess on June 1 and wondering what is the most efficient and economical option. The Princess $100 per person discount (if I use their site) is still a bit more expensive than going through internet. I've also looked at flying round trip into Seattle, and buying a one-way to Anchorage and then driving from Vancouver back to Seattle.

I'm also not sure about transfers between airport and ship. Please help!

There is no "superior" answer. You need to run some bookings with airlines that service you and see what you come up with. If you use Seattle, you need an extra day. Transfers between Seattle and Vancouver- cruise contracted buses, Amtrak, independent bus, one way car rental, fly. Transfers from ship in Vancouver is simple for any of these pick ups with a cab, or light rail to the airport.

With your airline flight search- use the multi city option and compare this with one way tickets.

Anchorage- You need to at least come in the day before. All the time you can manage, is highly recommended by me, so as to enjoy mainland Alaska touring. Ask yourself how often you are going to return? (yes, I know many are yearly visitors- but flights on the whole are going up and that is an added cost for most.) Take advantage of being there. :)

Anchorage/Whittier transfers are, cruise contracted buses, independent buses, Alaska RR, one way car rental with Avis. The last is expensive- but I suggest you may want to look at it, as multiple hours of touring. You can see and do a lot, that may be of interest. One opportunity that is costly with a fly in on the inside passage- is glacier trekking- can drive to one at a fraction of the cost. :)

Alternatively- taking a Prince William Sound boat tour embarkment day- is an excellent use of time. This tour is grossly superior to anything see from the cruiseship, way closer, and decent wildlife potential.

Only a suggestion- don't be in any rush to get on the ship. There is a LOT of Alaska to see and enjoy.

Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that there will be 8 people in our group. What is the best option for a group this size to get from Anchorage to Whittier?

I'm told there is a train that you can take from Anchorage to Whittier. There may also be shuttle service through the cruise line. I'd ask if it is available because then they might be able to expedite handling your luggage.

I think our group is moving toward the idea of flying in the day before. Less rushed and some time to explore Anchorage and/or the country between Anchorage and Whittier.

For a similar group in Florida, we were able to rent a driver with a Sprinter van that took us from Orlando to Port Canaveral. That would be ideal, but not sure if those are available in AK or if cost-effective.

I'm told there is a train that you can take from Anchorage to Whittier. There may also be shuttle service through the cruise line. I'd ask if it is available because then they might be able to expedite handling your luggage.

I've been researching this and the train is $74 pp - you can leave your luggage tagged for the ship at the railroad and they'll bring it to your cabin. I believe the princess transfers by bus are $50... There are other motorcoach vendors with $35 transfers ... I know they've been posted on this board before... You may want to call Avis in anchorage and see what they will charge for a rental ending in Whittier -- they're the only car rental with an office in Whittier.... But with 8 of you it may be cost effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that there will be 8 people in our group. What is the best option for a group this size to get from Anchorage to Whittier?

All 8 are arriving at the same time? http://www.anchorage.net has independent listings, since you are considering a charter for the group.

I think our group is moving toward the idea of flying in the day before. Less rushed and some time to explore Anchorage and/or the country between Anchorage and Whittier.

For a similar group in Florida, we were able to rent a driver with a Sprinter van that took us from Orlando to Port Canaveral. That would be ideal, but not sure if those are available in AK or if cost-effective.

Flying in the day of an Alaskan cruise, from the east coast is poor planning in my opinion. You absolutely need to consider at least the day ahead. Split up the group with people who do and don't. I would never go along with anyone who can't of doesn't want to do it.

I am seeing plenty of seats for your dates in the $600-$700. range....taxes included...

IAH>ANC, YVR>IAH.

Good, open jaw pricing, no driving to Seattle.

Remember that your flights are close to being equal (in distance) to flying to Europe.

Archived