GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

GAPearl,

I am like a junkie and in need of my next fix! :)

No, really I am anxious to see what you did in St. Lucia because we will be there next week. I booked the Jalousie beach break with Spenser Ambrose. I am now I'm starting to change my mind and DH, who wanted to the do the tour now wants to do something else. Any recommendations?

Anyway, your pictures are fabulous and you looked like you had a fantastic time.

P.S. Your pretty yellow nail polish has inspired me to actually paint mine. Something I haven't done in years because I can't stand the smell.

Thanks,

Maegan

GApearl, this review is awesome! It is very detailed, and the pictures are great! Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip with us. I feel like I was there. Lol.

I'm doing the single digit dance for my cruise. I plan on going to Punto de Vista when we stop in San Juan. I can't wait!! :D

GAPearl,

I am like a junkie and in need of my next fix! :)

No, really I am anxious to see what you did in St. Lucia because we will be there next week. I booked the Jalousie beach break with Spenser Ambrose. I am now I'm starting to change my mind and DH, who wanted to the do the tour now wants to do something else. Any recommendations?

Anyway, your pictures are fabulous and you looked like you had a fantastic time.

P.S. Your pretty yellow nail polish has inspired me to actually paint mine. Something I haven't done in years because I can't stand the smell.

Thanks,

Maegan

Maegan, don't you love Gapearl? I think she missed her calling and needs to change her job don't you? I'm going to have withdrawals when this review is over! Funny, you mentioned painting your nails, I thought about doing mine as well! I wonder if Kim realized what kind of following she would create when she started this? I thought I read in one review she was going to be in Puerto Rico next month. I wonder if that's for work or pleasure?

We did Spencer's tour last July. Cruise before we did Cosol's tour by land to Piton's. You have any questions feel free to email, boutimess1@aol.com This July we are trying mysticmantours.com with Wendell, his tour to Pitons is on a catamaran plus other stops, lunch etc.

Maegan, don't you love Gapearl? I think she missed her calling and needs to change her job don't you? I'm going to have withdrawals when this review is over! Funny, you mentioned painting your nails, I thought about doing mine as well! I wonder if Kim realized what kind of following she would create when she started this? I thought I read in one review she was going to be in Puerto Rico next month. I wonder if that's for work or pleasure?

We did Spencer's tour last July. Cruise before we did Cosol's tour by land to Piton's. You have any questions feel free to email, boutimess1@aol.com This July we are trying mysticmantours.com with Wendell, his tour to Pitons is on a catamaran plus other stops, lunch etc.

I just emailed you.

Yes, I love GAPearl's reviews and believe she may have missed her calling. I doubt she knew she would have a following who is as demanding of the next post as we are but that's good because it means we are hooked and really love her reviews.

Your review is highly entertaining! In fact you got me looking at booking the Valor for my bday next April:p.

I LOOOVE to cruise solo as well. Ive got 2 booked later this year on NCL's Breakaway and Epic. Gurl, there is NOTHING like cruising solo. difference was when folks saw me on my last solo cruise they would ask wasnt that you in bar, or the dating game...I did my Shaggy thing and said no, It wasnt me!! (everytime) LOL

You were rocking those dresses!

Tiffany

Love, Love, Love, the review! I leave in 5 days! Our flight gets in at 5:30AM on Sunday. Any idea what time they start taking luggage on the ship or a place to store it?

Thanks!

Hey,

We will see you Sunday at the M&G. I Barrachina in OSJ stores luggage. I read about it on there webesite and our roll call.

GAPearl, So this Rum Punch is at the Duty Free shop in San Juan or is it in Barbados? And is it in either of those places that seems pretty easy to get it through to our cabins? I've never had it, but it looks yummy, so I will want to find a bottle of it :-)

Thanks for any help. and thanks again for your review. I am really enjoying it and have taken notes for our upcoming cruise on the Valor!!

This is going to be a ridiculously long post. There were so many good pictures and I had a hard time eliminating some.

Coming to St. Lucia, I said I HAVE to see the Pitons. I did a lot of on research here, trip advisor, and Google trying to find a fun tour that would allow me to see these natural wonders. I looked at tour after tour, and there it was. I found the website of Spencer Ambrose and saw that he offered a tour called Heavenward Bound, which is a climb of the Gros Piton. Hmmmm, hiking 2,619 feet to the top of a mountain on a Caribbean vacation sounds like a GREAT idea.....said no one ever. :rolleyes: But as you see, I’m an adventurous person and I figure the more things I do like this in port, the less time I have to spend in the gym on the ship.

Spencer’s tour was $125 and that includes your guide, 45 minutes on Jalouise Beach after, lunch, and round trip transportation to and from the Pitons by speedboat. The beach time is contingent on how long it takes you to make the climb. It could be shortened or eliminated altogether. From the many reviews I read, the climb seems to take about 2-2.5 hours to the top, and about 1.5-2 hours back down. I regularly put in 90 minute workouts that consist of everything from running to high intensity ZUMBA, the stairmaster, weight training, etc, and I had a HARD time with this climb. If you don’t participate in a minimum level of physical activity on a regular basis, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS CLIMB.

I was up early at 7 am and off the ship by 8, ready to embrace a challenging day. Outside the port area, I met up with Laura and her husband Ro from the roll call, and a Spencer Tours representative. We were the only ones booked on this tour from our ship. We were taken to a speedboat and a funny man named Mango drove us 30 minutes to the Pitons. It was crazy bumpy ride. I’m glad I didn’t have a big breakfast because I probably would have gotten seasick. I tried to get a few pictures, but I had to stop so I could hold on for dear life! :eek:

The Adventure of the Seas joined us today.

c49fcf73-cf35-4ef0-b7d1-228324cc916f_zps92a714db.jpg

Mango, our speedboat driver.

e33dc137-bfa3-4294-a603-00d11fef1b05_zps5c516ffa.jpg

Our first glimpse of the Pitons from a distance.

9eb44f37-200f-41c0-a7eb-503824f3e152_zpsbf2075cf.jpg

Look at how blue that water is!

48379887-cf1a-4f6c-b383-84f1932585c3_zps7af02389.jpg

When we arrived, Mango told us we should take our beach towels out of our backpacks and leave them in the boat to lighten our loads. We were so grateful later on we did that. We were each given a 1.5 liter bottle of water. A few other things I had in my backpack were a few granola bars and snacks, sunscreen, Band-Aids and Neosporin just in case, and bug spray. When we got out of the boat, our guide Cameron was there to meet us.

Where it all began.

52417314-fa45-4b43-a260-83f18a97fd80_zps708bbafe.jpg

Is Cameron really wearing flip flops? Get outta here.

0099e04e-e846-4643-a172-846a3ba9f12f_zps5992ef8e.jpg

I had envisioned the trail to be a steep yet flat climb with a few sticks here and there like this. Boy, was I wrong.

23f7a4eb-7650-4569-9ea7-5c6aa89ceefe_zpse7c65de8.jpg

This is where we began. However, it's not the start of the main trail. We had to climb 650 feet, about 30 minutes, to get to the START. This was one of the most challenging areas of the climb. I looked at Laura like really? *insert any two 4 letter words here*

15e35a18-42c1-4f42-b63c-0ea98113ad9c_zps55feb453.jpg

Further along the beginning of the trail.

740b9456-d708-4f05-94c7-eca2981588c9_zps3e6fabfa.jpg

Man, we still have a looooooooong way to go.

b4d06deb-f718-48a8-929e-a76da048ed87_zpsf7f2053c.jpg

We took lots of quick breaks along the way and got to know Cameron a little bit. He's 19 years old and has never been off the island. He's been leading tours for a few years. He said he would love to go to college, but there's no college on the island and it's too expensive to go to school on another island. I think I remember him saying he loves to cook and would love to be a chef. He lives not far from the trail beginning and had to hike down just to meet us, and would have to climb back up to get home at the end. Sometimes, he does 2 tours a day! All guides have to be certified through the government. You're required to have a guide on your climb.

Another pretty picture.

f1c220d5-6267-42d7-9fd7-d8e1a8fa6f6d_zps478ca0ab.jpg

Ugh. What was I thinking when I signed up for this? :confused:

cd485181-c88a-4a11-a705-1c4b000df4e0_zpsd6576615.jpg

We had to literally climb over all these rocks. If you want to be crazy like me and make this climb, bring some weight lifting gloves to protect your hands.

5f95ec6e-0bab-4d45-86dc-c18b7501352f_zpsd81ba375.jpg

6d5f5ebf-8c50-4df7-83a5-aa3953965ddf_zpsfc7bc4a8.jpg

We're finally at the half way point. WHAT A VIEW!!!!!!!!!

0bf008bf-39eb-4bda-be68-27dfd4414db9_zps5548510f.jpg

"I enjoy cruising and traveling solo. You do what you want, when you want. I’m a very social person and have no problem meeting new people, so I’m never really by myself all the time. I would have no problem finding a friend to tag along if I wanted one. Actually a few friends usually try to invite themselves when I tell them of my plans. “Want some company?” NO. “Can I go too?” NO. I know the concept of solo travel is foreign to many. I often get the “Oh my God you’re here by YOURSELF??!!! You’re CRAZY!!!!!” If you happen to meet a solo cruiser, please don’t say something like this. Many solo cruisers will tell you it’s our favorite way to travel. On the flip side, some solo cruisers might be by themselves because maybe a spouse just died, and that reaction will only make them feel bad. A better response would be “You’re here by yourself? That’s AWESOME!”

Georgia Pearl, i travel solo and 100% agree with everthing you have said here!

Well said. Solo cruising is now my preferred cruise travel now. My new plan is not to tell anyone I'm going on a cruise until a few days to a week before, when the chances of anyone booking that same cruise is very slim.

In most cases anyone cruising solo is cruising solo because they want to, no reason anyone should ever feel bad or think that person is crazy. Perhaps it needs to be thought the other way around if a person can never do anything or travel on their own without someone else?? Food for thought? ;)

Edited by MrFunInTheSun