GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

Gone With The Wind fabulous. Most of you won't get that joke, but to my fellow Real Housewives of Atlanta fans, hahahahahaha!

255f1ef3-761e-463d-bbcf-22ee6d19ca99_zpsdf50a9b9.jpg

HAHA!! Yes, you were most certainly Gone With The Wind Fabulous. The only thing you were missing was a twirl or two! lol

I'm loving your review...I'm on this same cruise in 8 days. This review is getting me EXCITED!!! :D

Glad you're enjoying and got some ideas! Will this be your first solo cruise?

No, it will be my 3rd solo cruise(5th cruise overall. All w/Carnival.). Love solo cruising. Going on Conquest repositioning cruise from NOLA to San Juan w/ stops in Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Tortola, & St. Thomas.

Edited by blueangel74

It was here that I discovered the gasolina drink. Nope, this isn't a Capri Sun. It's alcohol. Even better is the fact that it's only $2. At that price, give me a case! There are 5 different flavors. There's a little straw on the inside and you can drink it straight from the pouch, but a classy lady like myself chose to take my $2 drink on ice. :p

8635d6b0-ff70-448d-a7af-37192fa9699b_zps34c00d17.jpg

Rum, tequila, passion fruit and other juices.

2bee8194-36a8-429c-9d59-a01637d6d7fb_zps7af04fb2.jpg

We totally bought cases of these haha Best stuff ever!!!

We were scheduled to leave port at 5 pm, but didn't leave until after 6. Either the captain or cruise director, can't remember which, came on the intercom and said everything was fine, but the delay was because we were being loaded with supplies.

Tonight I got to meet my dinner companions for the week. I was at a table with 6 others, all solo travelers. Our head waiter told us we were supposed to have one more, but he never showed up all week. There were 4 guys and 3 of us ladies, and we ranged in age from 29-69. One lady was on her second week on the Valor. He daughter worked on the ship she got to spend time with her in port. This was probably the most awesome group I've ever been seated with at dinner. You could hear from across the dining room how much fun we were having.

Gone With The Wind fabulous. Most of you won't get that joke, but to my fellow Real Housewives of Atlanta fans, hahahahahaha!

This is a better picture of the every day menu than the one I posted from day 1.

7734721e-e7a8-470e-92ad-56d8ee8c60ba_zps9f1476d8.jpg

2e6efc5d-9924-4f6e-b895-a85fe023efc6_zps84d5f6d0.jpg

c9a6727b-5481-4a23-b5f5-3991d69d0041_zpsc4d3c90c.jpg

I had the potato soup and the farfalle with turkey and peas, as well as a warm chocolate melting cake with 2 ice creams.

949cd11d-b02f-48c7-a4a6-198dc444ea7a_zpsa55571d4.jpg

7fdc00cf-dddc-4e10-9c64-268c2655f814_zps9ec00623.jpg

I have those same shoes! You look great! Definitely Gone With the Wind Fabolous! Twirl!!

Loving your review and pictures. I have subscribed!!! :D

My group and I sail in August, 2nd time on the Valor and 3rd time out of San Juan! Puerto Rico, hoooo!!!

I see a CVS has been added close to the pier which is convenient. I'm sailing with a group, I plan to share this information with them. Two questions, can you share the cost of a case of water, a case of soda and a bottle of wine (looking for Moscato)? Thanks much!

Edited by Hawaii697

Loving your review and pictures. I have subscribed!!! :D

My group and I sail in August, 2nd time on the Valor and 3rd time out of San Juan! Puerto Rico, hoooo!!!

I see a CVS has been added close to the pier which is convenient. I'm sailing with a group, I plan to share this information with them. Two questions, can you share the cost of a case of water, a case of soda and a bottle of wine (looking for Moscato)? Thanks much!

I think you can just call CVS and ask, should be a free call.

I love that dress and those shoes! If I wasn't already 5'10, and 60 yo, I would be wearing those kind of shoes! I wore the higher heels back in the day, but keep them at about 2.5 now. Gone With The Wind Fabulous! Love it. :D

I have 2 questions...In San Juan, since you can get on and off as many times as you want, can you bring back a bottle of wine each time? I was wondering how they would keep track of who already brought their 1 bottle on. When I last cruised from there, I did not drink, but now I have discovered Moscato, and I like it.:D

2...How did you get up on that lifeguard chair for that picture , when the sign says no climbing on it? I laughed so hard, visualizing you sweet talking the lifeguard into taking the picture, and making him forget the rules. :D I like those 2 pictures also. Rebel that you are. Lol. I had my DH laughing when I told him you probably batted your pretty eyes at the fellow.

Wal-Mart has fans you can add water to. You can get a nice cool mist when you are in the middle of your heart stroke. I have been using them for years, love them! And they have a handy dandy clip do they are always close at hand :)

I truly enjoy your reviews! I have MAD respect for anyone who can do a solo travel. I have always wanted to (prior to DH & DS) but would always "chicken out" at the last minute :o. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

0be27ec8-5c9e-436f-a339-0e5fbaf157da_zpsb6136b3c.jpg

Did you go take pics before everyone got on the ship? I wondered why there is water in the tub already?

Thank you for another great review. I really enjoy your pics and commentary.

Sherry

I wondered the same thing... lol

Once I continued reading, I saw that she took the pics on disembarking day, so maybe there is bleach in the water to help clean the whirlpool tub jets? Someone on another thread said they never use the whirlpool tub in suites b/c of the potential for the jets not being cleaned. I wonder if they run the tub at the end of each cruise.

Hi Party Animal! Love that name. :D The ACD you're referring to is Everson. No, he's not on the Valor any more. I asked and was told he's on the Magic, but I'm not sure how true that is. He was a lot of fun on my last Valor cruise, and mighty nice to admire from a distance as well! :p

I was told that he's now on the Glory. If he's on the Magic...he's in my backyard...for that...I would need a roommate...Magic is expensive for a solo person. And though I've spent that for all-inclusive land vacations...airfare was included too.

Lol...um...where was the twirl? Better yet, where was anything that flowed so we could see the effects of the wind? LOL

That Kenya is a mess!

Tonight was the first night for the Punchliner Comedy Club. I went to the 11:15 pm show of Macio, and the midnight show of Happy Cole. Both of them were really funny. On my last Valor cruise, you would have to leave and reenter the Eagles Lounge after every show. They don't make you do this any more. It's kind of nice because you get to keep your seat, but it's not so nice when you come in 20 minutes early and can't find one. The Eagles Lounge was PACKED! I don't know why Carnival doesn't have these shows in the main theater.

I hope Happy Cole is still there in July. He was on the Victory in October. He's the one that was on stage when I entered the comedy show late after my dinner at Chef's Table. His head was turned when I walked in, but the laughter and claps from everyone else made him turn around. And I was wondering why people were laughing and clapping when I made it to the table to sit down. Was Macio the cute white guy with the bald head? I can't remember the other comedian's name that was on the ship. There was an older black guy and a somewhat pudgy white guy on there too, but they were getting off.

I headed back to my room around dark thirty o'clock.

LOL...too funny....dark thirty. That's how I was on my very first cruise. When I'd get back to the room..the only way I knew it was sunlight was from the port window. My friend and I closed the club every night!

Next installment: How I became famous on the ship! :o

Oh oh, what did you do? LOL:rolleyes: As long as you aren't the Debra of my 2011 cruise, I think you'll be fine. The CD and everyone else remembered her.

I always love your reviews. I was excited to see you went on this ship with this itinerary. This might be our honeymoon in October. We are going in 8 days on the Pride. If my fiancee loves cruising as much as I do, then we will book the Valor in October!!! :D