GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

Thank you GaPearl for sharing your awesome adventure. We are cruising on the Valor in December and visiting Puerto Rico for 5 days pre-cruise. I got a wealth of useful info from your review. I just download Mind Snacks for Spanish and it was free! Who knows for how long but I do love a bargain :)

Cheryl

Five days in San Juan is perfect, especially if it's your first visit. Make sure you have Barrachina's on your list. I worked a flight down to San Juan yesterday and told some cruisers about them and the flamenco show. They took my advice and called and booked a reservation as soon as we landed! I'm in San Juan now and got to pay another visit to El Escambron Beach today. Great beach for hanging with the locals and people watching. Have fun with the rest of your planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Going through the App Store you do download for free. But it is for one lesson. You are invited to upgrade. There goes the bargain I loved. lol But it looks like GaPearl found a great App and I am happy to pay for the upgrade.

Yeah, only the first lesson is free. But the $5 fee to upgrade is still way cheaper than Rosetta Stone! LOL

Is it ok that I used toe pictures you posted for me in my signature? If not, I will respectfully remove them. I want to make sure it's ok with you.

Of course it's ok! No problem at all.

I just loved your review and I am so sad that I have read the last page. My daughter & I will be leaving on the Valor on May 12. Thank you so much for all of the great information. I really loved all of your outfits.

I just loved your review and I am so sad that I have read the last page. My daughter & I will be leaving on the Valor on May 12. Thank you so much for all of the great information. I really loved all of your outfits.

Awwww, thanks a lot! You and your daughter will have a great time. I think I have time to ship all my dresses to you before you sail. ;) Have fun and tell us about it when you get back!

Here is a 51 Star Flag. :D

us+flag.png

NOT! :cool:

What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it. I am sure it took a significant amount of time. I wrote a review for the main CC review page for my Alaska Cruise, and it took me all day - and it was short and there were no pictures involved at all. Very impressed. Anyway, I'm sailing on the Valor in a few weeks, and thanks so much about the tips - especially for Barbados & St. Thomas! I wanted more relaxing days there as I have three tours planned in the last three ports (Spencer; Thenford Grey; Bernard's Tours, respectively), so I'm definitely thinking of beach breaks like you did.

Speaking of the Alaska trip, I note on your signature page that you are thinking about taking one. DO IT. AMAZING. BEAUTIFUL. It really makes you feel like a tiny person amongst so much beauty in the world - it's hard to even explain the feeling you get standing amongst the giant mountains and glaciers. Here's my hints for you: Sail from Vancouver, but flying into Seattle is cheaper. If you do that- there is a wonderful train ride from Seattle to Vancouver. Also, try to get Glacier Bay on your trip. I met a single cruiser on that ship, and she was loving it. Also, don't shy away from a holland america or princess cruise in alaska thinking it will be too old of a demographic - I was on HAL for the first time, and Alaska attracts a much younger crowd. They are the two biggest players in the Alaska cruise market.

Finally - If you ever go back to Puerto Rico again for an extended period, do yourself a favor and go to Vieques, a smaller island off the east coast of PR, and go to the Mosquito Bay bioluminescent bay. It's one of, if not the, best bio bays in the entire world.

Anyway, thanks again for the great review.

- Laura

PS: I have Daddy Yankee's Gasolina's song in my head now.

What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post it. I am sure it took a significant amount of time. I wrote a review for the main CC review page for my Alaska Cruise, and it took me all day - and it was short and there were no pictures involved at all. Very impressed. Anyway, I'm sailing on the Valor in a few weeks, and thanks so much about the tips - especially for Barbados & St. Thomas! I wanted more relaxing days there as I have three tours planned in the last three ports (Spencer; Thenford Grey; Bernard's Tours, respectively), so I'm definitely thinking of beach breaks like you did.

Speaking of the Alaska trip, I note on your signature page that you are thinking about taking one. DO IT. AMAZING. BEAUTIFUL. It really makes you feel like a tiny person amongst so much beauty in the world - it's hard to even explain the feeling you get standing amongst the giant mountains and glaciers. Here's my hints for you: Sail from Vancouver, but flying into Seattle is cheaper. If you do that- there is a wonderful train ride from Seattle to Vancouver. Also, try to get Glacier Bay on your trip. I met a single cruiser on that ship, and she was loving it. Also, don't shy away from a holland america or princess cruise in alaska thinking it will be too old of a demographic - I was on HAL for the first time, and Alaska attracts a much younger crowd. They are the two biggest players in the Alaska cruise market.

Finally - If you ever go back to Puerto Rico again for an extended period, do yourself a favor and go to Vieques, a smaller island off the east coast of PR, and go to the Mosquito Bay bioluminescent bay. It's one of, if not the, best bio bays in the entire world.

Anyway, thanks again for the great review.

- Laura

PS: I have Daddy Yankee's Gasolina's song in my head now.

Hi Laura! Thanks for reading! Yes, this took forever to finish, about 2 weeks. I've heard good things about all of those tours, so I'm sure you'll have a great time and also enjoy your beach days.

Alaska is definitely on my bucket list, but the prices are like :eek:! I'm not opposed to trying a different cruise line for Alaska. I've never been in a balcony, and everyone says you HAVE to have a balcony to Alaska. I priced a balcony on Carnival, Holland, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, and as of right now, Carnival is still the cheapest. Glad to hear there's still a good amount of people our age on those cruises to Alaska. I'll have to talk to my mom to see if she wants to spend that kind of money. Also if I do Alaska, it's mandatory that I go dog sledding. I'm not going all the way to Alaska and not go dog sledding. That's about $500. *sigh* So, I've got to figure out a way to make it work with my budget.

I have heard of Vieques and the bioluminescent bay. I wanted to explore other parts of the island with a rental car, but had to cut that out of my budget for this cruise. This cruise was just 4 months after my Mediterranean cruise, and I went WAY over budget on that one, so I had to make a few cuts on this one (even thought you can't really tell from my review ;)). I'll get there one day.

I think I might listen to Gasolina on my way to work this morning! :D

Alaska is definitely on my bucket list, but the prices are like :eek:! I'm not opposed to trying a different cruise line for Alaska. I've never been in a balcony, and everyone says you HAVE to have a balcony to Alaska. I priced a balcony on Carnival, Holland, NCL, and Royal Caribbean, and as of right now, Carnival is still the cheapest.

Alaska is very expensive because of the demand during the four months of the year you can actually go up there. Just for fair warning, the tours are really expensive too. I did A LOT of research for that trip for my family, and I noticed that the independent tours were just as pricey as the ships tour - its more or less about whether you want a smaller, more individualized experience.

As for a balcony, I would recommend one too, but if you want to save on costs, I don't think is a requirement. From my memory, chair hogs are not as common and there is always a place to sit on a deck and look at the scenery. You actually get more people chair hogging inside in lounges that have large windows - because it is cold out (it was about 50-60 degrees everywhere on our cruise except glacier bay where it was in mid 40s - was there in late August when it starts getting colder).

The cost is completely worth it, though. I hate to be cliche, but it was a life changing experience (and I didn't even get up to denali on a cruise tour - that is on my bucket list).

Glad to hear there's still a good amount of people our age on those cruises to Alaska. I'll have to talk to my mom to see if she wants to spend that kind of money. Also if I do Alaska, it's mandatory that I go dog sledding. I'm not going all the way to Alaska and not go dog sledding. That's about $500. *sigh* So, I've got to figure out a way to make it work with my budget.

There are opportunities for dog sleeding on less expensive excursions. The costly ones will have you take a helicopter or plane to a glacier and sled there, but there are ones where you can just drive.

I do have to warn you that there are also a lot of families on Alaska cruises, which changes the vibe a bit. On my cruise, there were a lot of young teenagers - didn't see as many crazy screaming kids as I did on a couple of my warmer-weather cruises, though. It's such a completely different vibe on an Alaska cruise than a Caribbean cruise. Hard to explain, but people seem much more peaceful... and warm from wearing a lot of outerwear (I bought a whole new cruise wardrobe for this trip... which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;))

This cruise was just 4 months after my Mediterranean cruise, and I went WAY over budget on that one, so I had to make a few cuts on this one (even thought you can't really tell from my review ;)). I'll get there one day.

I don't know how you could NOT go over budget on a Medit cruise. If you stayed on budget, I say you were doing it wrong ;).

- Laura

Alaska is very expensive because of the demand during the four months of the year you can actually go up there. Just for fair warning, the tours are really expensive too. I did A LOT of research for that trip for my family, and I noticed that the independent tours were just as pricey as the ships tour - its more or less about whether you want a smaller, more individualized experience.

As for a balcony, I would recommend one too, but if you want to save on costs, I don't think is a requirement. From my memory, chair hogs are not as common and there is always a place to sit on a deck and look at the scenery. You actually get more people chair hogging inside in lounges that have large windows - because it is cold out (it was about 50-60 degrees everywhere on our cruise except glacier bay where it was in mid 40s - was there in late August when it starts getting colder).

The cost is completely worth it, though. I hate to be cliche, but it was a life changing experience (and I didn't even get up to denali on a cruise tour - that is on my bucket list).

There are opportunities for dog sleeding on less expensive excursions. The costly ones will have you take a helicopter or plane to a glacier and sled there, but there are ones where you can just drive.

I do have to warn you that there are also a lot of families on Alaska cruises, which changes the vibe a bit. On my cruise, there were a lot of young teenagers - didn't see as many crazy screaming kids as I did on a couple of my warmer-weather cruises, though. It's such a completely different vibe on an Alaska cruise than a Caribbean cruise. Hard to explain, but people seem much more peaceful... and warm from wearing a lot of outerwear (I bought a whole new cruise wardrobe for this trip... which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;))

I started researching the Alaska cruises and excursion prices about 2 years ago because I was actually hoping to do this cruise last year. You're right, the independent excursions are still expensive. Nothing seemed to be under $100. I didn't find any dog sledding excursions you can drive to. I guess I'd have to keep looking a bit more. I've thought about booking one of the 4k cabins, interior with French doors that open. Not quite a balcony, but I'd still get a good view at a cheaper price. Thanks for all the info! I really do hope I get to do this cruise next year.

I don't know how you could NOT go over budget on a Medit cruise. If you stayed on budget, I say you were doing it wrong ;).

- Laura

I eventually just stopped counting how much I spent! :eek:

Here's a quick recap of the past week.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Restaurants:

• Genesis Restaurant- good, cheap food, family owned restaurant
  • Caficultura- great place for coffee and breakfast
  • Barrachina- traditional Puerto Rican cuisine, home of the pina colada, free flamenco show Friday and Saturday nights with reservation :)
  • Fattie’s- Jamaican food, little hole in the wall, cheap lunch specials, really good
  • Blessed Café- Caribbean food, rum punch menu, prices not listed on the menu so make sure you ask how much before you order

Things to do:

• Museo de Felisa Rincon de Gautier- free
  • San Juan Gate- free
  • San Juan Cathedral- free
  • Casa Blanca- free
  • Don Q Museum- free
  • El Escambron Beach- free
  • Museum of the Americas- $3
  • don't forget your gasolinas- $2 around town, and you can get a box of 5 from duty free at the airport for $7.50 :D

Nightlife:

• Nuyorican Café- salsa dancing with the locals and a live band
  • Colmado Bar Moreno- dancing to the hottest reggaeton music with the youngins :p

Hotels:

• Da House- boutique hotel in the middle of Old San Juan, walking distance to everything
  • Caribe Hilton- nice resort on beach, food is pricey

St. Thomas:

• $8 taxi each way to/from Magen’s Bay
  • $4 admission to Magen’s Bay
  • $7 for beach chair plus $5 refundable deposit

Barbados

• $5 taxi to The Boatyard
  • $12 admission, includes chair, umbrella, drink, taxi back, and free wifi
  • $20 Snorkel Wid Neville trip

St. Lucia

• Spencer Ambrose Gros Piton climb- $125 :eek:

St. Kitts

• Welcome Tours With Beulah- $30 :)
  • Beach massage- $1 a minute
  • $3 for chairs at Shipwreck Beach
  • $50 if you want to buy a monkey, LOL :o

St. Maarten

• $8 taxi ride each way to/from Maho Beach
  • $10 for beach chair

I love this... I was taking notes while reading your review little did I know if I would have waited I could have just printed this!!!!

Do you recall the price of the taxi from Da House to the Port?

I love this... I was taking notes while reading your review little did I know if I would have waited I could have just printed this!!!!

Do you recall the price of the taxi from Da House to the Port?

LOL well I'm glad you found this helpful! The taxi to Da House was $19 plus $1 per bag. Is that where you're staying? When is your cruise?

LOL well I'm glad you found this helpful! The taxi to Da House was $19 plus $1 per bag. Is that where you're staying? When is your cruise?

Not until 2014 but im a planner with a capital "P"... I found Da House researching the Island then found your review so I was really excited. So from airport to hotel is $19 + $1.

How did you get to the cruise port? If also by taxi was that another $ 19 or was it a different amount. I apoligize if I over looked the answer!

Also the Hub and I just moved to Ga in October, we are loving it here!

I've thought about booking one of the 4k cabins, interior with French doors that open. Not quite a balcony, but I'd still get a good view at a cheaper price. Thanks for all the info! I really do hope I get to do this cruise next year.

GAPearl,,,,the balcony has a drawback as well. Although we had one on our Alaskan cruise and it was great,,,,don't forget there is the "other" side of the ship as well. We were with another couple when we cruised up the fiord to Sawyer glacier who stayed on their balcony for the whole time. We were up top and the 360 degree view was so much better than what we would have seen limiting ourselves to our balcony. The other couple was looking at our photos that night at dinner and couldn't remember seeing those views,,,,because they were on the "other" side of the ship!!

I sure hope you make it up there,,,it is awesome!!

AND,,,thank you so much for your review, as you can see in my signature, we're on the Valor Thanksgiving week!!:D You're review has been very helpful!!

Not until 2014 but im a planner with a capital "P"... I found Da House researching the Island then found your review so I was really excited. So from airport to hotel is $19 + $1.

How did you get to the cruise port? If also by taxi was that another $ 19 or was it a different amount. I apoligize if I over looked the answer!

Also the Hub and I just moved to Ga in October, we are loving it here!

I'm a big planner too so I know where you're coming from! I thought I'd be able to walk from the hotel to the port, but it would have been way too difficult with all my bags on those narrow streets. I took a taxi but I don't remember how much it cost. (Maybe $14-$15 plus bags???)

Welcome to Georgia, pollen capital of the world! Your allergies will never be the same! :eek:

GAPearl,,,,the balcony has a drawback as well. Although we had one on our Alaskan cruise and it was great,,,,don't forget there is the "other" side of the ship as well. We were with another couple when we cruised up the fiord to Sawyer glacier who stayed on their balcony for the whole time. We were up top and the 360 degree view was so much better than what we would have seen limiting ourselves to our balcony. The other couple was looking at our photos that night at dinner and couldn't remember seeing those views,,,,because they were on the "other" side of the ship!!

I sure hope you make it up there,,,it is awesome!!

AND,,,thank you so much for your review, as you can see in my signature, we're on the Valor Thanksgiving week!!:D You're review has been very helpful!!

The "other" side of the ship is something I have thought about. Even with a balcony, I know I'd have to go up to the decks to see more, so that's definitely something to think about. Maybe we don't need to splurge on a balcony after all. Plus it gets dark in Alaska pretty early, right? So even with one we probably won't see much when leaving port. I've got a little more research to do, and I hope we make it too!

What a great way to spend your Thanksgiving! Have a great time on your cruise and thanks for the feedback and for reading! :)

Plus it gets dark in Alaska pretty early, right?

No it does not get dark early,,,this picture was taken at about 11:15 at night,,,,it only gets "dark-dark" for about 2 hours every evening, especially the further north you get!!

DSCF4387.jpg.2474486e6b97ebc2191edd039a68e162.jpg

I'm a big planner too so I know where you're coming from! I thought I'd be able to walk from the hotel to the port, but it would have been way too difficult with all my bags on those narrow streets. I took a taxi but I don't remember how much it cost. (Maybe $14-$15 plus bags???)

Welcome to Georgia, pollen capital of the world! Your allergies will never be the same! :eek:

Thank You, I looked on line and by zone it likes about $15. And yes the pollen is crazy I moved from Ohio so I was used to allergies but nothing like here. And everything turning green from the pollen EWWW...

Thanks again for the great review, we are going three days before and staying two days after so you gave us lots of ideas what to do while there.

No it does not get dark early,,,this picture was taken at about 11:15 at night,,,,it only gets "dark-dark" for about 2 hours every evening, especially the further north you get!!

Oh wow! Beautiful picture!

Thank You, I looked on line and by zone it likes about $15. And yes the pollen is crazy I moved from Ohio so I was used to allergies but nothing like here. And everything turning green from the pollen EWWW...

Thanks again for the great review, we are going three days before and staying two days after so you gave us lots of ideas what to do while there.

Yeah there's really no point in washing your car from March-May because it will be GREEN again in a matter of hours. Oh, and another heads up, if you haven't noticed them yet. GA had a massive invasion of these d@mn kudzu bugs about 3 years ago. They look like green lady bugs and STINK! They only come out during the spring and summer warm weather, and disappear quickly when it rains and gets cold. They're almost impossible to get rid of. I took a whole can of raid to my patio one day, killed them all, and the next day, there were hundreds more to replace the dead ones. If one gets in your house, don't smash it when killing it because it can stain your wall or furniture. Google the kudzu bug. Hopefully you haven't had to deal with them, but here's a heads up.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed my review and I hope you post one when you return! :)

Edited by gapearl

GAPearl, it is now 2:20am my local time and I am can now say that I am done reading your review! Lol! It was SOO good that I couldn't stop reading and absorbing all the info that you've shared. :) My DH and I will be taking our first cruise on the Valor in 3 days. Thank you for taking the time to share all this info. We CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!! :D :D

You truly have a gift with writing! I love your sense of humor! Thank you for taking us with you on your adventures. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews! Cheers! :D

Girl, I'm reading your review for the third time!! I just did a huge haul at express, your outfits is inspiring me to dress a little better and out of my "mommy" uniform!!

I haven't had a huge haul at Express in a while. I dropped over $400 in there last summer as a happy birthday/yay I'm not dating him any more treat to myself. :o I love their clothes and they fit me really well. I love digging through their end of season clearance racks when everything is marked way down with an extra 50% off. That's when I can really stock up. My next cruise is only 5 months away. Time to start shopping now! Have fun shopping for your non-mommy hottie clothes and wearing them on your next trip! :)

P.S. I see your family picture isn't in your signature any more. I hope you add another one with an updated picture of your beautiful family soon.

GAPearl, it is now 2:20am my local time and I am can now say that I am done reading your review! Lol! It was SOO good that I couldn't stop reading and absorbing all the info that you've shared. :) My DH and I will be taking our first cruise on the Valor in 3 days. Thank you for taking the time to share all this info. We CAN'T WAIT TO GO!!! :D

You truly have a gift with writing! I love your sense of humor! Thank you for taking us with you on your adventures. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews! Cheers! :D

Thanks for staying up so late to read! I know, it's long and takes a while to get through it all LOL. Thanks a lot for the kind words. Have fun on your cruise next week. Be sure to enjoy a Miami Vice and a warm chocolate melting cake (with TWO ice creams) for me! :D

I haven't had a huge haul at Express in a while. I dropped over $400 in there last summer as a happy birthday/yay I'm not dating him any more treat to myself. :o I love their clothes and they fit me really well. I love digging through their end of season clearance racks when everything is marked way down with an extra 50% off. That's when I can really stock up. My next cruise is only 5 months away. Time to start shopping now! Have fun shopping for your non-mommy hottie clothes and wearing them on your next trip! :)

P.S. I see your family picture isn't in your signature any more. I hope you add another one with an updated picture of your beautiful family soon.

Omg you really do remember me!! :D:D:D. I took the pic down because our brood has grown by one more, so need to update the picture of the kids including my little handsome man!!

I'm taking my MIL and DD on Freedom on the 18th and cleaned up my local Express clearance rack!!! I go through different phases with my fashion, there's the "Lets be a conservative mommy" days, "relive my youth days" , "I will wear this before I am too old" phases!

I know this sounds looney but I'd love a picture of "what's in my makeup bag" shot of your next cruise! I re-read the review but must have missed how to find you on Facebook. Could you direct me?

I haven't had a huge haul at Express in a while. I dropped over $400 in there last summer as a happy birthday/yay I'm not dating him any more treat to myself. I love their clothes and they fit me really well. I love digging through their end of season clearance racks when everything is marked way down with an extra 50% off. That's when I can really stock up. My next cruise is only 5 months away. Time to start shopping now! Have fun shopping for your non-mommy hottie clothes and wearing them on your next trip!

Omg you really do remember me!! :D:D:D. I took the pic down because our brood has grown by one more, so need to update the picture of the kids including my little handsome man!!

I'm taking my MIL and DD on Freedom on the 18th and cleaned up my local Express clearance rack!!! I go through different phases with my fashion, there's the "Lets be a conservative mommy" days, "relive my youth days" , "I will wear this before I am too old" phases!

I know this sounds looney but I'd love a picture of "what's in my makeup bag" shot of your next cruise! I re-read the review but must have missed how to find you on Facebook. Could you direct me?

This was from my first Valor cruise back in Sept. 2011. A whole drawer of nothing but makeup and jewelry, most of which I never used. SMH :rolleyes:

DSC09391-1.jpg

Oh, and I have 2 more dresses from Express that I didn't get to wear on this cruise, so I'll be bringing them on the Breeze! :D

Congratulations on your new addition! Email me your info on how to find you on FB at gapearlcruiser at yahoo.

Thanks for staying up so late to read! I know, it's long and takes a while to get through it all LOL. Thanks a lot for the kind words. Have fun on your cruise next week. Be sure to enjoy a Miami Vice and a warm chocolate melting cake (with TWO ice creams) for me! :D

Quick question for you, on your first night, did you have to go to your designated time slot for dinner or was it more like anytime dining? We have early dining booked, but we're hoping to do more San Juan sightseeing. Thanks!

PS. I will definitely have the Miami Vice and the chocolate melting cake with TWO ice cream for you!! Lol!! Thanks again! :)

Edited by MrsLadyL

Quick question for you, on your first night, did you have to go to your designated time slot for dinner or was it more like anytime dining? We have early dining booked, but we're hoping to do more San Juan sightseeing. Thanks!

PS. I will definitely have the Miami Vice and the chocolate melting cake with TWO ice cream for you!! Lol!! Thanks again! :)

The first night is open seating for everyone. You'll get to do as much sight seeing as you want.

Again, have fun next week! :D:D:D