GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

Subscribed! Can't wait for this review!

Thanks for subscribing! So much more to come!

I just spent the last hour reading your Mediterranean review aboard the NOS. I am ready for more.

Thanks for reading them all!

We are doing this sailing in May and have reservations at the steakhouse for the first night

I hope they still offer the free bottle of wine.

I can't wait to read this review. I have been waiting for somebody to post a Valor/S. Caribbean review. We are on this cruise in July.

You're going to have an awesome time! July will be here before you know it.

Yay! Love your reviews. I was on the Valor in October of last year and will be on it again in May leaving from Puerto Rico. I can't wait to read your review. :D

Thanks for stopping by! It's a totally different vibe on this itinerary.

Subscribed!! :D

Another returning customer! :D

We will be on the Valor in 4 days! Can't wait!

Ohhhhhh, you're going to have a blast!!!!!

This review is awesome! I too travel alone (by choice) & feel the same way about being asked why. I also sailed solo on the Valor a few years back. Got one of those weirdly shaped rooms on Main Deck for slightly more than the Inside Stateroom I initially booked, too. Loved it! Subscribing!

keep it coming, on this cruise in June

Take me with you! Your cruise is a week before my birthday!

Can't wait for more! We are doing this trip in July.

Best itinerary ever. You're going to have a blast.

Hello Ms. Gapearl. I took am a peach :). Thank you for sharing. We will be heading to San Juan in May for our honeymoon and I am so looking forward to the rest of your review!

Happy honeymoon to you fellow peach! :) Be careful. There are so many beautiful, romantic places, you might come back as a family of 3. ;)

Let the church say, "Amen!!" I lol'd on this one. I know exactly what you mean:eek::p

Oh I have much more comedy for you! :p

Ok Kim....I am so ready for this review. We are getting ready for this snow tonight, and since I am essential personnel, we have to get here tomorrow. I need a warm weather fix to get me through the next day or two. Welcome back. I loved my solo cruises, because it seems like everything you want to do, gets done. Can't wait for more.

They're saying we might get snow flurries here in Atlanta. It's March, it should be 80 degrees here by now! :eek: I can't wait to post the pictures I got of your room. I'll be posting them with day 1 of the cruise.

Yay!!! Can't wait for what I know will be another great review!

Thanks for reading again!

Looking forward to this as I am a single mom whose one and only daughter leaves for college this fall. I am thinking about trying a solo cruise after she leaves just to you know, ummm help with get over my empty nest syndrome!! yeah that's the ticket LOL. Figure I already have to pay for both of us to cruise when we go, so I am used to paying double fare - just now I would have the room and bathroom all to my self!

Will have to go look up your other reviews.

thanks!

And you get all the closets to yourself too! :D I think you should go for it. You'll be surprised at how much fun you can have on your own.

Thanks for the review I read your other Valor review and loved it (that "cornbread" was a disgrace! lol). I'm looking forward to reading more as my daughter and I (and hopefully some other family members) will be sailing on the Valor in August. Did you happen to take a peek in the Children's Museum? Are there activities for children of all ages or is it only for a specific age group? My daughter will be a week shy of 2 when we sail.

Spoiler alert: There will be a cornbread part 2 post. :p

No, I didn't make it into the children's museum. It has mixed reviews on trip advisor. I'm sure it's not more than a few dollars to get in, so I'd say give it a shot.

Heeey Booo.. Welcome Back.. MY LORD those Planes fly Low Low LOw LOW LOW Low LOW... I would hate to be Drunk honey and see that lolol... Thanks for always doing A review adn sharing with us.. BC I know U be busy

Hey honey! I'm gonna try to get some pictures uploaded to Facebook before I finish the review. You and a few others will get a sneak peek. ;) The planes were awesome! I know what you mean about drinking and seeing that though! :p

I can So see it. Look at that lady laying on the ground.. lolol, They probley see crazy stuff then that..... and "Thank GOD I kow JESUS" lolol I know Thats right honeyyy! lolo This is good..

And I'm just getting started. LOL

Hello fellow GA Peach!:D I too live not far outside of Atlanta. We'll be on the Valor on the 31st. My son LOVES Ponce de Leon and is so excited to see that church where he is burried. It's been on our list. His home? Didn't know about that one. Will have to look that up. Can't wait to read more about your trip!!! And I teach CPR...the company I teach for has all the Head Start facilities in GA (teaching all the teachers and staff). Wonderful program.

Sounds like you have a few extra places to add to your list! I hope you get a few days to explore San Juan. There's so much to see. I'm sure I'll have this done before you leave. :)

Thanks gapearl and imsailing for the info about the steakhouse!

You're welcome! Enjoy!

I've subscribed and can't wait for more. I'm glad I had already swallowed my food when I read your post about you thanking God that you knew Jesus. Girl' date=' I hollered!

And I was there in October and it was hot as hell (or what I think hell would feel like)...and now I'll be there in July...good Lord, what was I thinking? :eek::confused::eek:

And I'm doing my first solo cruise!!!!!![/quote']

I warned you about the humor and sarcasm at the very beginning! :p Have fun on your cruise! You're gonna have a blast! Be social and you'll meet plenty of people. They normally seat solo cruisers together so you'll meet more people that way too.

By the way, I bought some of that Cockspur rum and rum punch you told me about! Oh man that stuff was strong!

Great review thus far as usual. Keep it coming!

Thanks a lot!

GA-P...nice review. You're doing a good job channeling (and giving a tip of the lens cap to)italianfemmy, my fellow Breeze shipmate. Can't wait to see your color accent creativity on future snaps. And...the waiter was right on your eyes! :) Hope you didn't stand him up.

Thanks for the words! So many more pictures to come. And no, I didn't stand him up. No love connection, but he was a nice guy I enjoyed conversing with. :)

Love your pictures of Puerto Rico... That's on my bucket list along with lots of other things... Looking forward to your trip...

Carolyn

You and Rae would have a great trip there! I need to play catch up with your review. :)

Popcorn? Check.

Cool beverage? Check.

Hubby and baby locked away in another room? Check.

Okay, I'm ready to start reading this review.

I sail in 4 days, I need a fix until then!!!!! :D

You must be soooooo excited! Have a great time!

You have me laughing so hard, luv your reviews, especially this one, I am learning a lot, we sail Dream to PR in September, gosh I wonder how hot it will be then? Keep it up.......

Happy Sailing,

Are you laughing at my Spanish? LOL Puerto Rico in September will be HOT. Bring plenty of sunscreen and drink lots of water.

Oh, how I love entertaining reviews!! Thank you :). We (Me, DH and 2 young adult DS’s) are thinking about this cruise for next January. Now I have to go back and read your other reviews.

LOVING your review...subscribing!!!!!!:)

Thanks Yankee Girl! :)

Can't wait for this rest of this review! Already read your other Valor review to scope out the ship! Cant wait for more info on the ports, and of course the Funtimes!!

Thanks for reading both reviews!

Waiting on pins and needles for the nwxt installments. Headed out on the Valor in June and really love all the sights you are showing. Thanks for the review so far:D

Taking a break from the Imagination? LOL :D Another solo trip for you?

Love your reviews!

Thanks for coming back to read more!

This review is awesome! I too travel alone (by choice) & feel the same way about being asked why. I also sailed solo on the Valor a few years back. Got one of those weirdly shaped rooms on Main Deck for slightly more than the Inside Stateroom I initially booked, too. Loved it! Subscribing!

Yay, another solo traveler! You totally feel where I'm coming from. I tell people all the time don't knock it til you try it.

Loving your review and pictures. I'Ll be on the cruise in May.

Thanks for reading! Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

I think I've responded to most of the comments. I'm about to edit my pictures for the next San Juan installment. Be back soon. :D

Love your reviews! Can't wait to hear this one as we're going in October. Did you happen to notice if they took Steakhouse reservations the first night?

Not trying to hijack, but you can make your steakhouse reservations on-line. I made ours already for the Nov cruise on the Valor. Roger:)

Loving your review! It's so nice to read a Valor review with Southern Caribbean. As I began to start researching it, I thought everyone HATED this itinerary until I realized the Valor didn't always do the Southern Caribbean. I cannot wait to read more... doing this ship/ports in May!

Ps: I love your dress with the tights from Day 1? Where'd ya get it? I am always looking for longer tops with tights, especially travel days.

Loving your review. I'm gonna get in trouble because I keep sneaking to read your review at work. I'm finding myself taking very long bathroom breaks just so I can sneak a peek at your review.:o

Can't wait till Dec. when we can sail away on the Valor also. Looking forward to information about Barbados on Christmas day also. Thanks a bunch.

San Juan- Day 2!

I slept in a bit and was up and out around 10:30 am. Today was going to be a much lazier day than the day before. My first stop was Caficultura for breakfast.

9c3f519c-9636-4d88-b06a-f435453fc7d8_zpsb3127f6b.jpg

59c0a358-237c-40b0-b589-a12ae738f64c_zps4eae4463.jpg

dac99d95-e510-4623-8b62-aaf74e5e6c14_zps2e97c270.jpg

I had a cafe con leche (more or less a latte) and a mallorca with guava spread. Both were very good. They don't have sugar available for your coffee, only Splenda. That was the first time I've ever tried Splenda. Normally, I dump 47 packets of sugar in my coffee, and I only needed 2 Splenda. I think Caficultura might have converted me to artificial sweetener.

Mallorca with guava spread.

adfe6ba6-7810-4f56-abb1-7cd536749c7f_zpsed7f2362.jpg

Cafe con leche. The baristas make art with the foam in your coffee. I was dressed for the beach and I think that's me.

2c7ca73a-d3ad-473c-b7da-b818855b377d_zps5325b18a.jpg

I stopped at a gift shop to buy a beach towel and a bottle of water and was on my way, headed for El Escambron Beach.

23edface-d733-406a-8638-17107b78944a_zpsb6e2dc6a.jpg

El Escambron Beach is about a 30 minute walk from San Cristobal Fort in Old San Juan. However, it took me about 45-50 minutes because I took so many pictures along the way. It was a very scenic walk. This is a great route to go for a run as well.

03cf54a5-6756-455c-93c0-75e393f81fa7_zps6f23547e.jpg

1477eea9-5b54-4ef7-9f51-22f3dbdbad95_zps74f89d38.jpg

f8dedf56-871f-4137-9d27-50c1df89f4bc_zpsccba02b7.jpg

I've been to both of the forts on previous visits to San Juan, so the only pictures you'll see here are from the outside.

3dc8bc3a-4ed2-4e00-bb8a-3a33d7cd9fa5_zps282a7611.jpg

85fc4dc6-e6f0-4aa4-8809-783450e0daff_zps50ac0628.jpg

This white trolley takes you back and forth between the two forts. It's only a mile walk though, if you can manage. The green trolley is the one that takes you through town. Be sure you get on the right trolley!

b4e0e237-6e46-49a4-b99a-c0d61d27f5a1_zps08fd3155.jpg