Epic Review 2/16/13 Pics and Dailies

Cruzface

Sun decks above the pool deck:

P2201402_zps26b9b45e.jpg

P2201403_zps47bd5c5b.jpg

Covered tables in the Great Outdoors area:

P2201405_zpsdadb357d.jpg

This was a major through traffic area. Great for watching the band and activities and people, but not very relaxing.

Next up: Slides.

Edited by Cruzface

I went on all three slides. The toilet bowl one is fun. Keep your butt up and you will fly. The purple one was crazy. I did not know where the check I was going, but I was going fast. The green one is more tame.

P2221633_zps97e6a4a2.jpg

P2221632_zps09e3aeec.jpg

P2221629_zps625a1005.jpg

P2221624_zpsafc11e73.jpg

Next up: Bars

Cabins:

GetAttachment3_zpsf486892c.jpg

GetAttachment17_zpsc9976da6.jpg

Why he chose to take them at that angle, I have no idea.

It's actually pretty creative composition. When you're in a small room and trying to show a lot, sometimes angling the camera will get more in the frame and convey a different sense of space than if you were to just take it portrait or landscape. For example, for the top picture, if he had just take that in portrait, we would've seen two beds and floor - angling the camera allowed us to see the vanity, as well. It gives you a better perspective of space.

I'm enjoying your review! We will be sailing on the Epic from Rome this May. Keep it coming!

Edited by LittleMissMagic

Cruzface, you know that picture looking up towards Posh, and you say the left elevator leads up to Posh? Does the right elevator lead up to a public sundeck? or does that part belong to Posh. Im a bit confused as other posters have said on other threads that it was a public sundeck on that side, and some said it wasnt, or shouldnt be or that it changed back and forth. So Im just wondering if there was public sun deck up there on that side. Thanks.:)

Edited by SMSACE6

I'll start with the coolest, literally, bar on Epic. I was a little skeptical at first, but we loved it. A few things. It's 17 degrees in there. It is an ICE bar. Wear some freaking clothes! And shoes! Not flip flops. As we were going in an older couple was coming out bragging that they lasted 45 minutes. So of course my wife declared we have to last at least 46 minutes. We did. We also met some really fun people in there, even though they were all Red Sox and Patriots fans.

P2211577_zpsbd268f1e.jpg

P2211463_zps52a880d6.jpg

P2211469_zps73706add.jpg

P2211475_zps3fef369f.jpg

So sorry about your dear furbbies passing .. it is always hard to lose a family friend..

I love your review and all the pictures.. We will be going on the Epic in Nov.. It is our 1st NCL cruise and are really excited to be going with a group we met here on CC..

Cheers

Atrium Bar. Great place to hang out while waiting for a table at Taste. We watched the Mexcal Duo who were very good.

P2211594_zpsa6a3f610.jpg

Maltings Whiskey bar. Another great place to hang out before dinner. Sometimes they had entertainment as well.

P2211583_zps82adb787.jpg

One night we were relaxing here which is next to Maltings and two couples were playing a card game in the seats behind us and were really upset that the Mexcal Duo was playing music and disturbing their game. Really? Just leave.

P2211590_zpsf1756364.jpg

The barber shop is right across from Maltings. Fun to watch. Actually our 17 yr old got a $35 haircut there! Don't ask.

P2211585_zps45037f02.jpg

Cruzface, you know that picture looking up towards Posh, and you say the left elevator leads up to Posh? Does the right elevator lead up to a public sundeck? or does that part belong to Posh. Im a bit confused as other posters have said on other threads that it was a public sundeck on that side, and some said it wasnt, or shouldnt be or that it changed back and forth. So Im just wondering if there was public sun deck up there on that side. Thanks.:)

Yes, the right leads to the public sundeck. You can walk all the way forward and around to the port side, but as far as I know, can't get to Posh from that side.

I never actually took that elevator, but I think it does lead to the public part. Others may be able to confirm that. While it may be in the same area, you don't get the other perks of Posh which are the bar and food delivery.

It's actually pretty creative composition. When you're in a small room and trying to show a lot, sometimes angling the camera will get more in the frame and convey a different sense of space than if you were to just take it portrait or landscape. For example, for the top picture, if he had just take that in portrait, we would've seen two beds and floor - angling the camera allowed us to see the vanity, as well. It gives you a better perspective of space.

I'm enjoying your review! We will be sailing on the Epic from Rome this May. Keep it coming!

That's what he said!!!

$59.00 per person for the week. They only sell a limited amount, so go straight to guest services once you board.

Thanks Cruzface

We are definitely going for the passes and now hubby wants to check out an upgrade! (we are an inside cabin)

More pics! More tips!

(thank goodness we finally figured out your departure point)

Jo. :)

Thanks for the pics and views so far - keep them coming.

1st Epic cruise looming up this summer - was just wondering though about the places where you can enjoy a laze or a beer seated comfortably i.e. lounging 'IN THE SUN' ? I love my vitamin D and adore enjoying a beer or wine or cocktail whilst lounging in a comfy chair on a sun deck IN THE SUN. But I'm seeing increasing amounts of photos of public areas outside that are shaded by canopies. I'm not looking for the regimented sunbeds where you will plant yourself for the afternoon - if you are lucky:cool:, but somewhere near a bar with some activity where we can people watch and sup IN THE SUN for just an hour or so ?

Will I find what I'm looking for ? Anyone with some pictures they can show ?

Thanks

Fig

Edited by FiggyWig

Thanks for the pics and views so far - keep them coming.

1st Epic cruise looming up this summer - was just wondering though about the places where you can enjoy a laze or a beer seated comfortably i.e. lounging 'IN THE SUN' ? I love my vitamin D and adore enjoying a beer or wine or cocktail whilst lounging in a comfy chair on a sun deck IN THE SUN. But I'm seeing increasing amounts of photos of public areas outside that are shaded by canopies. I'm not looking for the regimented sunbeds where you will plant yourself for the afternoon - if you are lucky:cool:, but somewhere near a bar with some activity where we can people watch and sup IN THE SUN for just an hour or so ?

Will I find what I'm looking for ? Anyone with some pictures they can show ?

Thanks

Fig

The best place for that is Posh. But you can grab a lounger on the pool deck near the Waves Bar and get all the people watching you like.

Shakers Martini and Champagne Bar. We never went there, but it is in a great location. Mid ship next to the atrium and Wasabi. It had a nice little nook which lead to the Cigar Lounge. Great place for quiet time.

P2211580_zps1e27a1cc.jpg

P2211578_zps6fb111af.jpg

The nook area:

P2211579_zpsce47faaf.jpg

P2211581_zpsaa9a35e4.jpg

O'Sheehan's is both a bar and a restaurant. It is really like your neighborhood pub. Comfort food, pool, darts. But with a friggin bowling alley in it! We only had drinks here so I am putting it in my bar section. My son's had wings and burgers there and they said they were great. Great location, mid ship by the atrium. Actually goes the width of the ship so you can sit at the railing of the Atrium and watch the activities while you have your wings and beer. The food is free except for the milk shakes. The boys didn't try them because they were extra. They even knew they had charging privileges! Good boys!

P2181147_zps5513fdc1.jpg

P2211601_zpsd068cf56.jpg

P2211603_zps255bc76f.jpg

P2211605_zps5b21fc05.jpg

There are many bars throughout the ship. If you want a drink, you do not have to go very far. They even have a bar right in the buffet, which is the first time I've seen that. And it make perfect sense. Why can't I have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner of lunch in the buffet without having to go out on the pool deck to get it.

We found the bartenders to be great. However, the boys received some poor service with their soda cards. I get it, no tip involved means no service. But they were annoyed and rightly so.

Next up: Posh and lounge hogs.

Pool Table in O'Sheehans!!! Any idea if you can play for free or if there's a charge?? I'm excited about that! Great review!!! Please keep it coming!

Not only pool table, but 2 pool tables in O'Sheehans. It costs $1.50 per game. I had about 20 $1.50 charges from the boys playing pool at all hours of the night.

Posh and the Posh Pre-Possessors.

P2160986_zps83893b96.jpg

I know I posted that pic before, but it really captures all that Posh has to offer. Behind the bar are stairs that lead to an upper deck of Posh. A little windy, but still nice. We spent one day up there when all the lounges and beds below were taken or "reserved." No problem we pulled two comfy chairs together up there and made our own lounges.

Posh has a lunch menu which is very good. People raved about the swordfish burger, but I didn't care for it. The chicken Caesar wrap was great. The onion rings were very good and the veggie wrap was very good. Best of all it was all free and brought to you in Posh by a waiter.

If you don't like the menu in Posh, just take the elevator down to the buffet right below you and bring back whatever you want.

The bar in Posh as I have said is great. Mr. G IS the best.

Now the controversy. Some people have been posting from the cruise that there were too many posh passes sold and as a result there were not enough chairs. I disagree. The chair joggers and the teens taking up a bed for 2 by themselves was the cause. Exhibit A:

P2201460_zps9c4930f4.jpg

Those chairs and beds were all "reserved" by one group of people some of whom were the very ones complaining about the over sale of Posh passes. I didn't see any purple wrist bands on the hypocrites, I mean hoggers.

If people snuck in I didn't notice. But I did notice that they passed out fruit skewers during the day:

P2181102_zps908f4a9f.jpg

Next up: Entertainment

Cirque d' Dreams: We loved it. I'll admit to being skeptical, but I thought it was really excellent. Maybe it went a little too long. But that could just be us wanting to enjoy more of the ship.

We paid for regular seats and had a booth in the back. It as fine and We saw everything except maybe one portion of the trapeze act above the ceiling.

The food was good, not great. But you are not there to eat. Sit back eat and enjoy the show.

P2211613_zpsae882ba9.jpg

P2181158_zpscfa0e9fa.jpg

Fat Cats Blues Club: This one I feel bad about. I heard so much hype about Slam Allen that when I found out he was not on the ship, I kinda wrote off this club. Big mistake. Charlie Love and the Silky Smooth Band were really excellent and I wish we spent more time in there.

P2221644_zps4a951312.jpg

P2221647_zpscf778ecb.jpg

Blue Man Group: Very well done. Interactive, funny and unique. Definitely worth seeing. Once. Next time on Epic, I don't have to go. Frees up more time for other fun stuff.

Howl at the Moon: Also excellent. Two piano players doing contemporary songs that they want you to sing along to. Very interactive and you can request songs as well. Tips. We stopped in here several nights.

I already mentioned the reggae band and Mexcal Duo (we actually danced to them in the atrium). There was a great guitarist as well.

Bliss: Best dance club on a ship ever. We went there most nights. Sometimes just to hang out, have a few drinks and watch the people dance. We played darts there as well. Lots of fun. A few nights we joined the dancers and before you know it, it's 2:30 am!!! I'm getting too old for that!

One thing I have to mention here is how good the staff in the club was. We watched several under he kids try to come in and dance. They weren't being unruly or trying to drink, but it was an adults only club. The waiters and security politely checked for their cards and then told them they had to leave. Very well done NCL.

GetAttachment16_zps985a12c6.jpg

The Quest: Held in Bliss and was fun to WATCH. Do not volunteer unless you are an exhibitionist.

P2221675_zpsd9cf57f7.jpg

Also Ship and Males was held in Bliss: that's when we left...

P2221678_zps014c824a.jpg

Cruise Critic Meet and Greet is also held in Bliss. Another first for us and I was happy we went. Very nice people and We had fun getting to know each other. I guess this is what normal people do...

Next up: The.Best.Party.At.Sea.

Edited by Cruzface