Alaska 10 day Cruise

Arizona-Cruising

Looking for thoughts on the 10 day or 7 day cruise to Alaska 10 day out of San Fran and back and 7 day Seattle to Seattle
Not to worried about which ship, taking mom and sister along with us Summer of 2014;
Is the 10 day worth the price differance. This will be there 1 st cruise.
We have been to Alaska 4 times so we feel comfortable either trip, just concerned 10 days for their first time.
Just thought I see what fellow CC members thoughts were.

Thanks

We have taken the 10 day cruise twice and never taken the seven day cruise. We live in LA. Believe it or not is cheaper for us to drive up to SF and take the 10 than fly up to BC or Seattle for a 7 day. So I can't speak on the 7 day.

But the 10 cruise was very good. The sailaway out of SF under the bride is really good. My problem with the 10 day is I am not a fan of the Sea Princess. But I think that ship is now in Australia. I think the Coral or the Island would be very good choices.

The 10 day goes to Traci Ford. A lot of people say Glacier Bay is better. But on our second cruise we went to Traci Ford on perfect day and it was great. On our first cruise to Alaska we ran into a little storm and could not go to Traci Ford and they brought on a Canadian pilot to go through the channel between BC and the Vancouver Island. That was also really good.

I think on the7 day you can opt for a land trip to Deneli with Princess.You can't do that on a 10 day.

Also on the 10 day you get a half day in Victoria. This is one of my favorite cities... but not enough time is spent there.

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']Looking for thoughts on the 10 day or 7 day cruise to Alaska 10 day out of San Fran and back and 7 day Seattle to Seattle
Not to worried about which ship, taking mom and sister along with us Summer of 2014;
Is the 10 day worth the price differance. This will be there 1 st cruise.
We have been to Alaska 4 times so we feel comfortable either trip, just concerned 10 days for their first time.
Just thought I see what fellow CC members thoughts were.

Thanks[/quote]

We've gone twice roundtrip out of Seattle ... LOVED IT.

This year we are going out of San Francisco. The airfare into Seattle was horrible from PHX and reasonable into SF. 3 extra days is a true luxury and I think worth the extra cost. Rumor has it that next year it will be an 11 day. Will know for sure when the itineraries are released on the 14th from Princess.

We are looking into Alaska next year too. Think we might end up with the SF cruise again.

We have cruised Tracy Arm and Misty Fjord ... gorgeous scenery, great time. Can't wait to see Glacier Bay. Not all cruises out of SF cruise Glacier Bay so be sure to double check itinerary just in case that is important to you.

Victoria ... I love the fact that we get to be in Victoria during the day instead of nighttime. We arrive at 7 am and leave at 2 pm. Would love a full day there too.

Another factor in choosing is time in the Alaska ports. For us in May: Juneau 1 pm to 9 pm, Skagway 7 am to 8 pm and Ketchikan 8 am to 5 pm. Plenty of time to do whatever we want.

Our first cruise was 7 days and we didn't want to get off the ship. All 4 of us were first time cruisers and we had so much fun.

Have fun deciding. What a wonderful vacation.

Thanks for info so far 2014 looks like Grand and Crown are going to Alaska waters
Glacier bay would be first preference but either is fine. Once actual ships are posted then I will do my research. Have done Golden and this fall we do Caribbean to New England so have to use CC recommendation on other ships
Thanks for such quick response

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']Thanks for info so far 2014 looks like Grand and Crown are going to Alaska waters
Glacier bay would be first preference but either is fine. Once actual ships are posted then I will do my research. Have done Golden and this fall we do Caribbean to New England so have to use CC recommendation on other ships
Thanks for such quick response[/quote]

We have friends who want to go with us next year, so we are going to cancelled our coastal cruise and booked Alaska. Can't wait to see what is offered.

Princess seems to be doing quite a bit of ship changing of locations next year, so will be good to finally know which ship will be in San Francisco etc.

Our friends just want a minimum of 10 days for whatever cruise to Alaska we choose. Flying into San Francisco is just more convenient, but I must admit shock at booking a hotel by the wharf the night before . It was almost double the cost of Seattle downtown. We just cut back on our time before and after the cruise there. Never been to SF with my hubby of 26+ years, so that will be exciting too. Neither of us have been there since we were in college (so years ago). LOL

I love to follow your cruise this year and see how you like the Grand. What tours you do and what you think.

The Golden is in need of TLC. So she is pulling out of Alaska waters soon the strong rumor is told.
My monks on full time O2 and health getting weak. So her bucket list is AK and we see s going as family.
Thanks for your time.

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']We are desert rats also. Deer Valley area which area are you from[/quote]

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']I love to follow your cruise this year and see how you like the Grand. What tours you do and what you think.

The Golden is in need of TLC. So she is pulling out of Alaska waters soon the strong rumor is told.
My monks on full time O2 and health getting weak. So her bucket list is AK and we see s going as family.
Thanks for your time.[/quote]

We are in Chandler ... transplants 9 years ago from Los Angeles.

Here's our roll call:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609081[/URL]

There is TONS of research on the roll call regarding what to see, the ship, photos, etc. I love researching and when we have a cruise planned I kick into high gear.

Hope it will be helpful to you too.

[FONT=Verdana][quote name='MilliesMom']Will know for sure when the itineraries are released on the 14th from Princess.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/quote][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][quote name='Arizona-Cruising']Once actual ships are posted then I will do my research. [/quote][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]No need to wait. [/FONT]See post #32 on the thread at [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799653&highlight=alaska"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=alaska[/URL]

[SIZE=3]We have sailed both itins.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We plan to go back, and we will use the SF embarkation. I read their new terminal is open. It's just easier, since we live in SD. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ten days was not too long. All that fresh air at a higher altitude, plus shore excursions can wear you out. Having those extra restful sea days was great. :)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As mentioned, Sea is gone, replaced by Crown ?---Ok with me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Pat[/SIZE]

[quote name='caribill']

[FONT=Verdana]No need to wait. [/FONT]See post #32 on the thread at [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1799653&highlight=alaska"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=alaska[/URL][/quote]

Yes, I have seen that. But no prices posted nor times in port. Also I want to be sure that these are the ships etc. Will be confirmed on Thursday when new info is posted by Princess. My friends will want all the specifics before we all decide. I am researching HAL and Princess, but feel the best will be with Princess out of SF.

[quote name='sassyredhat'][SIZE=3]We have sailed both itins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]We plan to go back, and we will use the SF embarkation. I read their new terminal is open. It's just easier, since we live in SD. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Ten days was not too long. All that fresh air at a higher altitude, plus shore excursions can wear you out. Having those extra restful sea days was great. :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Pat[/SIZE][/quote]

New terminal is open for the American Cup, but the cruise ship area/section is phase two and will open next year hopefully in April or May. So depending on when the cruise is and if there are more ships in port that day you could still end up at the old terminal.

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']Thank you for the roll call link
Being from phx and mom yuma Alaska is welcome cruise!
This weekend c was a nice change before heat starts
Thx again[/quote]

You are welcome.

I agree about the weather in Alaska being a welcome retreat from here.

[quote name='Arizona-Cruising']I love to follow your cruise this year and see how you like the Grand. What tours you do and what you think.

Thanks for your time.[/quote]

We found the Golden to be in excellent condition back in July, what did you find wrong with her?

[quote name='sassyredhat'][SIZE=3]We have sailed both itins.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Pat[/SIZE][/quote]

The Grand is replacing the Sea, although, in 2014 it seems the Star will be replacing the Grand during the Alaska season.

We are doing a 10 day out of SF in June and were also surprised at the added cost of spending a few days in the city before the cruise! Our wonderful TA found us a great rate at the Embassy Suites on Gateway Blvd. It's not right in the middle of everything but does have a free shuttle to Union Square. It came down to a cost/benefit analysis for us. We will also be doing a day tour of the city including Muir Woods, making my Dad's life-long dream of seeing the giant redwoods come true!! :D

[quote name='CruiseAdict218']We found the Golden to be in excellent condition back in July, what did you find wrong with her?

🌝Some friends cruised her to Hawaii crew told them she was in need of some minor cosmetic repairs pool area and deck 14 doors and glass said they told them last yr. for Golden/Alaska tours. Again still rumor nothing in print. We personally enjoy Golden and her crew.

The Grand is replacing the Sea, although, in 2014 it seems the Star will be replacing the Grand during the Alaska season.[/QUOTE

🌝Some friends cruised her to Hawaii crew told them she was in need of some minor cosmetic repairs pool area and deck 14 doors and glass said they told them last yr. for Golden/Alaska tours. Again still rumor nothing in print. We personally enjoy Golden and her crew

Archived