Does RCI have a wind/wave height cut off for access to Coco Cay?

I don't know all the nautical terms but I will tell you from exp. Been to that wonderful island many times. Last time tried to parasail but the wind was to much but we stayed on the island all day. Tenders ran. They were a bit choppy, but still they went back and forth. Had a time getting on the ship from the tender....that was a hoot and gives you another reason to say RCL's crew members work hard.

Happy cruising!

Wave heights for Coco Cay on Wednesday are looking to be in the 2 meter range. That combined with 20 mph hours would be bad for tendering. However, weather conditions are improving from today through the rest of the week so it is possible that the weather will be better than forecast. :confused:

I am sure they have something in place about it. I few years ago about 400 people had to stay over night on coco cay because the seas were to bad to get back to the ship.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1356836

Where in the heck did they stay at over night? Did the ship wait for them or not?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

I don't know what the specifics are, but when we were there in November we weren't able to get to the island - they were saying something about the channel being very narrow, and then tenders not being able to navigate them safely... So is this wind or current related?

Out of 3 tries, this was the first time we didn't make it. Fingers crossed that we make it at the end of this month!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sailing tomorrow and its calling for 20km winds. Are we screwed?

Actually the RCI Island Manager makes the decision based on conditions that would allow for safe tendering and guest safety. RCL has never divulged the criteria to my knowledge. We sail in two weeks and are hopeful of getting onto Coco Cay for Monarch's last visit there :)

It really depends on the direction as well. When you sail during the Winter, which is high-seas season, you always risk missing ports due to weather.

The good news is that you may go straight to Nassau and overnight there, so you can enjoy a dinner ashore, which you might not otherwise get to try.

We had an amazing dinner in Nassau at one of the few 5-star restaurants in the Bahamas/Caribbean, and got an amazing tour of the 3rd-largest private wine collection in the world...and the oldest bottle of wine in existence, some of the most expensive wines in the world, and a humidor made from the wood from Columbus' ship. We took a stroll through the gardens and pool area. These are things we would not get to do if we made CocoCay, so you just have to find a way to make the best of whatever happens. Sometimes, the things you're not expecting turn out to be the best experiences, so just enjoy it.

Ok. The OP stated the forecast is for 20 KPH (kh, sic) winds. That converts to just over 12 mph. That is nothing.

Fret not KingsGirl, you'll be just fine. There will be a light chop, nothing to worry about.

Hth,

Jim

Archived