Travel agent vs DIY?

adanaccruisers

I think it might be interesting to turn this entire topic upside down. So let me pose a question? Why would anyone want to book directly with a cruise line? Having literally spent years of my life on cruises, and still booking 75-100 days of cruises a year, we just cannot find any justification for booking direct with any line. We do always look at the cruise line prices (and amenities) when we are going through our own booking process, and we have never found a situation when the cruise line's own web site yielded a deal as good as what we can get from a TA.

Now, another very important issue is that not all TAs are equal. In fact, there are actually some situations where a particular (or small group) of TAs will have deals with a particular cruise line that is better then their competition. The real challenge is finding out which TA has the best (or close to the best) deals....and for many of us this is simply done by a little online research. And sometimes, there can even be better deals by calling these agencies....because there are restrictions (enforced by the cruise lines) on what they are permitted to advertise or put online. Some major agencies get around some of these restrictions by only offering their best deals to clients (or potential clients) that have registered their e-mails with that particular agency. So we find some major financial advantages to being registered with multiple TAs (we ourselves have used 6 different TAs within the past 5 years). The only down side is that you will find yourself getting too many e-mails from these agencies....but that is the price one pays for keeping informed.

Now I will give you an interesting recent personal example (from the past few weeks). We were on a cruise when we realized that the future cruise booking office (these are the folks onboard the ship that will book future cruises) had a very attractive offer. This offer was better then we had seen on land with our TAs in that it involved a nice On Board Credit only available if booked onboard. So we e-mailed one of our favorite TAs and asked if they would give us pre-paid gratuities (worth over $300) if we booked on the ship and transferred the booking back to the TA (an easy procedure actually done by the cruise line). Once they told us what we wanted to hear we proceeded to book on the ship, transfer the booking back to the TA, and then get the extra amenity from our TA. The attitude of the future cruise staff onboard the ship was that "this is the deal we can offer and any extras you get from the TA is between you and the TA." Granted that this only involved saving a little over $300.....but that sure pays for a few bottles of wine :) So my advice is very simple. Shop around among several major cruise agencies (these are online) and compare the overall offerings to what you can get by booking direct with the cruise line. For those of you that have a strange hang-up where you just "must" book direct with a cruise line, you do generally have the option (this varies by cruise line) of doing that direct booking and then transferring that booking to a TA who is willing to further enhance your overall amenities.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I think it might be interesting to turn this entire topic upside down. So let me pose a question? Why would anyone want to book directly with a cruise line? Having literally spent years of my life on cruises, and still booking 75-100 days of cruises a year, we just cannot find any justification for booking direct with any line. We do always look at the cruise line prices (and amenities) when we are going through our own booking process, and we have never found a situation when the cruise line's own web site yielded a deal as good as what we can get from a TA.

Now, another very important issue is that not all TAs are equal. In fact, there are actually some situations where a particular (or small group) of TAs will have deals with a particular cruise line that is better then their competition. The real challenge is finding out which TA has the best (or close to the best) deals....and for many of us this is simply done by a little online research. And sometimes, there can even be better deals by calling these agencies....because there are restrictions (enforced by the cruise lines) on what they are permitted to advertise or put online. Some major agencies get around some of these restrictions by only offering their best deals to clients (or potential clients) that have registered their e-mails with that particular agency. So we find some major financial advantages to being registered with multiple TAs (we ourselves have used 6 different TAs within the past 5 years). The only down side is that you will find yourself getting too many e-mails from these agencies....but that is the price one pays for keeping informed.

Now I will give you an interesting recent personal example (from the past few weeks). We were on a cruise when we realized that the future cruise booking office (these are the folks onboard the ship that will book future cruises) had a very attractive offer. This offer was better then we had seen on land with our TAs in that it involved a nice On Board Credit only available if booked onboard. So we e-mailed one of our favorite TAs and asked if they would give us pre-paid gratuities (worth over $300) if we booked on the ship and transferred the booking back to the TA (an easy procedure actually done by the cruise line). Once they told us what we wanted to hear we proceeded to book on the ship, transfer the booking back to the TA, and then get the extra amenity from our TA. The attitude of the future cruise staff onboard the ship was that "this is the deal we can offer and any extras you get from the TA is between you and the TA." Granted that this only involved saving a little over $300.....but that sure pays for a few bottles of wine :) So my advice is very simple. Shop around among several major cruise agencies (these are online) and compare the overall offerings to what you can get by booking direct with the cruise line. For those of you that have a strange hang-up where you just "must" book direct with a cruise line, you do generally have the option (this varies by cruise line) of doing that direct booking and then transferring that booking to a TA who is willing to further enhance your overall amenities.

Hank

I couldn't agree more. We booked our Oasis TA aboard Allure in early April (the first day it was available), and got the onboard booking credit of 150 and reduced deposit. Then we came home and contacted our TA and got gratuities for two for 13 nights, 100 of obc from them, and dinner in a specialty restaurant on top of our diamond balcony discount and the amount offered onboard.

Honestly, I do not ever see offers booking direct at the cruise line websites like the ones made with the TA'sl Our reservation was made with RC onboard and then transferred to the TA.

Edited by internetwhiz

i think alot depends on the TA. i am from a smaller town and when we inquired with the only TA in town we were told they couldn't get us a better price or any extra's plus it would cost us 25.00 pp for them to book it for us.

Then, you look online for a reputable TA that has listings online. Ours is waaaay up in New Hampshire, and we are in Arkansas!

Usually I do my own bookings for almost everything. Last year we were at a travel show n LA and I was standing next to a couple who were discussing a cruise/tour of NE and Canada. I had not thought about that. I sat down and the TA went through several other options I had not thought of. We settled on a 7 day Princess bus tour followed by a 7 day Princess cruise to see the colors change booked through the TA. She had several ideas of other places that my wife and I had not even considered. Early 2014 the TA has arranged a bus tour for us but I just arranged our next Princes cruise in 2014 (11 day Alaska rt San Francisco) myself directly through Princess.

i think alot depends on the TA. i am from a smaller town and when we inquired with the only TA in town we were told they couldn't get us a better price or any extra's plus it would cost us 25.00 pp for them to book it for us.

You are right, "alot depends on the TA". We also live in a small town.

I contacted a so called "TA" in town and found out that I knew more about cruise's than he did, (we have only done 2). He did this parttime, LOL.

I did my research and booked with Celebrity myself, no problems.

After all this, I found a fulltime TA in the Atlana area, (lived there for years), and she offered to load us up with perks, OBC, etc., if we were to transfer out booking to her. We did.

Bottom line for us: Continue to research on my own, (its fun), book thru our TA.

Then we are all as happy as a "dead pig;) in the sunshine"!

In the form of getting perks, etc from your TA...good agents will get you something, most I know will flip back a good portion of their commission if not all back to the customer..that's how to build a client base...why steal from the select few when you can rob from the masses so to speak...plus the perks given are made up by selling that travel insurance, prehotel, car rental etc.

OBC are misleading because of the value is relative to the customers view of what is of importance to them.

In the form of getting perks, etc from your TA...good agents will get you something, most I know will flip back a good portion of their commission if not all back to the customer..that's how to build a client base...why steal from the select few when you can rob from the masses so to speak...plus the perks given are made up by selling that travel insurance, prehotel, car rental etc.

of what is of importance to them.[/quotOBC are misleading because of the value is relative to the customers view e]

When OBC amount to more than $1000, thats NOT misleading!

The advantages of using a travel agent are myriad starting with the fact that you will always have someone looking out for you. You shouldn't pay anything more to use a travel agent than you will by going direct ... the commission is paid by the cruise line NOT YOU.

Cruise Lines will not always tell you about the special that will save you money or offer you an amenity nor will they call and tell you if the pricing changes in your favor and advocate on your behalf. Additionally many times a travel agent will have something special through their agency that the cruise line won't have or doesn't offer.

As a travel agent I am always looking out for my clients, checking and rechecking prices to make sure that they have the best value for their money and as part of the country's largest reseller of cruises franchise group I can almost always meet or beat any online price, many times have great amenities that aren't offered by anyone else and will be there for you if you have an issue.

A computer is a great place to do research but a good travel agent is constantly taking continuing educational classes, has the most up to date information about pricing and itineraries and has most likely traveled far more than the "website" you are looking at or the reservation clerk you have talked with.

You have nothing to lose by working with a travel agent and much to gain by establishing a relationship with one.

Cruise 10000....what I was referring to was OBC being a perception bonus, but everyone views it different....

To most non drinkers an inclusive beverage package is a wasted perk, yet they might prefer a dinner at the steakhouse instead, or a pre cruise hotel.

You need to know your client base and utilize the perks they will see as perks, not what the lastest incentives being pushed through corporate.

Bottom line, people like to get something for free, or a bonus, perk, whatever you call it....

OBC are misleading because of the value is relative to the customers view of what is of importance to them.

Have no idea of what you are trying to say other then it makes no sense. Having been on many more then 60 cruises (more then 3 years at sea) we have booked all but one cruise with TAs because of many benefits. OBCs are real money and help offset our onboard accounts. As to perks, we have never bought any travel insurance, prehotel, car rental, etc. from any TA in about forty years of travel. Once in a while a TA will ask us if we need insurance (we do not buy trip insurance) and we say no. None of my favored TAs (and we currently use 3 different agencies) even sell hotels, rental cars, etc..

As to how they can cover the cost of perks there are several methods (some of which they would not discussed) but suffice it to say that some high volume TAs get certain allowances (this is an area generally not discussed) from the cruise lines plus incentives like overrides. The cruise lines have a vested interest in supporting high volume TAs..while also giving the appearance of maintaining price integrity. High volume agencies will also sometimes cut their commissions which they can do because of high volume and controlled overhead (this is called good business practices).

And I again will say that your comment on OBCs makes absolutely no sense. If somebody is willing to give you money (and OBCs are the same as real money) there is nothing misleading about the practice. Even the cruise lines give out OBCs to certain groups (such as Princess Cruise Lines Military OBC, or stockholder credits given by all cruise lines under the CCL or RCI banner).

Hank

Hank,

Not sure where the confusion is....you mentioned not using insurance, rental car, etc from your TA, so them throwing this in as part of your package would not mean as much as more OBC.

Its different for every traveller....I would prefer 1000 airfare credit rather than OBC. For some its all about OBC.

OK, I see where you are coming from.

I agree that if you were given an OBC for something like drinks and that was not of any interest to you, then it would have little or no value to you.

I think most TA would be able to add "perks" to your package that you could use, if they knew what you did not care about.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking a cruise through a travel agent vs do it yourself?

One of the biggest advantages I see using a TA is that if you have any questions you can simply e-mail the TA and she or he will contact the cruise line on your behalf and get the information for you quicker and more accurately than you can as an individual. Most good TA's have special numbers and particular people that they deal with at each cruise line, which allows them quicker access than individuals.

I used to want to do my own tips, but it soon became apparent that it was easier to let the TA include it even if I paid for it. Sometimes a TA will comp it.

I think in a recent change TA’s have not been able to advertise discounts because of unfair competition between large agencies and small agencies. However one might possibly get a refund after the cruise.

Sometimes I get a bonus and sometimes I don’t but I would even use a TA if it cost more.

Years ago I booked a cruise while on board a celebrity ship, but could not get the cabin I wanted. The onboard agent said it wasn't available. One assigns this type of booking to your local TA. I was looking around on the internet and on a whim put my telephone number in. I got a call from a large cruise travel agency agent and told her what I wanted. She called back later and told me she had the cabin and at a cheaper price than my local agent. I like to keep business close to home, but if I got it $100 cheaper and I changed bookings. I did this especially since my local agent could not get me the cabin I wanted. I have now been using this same TA for over 10 years and the service is so much better than my local that I could never go back local. She will e-mail back within a few minutes with a response about how long I should wait for the requested information

Don’t forget one can get an on-board credit with the RCI (synb: RCL) (RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara) line if you have 100 or more shares of RCI stock. You just have to make application and send proof of ownership.

I bought some years ago at $10/sh and last I checked it was $47/sh.

I have only been on 44 cruises of about 2 weeks each,, but my cruising life has been made much easier with my TA.

Hi-

I just covered this topic on a recent post to my blog. Here's a link, if you're interested.

We've taken 14 cruises and still use a travel agent. Here's an example why:

* We received knowledgeable help during the planning phase

* The agent gave us shipboard credit

* She sent us all the online boarding documents and color luggage tags before the trip, as well as instructions on finding the port and tips for embarkation

* When we got on board, we learned she had bought soda packages for us as a surprise, and had chocolate-covered strawberries delivered to our room

* When we got back, she sent us an animated note welcoming us home, saying she'd call soon to find out how our trip went

Now, maybe they don't all go to this extent, but all I can say is, "Wow!" - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com

We book our cruise ourselves and then transfer the booking to our favorite travel agent. The reason that we do this is that he is much better at navigating the idiocies of cruise companies than we are if there are any problems w the booking.

DON

Had the same TA for 10 plus years and even though she operates out of another city I continue to use her. She fights the battles if there are ones to be fought, always gets me the cabin I want and is generous to boot. I do my own air but the rest is in her hands

I have just booked our first cruise for a group of 7. While its my first time cruising, I am definitely not new at travelling. I have tried booking with TA's (for my french polynesian honeymoon, it was nice since we had other things to worry about at the time) but like to do it myself when possible. In this case, it allowed to really take the time to get to know the itineraries and cruise ships I was interested in, look at available offers 5-6 favourite websites. I approached our TA to compare deals and found nothing better. When we finally booked, one of the websites promoted 150 extra OBC (on top of the 50 we were seeing accross all websites). So we contacted CCL, asked them to match the offer we found (they did) and booked directly through the cruise line. Given this first experience went so smooth, we will most likely do this again.