proper clothing to wear at religious churches

Hi everyone, we are going on the splendour of the seas on august 6. We understand that when seeing places like the vatican, you must wear the proper clothing, no short sleeves, etc., . I wanted to know if I could wear a skirt, knee length or do they want longer. Also, does my husband and son have to wear pants, no shorts. Just checking

We have visited the Vatican quite a few times and I have always worn long pants and a shirt with short sleeves.

You are not allowed in if your are wearing shorts and a sleeveless top. If it is hot and you want to wear something without sleeves, take a large scarf and drape it around your shoulders like a shawl and you will be allowed in.

Jennie

Hi everyone, we are going on the splendour of the seas on august 6. We understand that when seeing places like the vatican, you must wear the proper clothing, no short sleeves, etc., . I wanted to know if I could wear a skirt, knee length or do they want longer. Also, does my husband and son have to wear pants, no shorts. Just checking

Men cannot wear shorts at St. Peters.

Yes, Laura, you are right, men should wear long pants in all churches. Regarding your skirt, you are on the safe side if your knees are totally covered. Yet I would say there is some flexibility in interpretation depending on the individual look.

Baseline: No bare knees, no bare shoulders. (And of course no other parts inbetween exposed.) Respectful, decent clothes. And of course a respectful behavior, too. (Like no running around during mass, no entering in "prayers only" areas ...)

These guidelines should be followed in all churches irrespective if the parish (or who ever) can afford to put somebody in place to check visitors' dress and behavior or not.

Enjoy Europe!

Baseline: No bare knees, no bare shoulders. (And of course no other parts inbetween exposed.)

That's the rule. If you have any doubt about your skirt, wear something else. It would be a pity to miss seeing something over a trivial matter like the length of a skirt.

We bought the pants like you can find here at REI.com which were great. They are light weight, legs come off and on easily so can be pants or shorts, and the best feature are the many hidden pockets. They have pockets that zip inside regular pockets so your essentially pick-pocket proof. The pockets are also large so you can store a lot of stuff. We bought a full outfit a piece pants and shirt, wore it in all ports sending them out to laundry on sea days. They are kind of pricey, but even being the cheapskate I am, found them worth the investment.

They also made hubby take off his baseball cap at St Peter's. He knew better, only forgot.

They are light weight, legs come off and on easily so can be pants or shorts, and the best feature are the many hidden pockets. ... They are kind of pricey, but even being the cheapskate I am, found them worth the investment.

They don't have to be pricey. Check out Sierra Trading. I've bought outdoor gear from them for years. Outlet prices.

Having done quite a bit of backpacking, this type of gear is perfect for travel. The outdoor stuff tends to be durable and light.

They can be quite strict. I suggest that you wear what you would dress casually in at home to go to church. If you don't go to church, call in at a Catholic church close by to where you live and ask. I'm sure they'll let you know.

Vatican Website http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

Andy -

Seeing how some people dress at church both at home and on vacation, I wouldn't recommend wearing what they would dress casually in at home to go to church.

European churches are more conservative in dress than those here in the US.

Some are strict, most are not. St Peters has the most strict restrictions, but you can purchase a wrap for a reasonable cost that allows you access. My wife carrys a sweater to cover her shoulders, with the exception of St Peters I have worn a polo shirt and short pants in every other church with no problems.

I have worn a polo shirt and short pants in every other church with no problems.

Even if you can get away with it, I like to repeat my plea for being respectful to the places of worship and to the feelings many religious people in Europe have.

It would be appreciated if basic dress and behavior rules (eg. no shorts, no bare shoulders) were followed in all churches irrespective if the parish (or who ever) can afford to put somebody in place to check visitors' dress and behavior or not.

proper clothing to wear at religious churches

No offense intended...I just found it a tad funny...

Would this be as opposed to what is proper at a "Non-religious church"?

:) :) :) :)

I have another solution that I used in the Med...

I have a pair of "wind pants" that I bought at Target once for around $10 or $12...for a completely different use (cold weather).

What they are are thin nylon pants with an elastic wasteband and zippers up either ankle so as to allow them to be pulled on easily over any kind of footwear...

I just brought them along in my knapsack while I wore shorts for most of the shore excursion...They roll up into next to nothing so carrying them around is easy...When we got to St. Peter's, I merely pulled them out iof my knapsack, stepped right into them over my shorts...and Voila! Properly attired...

Respectully Carlmm, I am currently in Italy and have visited a least two or three churchs each day. In places where there have been an attendent I have hesitated at the door and I have been waved in. What you can do during your visit is leave an offering, this is very much appreciate as many of the churchs have a declining membership base.

Archived