Tips to MAXIMIZE Denali?

Oldnslow1

We will overnight in Palmer and head for Denali with a stop in Talkeetna. We are booked at the Grande Denali Lodge and I expect to arrive mid afternoon or earlier. The plan for day 1 is to see the WAC and Visitors Center with a trip by our rental car to the Savage River area. I hope to catch the sled dog feature at 4:00PM. We will overnight and catch the 5:00AM shuttle to Wonder Lake and not spend any time pre-Savage River, hoping to have seen it the day before. We will leave for Anchorage the next morning.

Do you have tips or secrets about maximizing our time and opportunity for wildlife viewing? I have read the Alpenglow and understand the nuances related to Tours vs. Shuttle and understand the bug factor at Wonder Lake. Do you recommend stops other than preset bus stops? Any ideas for a unique experience or different strategies? Thanks, oldnslow1

Denali is way more a scenery trip. Wildlife is pure luck. There is no way to "maximize" any wildlife. You will need a good pair of biniculars, I recommend at least 10 power, and wide angle. It is rare to have a lot of close up viewing. Usually wildlife is far away.

I frequently split with who I'm with for both of us to get window seats on opposite sides. No issue leaning over for me. :)

I have been in Denali Park many times. Always, the wildlife action has fallen off significantly past Eielson.

Be WELL prepared for bugs at Wonder Lake. Forget the "kid stuff" usually used, it is pretty worthless. 100% DEET, needs to be considered, if time is going to be spent there, along with a head net.

The park service website has some good info regarding maximizing the potential for wildlife sightings.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/wildlife-viewing.htm#CP_JUMP_229956

This can be pretty dry reading although is consistent with what BQ has indicated that most of the sightings have been best prior to Eielson. This report also indicates that maximum viewing is between miles 30 to 50. I saw one earlier report from the park service that was consistent with this info as well.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/naturescience/upload/Phillips_RoadStudy_Summary_Report.pdf

I disagree that there is no way to maximize wildlife sightings. One very good way is to take multiple trips into the park. That won't work for you, but is one very good way.

Another way is to be ready to hop off and on shuttle buses. If you see a bear maybe in the distance and the driver only wants to stop for a few minutes, be ready to hop off the shuttle 1/2 mile down the road and hop on another shuttle returning in the other direction. Sit on the side where you saw the bear and be ready with your binoculars and/or camera. I have done that with multiple shuttles back and forth to spend more time viewing and photographing bears that end up coming closer to the road.

Don't fall asleep on the trip back to the entrance. Quite a few people do. Stay awake and be actively looking for wildlife all the time. That is a very good way to maximize wildlife sightings.

It might be true that "most" wildlife is seen between miles 30 and 50, but don't let that deter you. Be ready with your camera or binoculars at all times. I have seen a lynx before we even got onto the main road into the park (just as the bus was pulling out of the WAC). I have seen a LOT of bears between mile 53 and 66. I have seen quite a bit of wildlife between Eielson and Wonder Lake too. Always be ready.

Archived