Carnival with an infant... Tips?

gatorclaw

I know Disney is a magical place, but I don't think they've figured out a way to make it germ free, or to make the Central Florida humid heat any more bearable.

I'd pick a cruise with a 16 month old any day over Disney. At that age, kids don't even know who Mickey is yet.

My son knows who Mickey is! He loves him. But like you say. No way I'd take him to Disney at this age. When he's older and can decide the rides and what he wants to do is when I will take him there. Plus it is way to hot. Obviously it's hot in the bahamas but majority of the ship is air conditioned. Makes it much easier.

I think OP said his daughter will be 16 months old on April 2014. That means she's 3 months old now (if my high school math is correct :o)

Whoops, my bad! In that case my advice would be to book a suite or at least a balcony cabin, since you will be in the room a lot...and to bring a nanny or grandma and and lots of baby food, diapers, wipes, toys and a good stroller.

Thank you everyone (especially Tapi)! This is all great info.

I'll check out the family board too (I wanted the Carnival perspective). So if there's anyone else who can offer help- I would love to hear it!

Hello friends!

April of next year I'm going on the Pride from B-more and doing something I never thought I'd do: cruise with a 1 year old! :eek:

It'll be me (38), gf, my parents, my 17 year old daughter, and my infant daughter who will be 16 months at cruise time...

Please offer any help, suggestions, tips, etc. for packing, getting around, excursions, dining... Anything that might help us be prepared and enjoy the cruise...

Also, please no 'don't do it!' kinds of messages. I get its not ideal to cruise with an infant, but we're going and are gonna have a blast- just looking to tap this great site for help in making that happen!! Thanks! :)

Unfortunately I wont be too helpful right now since I wont be cruising until September. My daughter will be 15 months. But I will definitely be posting feedback upon returning since the information on here is less than helpful. It frustrates me even more when people post the "dont do it" comments. Completely unhelpful in my opinion. I can go to disney anytime as a passholder and I want to cruise with my family. Anyway...the family forum does have some helpful info so you should check that out :)

You've gotten lots of great practical advice. I also wanted to suggest that you visit the "family" forum on this site. There is lots of useful advice there. We are done with infants in our house ( youngest is 6) but our now 8yo was just over 18m when we cruised Hawaii. We all had a blast, nobody got sick and the pool was no big loss :D

My son knows who Mickey is! He loves him. But like you say. No way I'd take him to Disney at this age. When he's older and can decide the rides and what he wants to do is when I will take him there. Plus it is way to hot. Obviously it's hot in the bahamas but majority of the ship is air conditioned. Makes it much easier.

I agree. My daughter has known who Minnie since before she was 1. She loves Minnie, Mickey and Donald. But even at 2, she is not ready for WDW.

It wasn't a Carnival cruise, but we just returned from our daughter's first cruise this morning (Enchantment of the Seas), So I'm full of fresh advice. She is 17 months old and had SO much fun! It went even better than I could have expected.

The previous posts give good advice - bring your own supplies - lots of diapers (plenty of extras), lots of wipes, extra sippy cups, lots of sunscreen, lots of toys, books, etc.

My biggest tips:

-bring things to keep her entertained during meals. Meals ALWAYS take longer (in the dining room or buffet) than baby attention span.

-pack an extra bag to cart around the ship. Bring snacks, diapers, sippy, toys, sunscreen, books and extra diapers

-if she's walking, let her run around the ship whenever you can. She loved it and it burned off lots of energy.

-be prepared for people to have mixed reactions - people either adored her (most people, especially the crew, were amazing with her) or they looked at her like she was a ticking time bomb. Don't sweat the people who makes faces or snide comments about children. It isn't worth it, you're on vacation!

-Be flexible! You may have to leave places to avoid an impending meltdown. She made it to the MDR on all but one night of a 9 night cruise. Port days wore her out and she needed extra nap time.

-take lots of pictures. The cruise flies by, but you will always have the pictures.

Most importantly - go and have a great time!

PS: We were just in WDW in January when she was 15 months. She had a GREAT time! We were there so MH could run in the half-marathon, I wouldn't go just for kids that age, but she loved the characters, the princesses, the rides. It was exhausting and she'd conk out in her stroller, but she enjoyed it so much more than I expected!

We did the Dream last year with our granddaughter (1 at the time) and will be doing the Dream again in Aug (she will be 21 months). We had a great time. I advise going to the family board. We received lots of info there. We also took a little blow up pool with us (like $4 at Target). Just enough water to get wet and splash around. We did this on our balcony as well as deck 5. She loved it. She ate in the MDR with us every night. The wait staff loved her. Bring a compact stroller which makes it easier to lug around in ports. We had several family members (aunts, uncles, grand parents, parents) that were able to help out as well. Enjoy your cruise.

I have no advice (yet)... we're traveling in May with our 9month old so I'll come back and post up any tips & tricks I learn :)

Pre-cruise, here's what I'm planning/thinking about:

- where she will sleep (we reserved a carnival crib)

- crib sheets (we'll bring one)

- logistics of traveling with baby/stroller/seat,

- how many diapers/wipes/formula/food items, etc that we need

- what we plan to do in ports

- how we will get from point A to B (bus, taxi, etc)

- what other baby items we need to bring (i.e. take n toss spoons, placemats, food, pacifiers, toys etc.)

- packing strategy - how will we pack it all

etc etc

Thank you to all for your helpful information (yes, I'm ignoring the Negative Nellies).

I wasn't even aware of the family board. I'm definately surfing that way and checking it out.

We leave May4 on Dream with our 2yr old! We're pretty excited. This baby girl has grown up in Mickey's backyard, so we've been to Disney 3 times. We had gone to Magic Kingdom last month, and again just Saturday---and she was in awe both times. Even the rides she couldn't go on, she giggled watching them.

We're getting our bags packed and I'm so grateful for these tips. Another item I hadn't seen mentioned...we had purchased a backpack/leash for her. Yeah, I know---she's not a dog, don't put her on a leash. But she loves it. She has a few of her toys to carry in the backpack, and we rarely have the line extended, as she's very good about holding hands. She knows the distance she can go though, and will try it out---as every toddler will ;).

Still debating on taking the pack-n-play. At hotels, she would sleep in it, but the last few trips, she's pretty much in our bed--so we can both sleep.

Can't wait for some of these reviews!

We did the Dream last year with our granddaughter (1 at the time) and will be doing the Dream again in Aug (she will be 21 months). We had a great time. I advise going to the family board. We received lots of info there. We also took a little blow up pool with us (like $4 at Target). Just enough water to get wet and splash around. We did this on our balcony as well as deck 5. She loved it. She ate in the MDR with us every night. The wait staff loved her. Bring a compact stroller which makes it easier to lug around in ports. We had several family members (aunts, uncles, grand parents, parents) that were able to help out as well. Enjoy your cruise.

I have to ask, how on earth did you manage to empty the baby pool when it was on the balcony without pouring the water all over the balconies below you?

I have to ask, how on earth did you manage to empty the baby pool when it was on the balcony without pouring the water all over the balconies below you?

Yes and how on earth did you blow the thing up? I know for a fact that I will not be able to blow it up using the air in my lungs. :confused:

Almost every balcony has a drain and the pool is very small. You think we just dump it over the side??? There are showers on deck 5 with drains as well.

Archived