Review - w/ pictures - Navigator OTS - March 2 to 9, 2013

Friday, March 8, 2013 – Day at Sea

Once again I am up in time for a sunrise photo (but only by a few minutes). I look outside and realized that there are clouds on the horizon, so I don’t bother dressing to go out on deck (my balcony faces west during the trip back to New Orleans).

However, I did shower, dress and eat breakfast in time to join the group’s golf tournament on deck thirteen. Then back to the cabin to drop off a few things. I’ve been out of the cabin for ninety minutes but the cabin steward has not arrived yet. Fortunately I want to look at yesterday’s formal photographs and get my DVD and CD. When I got to the photo area I saw a sign that because of the Louisiana tax, the photo shop will close at 8:30pm tonight. The captain said that we would pick up the pilot at 10pm and would pick up the river pilot when we enter the Mississippi River at midnight. When I return to the cabin with four more photographs the cabin steward was just finishing up.

It is time to start organizing my packing. I don’t have a scale with me and I was up to 43 pounds when I flew to New Orleans. I am leaving my old dress shoes, so that will save a few pounds and I put some of the heavier things I have purchased in my carry-ons. I also check out the debarkation video, upload some photographs, work on this a bit and watch a movie. Soon it is time for the garbage pail party. It is simply a final get together where everyone brings their left over drinks (thus the name). These are a great bunch of people and I am glad I had a chance to meet them all.

Back at the cabin I upload my new photos, work on this and checkout the sunset from my balcony. Finally, no clouds on the horizon. However, there were some very low clouds overhead, which kept it from being perfect. Still, it was the best sunset of the week.

Well, here we are on the last full day and I realize that I have not really described my cabin. I am in a junior suit on the “hump”. I am not in the center of the hump because I wanted a forward facing cabin. So I am in the cabin next to the center, which faces slightly forward. Inside the cabin there is a couch and a stuffed chair with a matching ottoman. In addition there is a small glass table. Otherwise it is a wider balcony cabin with a tub shower and a walk-in closet. It is probably about three feet winder than a normal balcony cabin. There is a post between the sliding door and a smaller floor to ceiling window which would provide a perfect hiding place for a three year old. It is a very nice cabin that would be roomy enough for three or four people (even though this cabin only holds two).

I fill out the survey and the custom’s form. Waiting for the time to go to dinner my room steward knocks on the door. Doesn’t he know I have late dining by now? Also, I have used the make up my room card every single time. So why is the room steward knocking on my door before 8pm?

Well, dinner was bitter sweat. Dinner was good as usual for this cruise, but I ended up saying good-bye to new friends, both the group and the waiter. For the first time a group cruise I was on when off with no problems. Two group cruises ago our leader suddenly disappeared (really, no one in the group knew where he was or how to contact him). If that wasn’t bad enough, the last group cruise I was on, the leader died before the cruise. This was a good group cruise and I’m glad I had the chance to meet everybody. That said, the cruise was really good - one of my favorites. It certainly made up for a much weaker cruise experience on my last cruise. We left one day late and thus only went to one port instead of two. It wasn’t a bad cruise, but it sure did not match the enjoyment of this cruise. I would like to cruise out of New Orleans again in the summer when I will be able to see more of the Mississippi River. Also, I sure would not mind cruising out of New Orleans again. This is one of the more interesting cities to visit and cruise out of.

After dinner I went back to the cabin, changed my clothes and put my luggage out to be picked up. I noticed it was 10pm so I looked outside and it did appear that we had slowed down. I checked the TV and sure enough we had slowed down. I went back outside just in time to see the pilot boat take off. I’ll try to stay awake long enough to see us enter the Mississippi River.

I must also say that our captain was a great person. I assume all captains know what they are doing and do it well. But a captain with a personality like Claus Andersen (our captain) can add to the cruise experience, and he did in a very positive way.

zmTFIV_zps2bf6e153.jpg

zmTFV_zps13739330.jpg

zmTFVI_zps7e3b6e7a.jpg

zqHellI_zpsbd567eba.jpg

zqHellII_zpsb073fdbf.jpg

zqHellIII_zps383688ae.jpg

Saturday, March 9, 2013

As promised by the captain, we dock at 6am. The Carnival Elation docks in front of us at 7am. I shower and dress and head out for a quick breakfast consisting of a banana and orange juice. Then back to the cabin and over to the Schooner Bar which is the meeting place for those of us taking the City Tour to the airport. Given that there were five busloads of people on this tour, the Schooner Bar was a poor choice for a meeting place. The Ixtapa Lounge, which is right next door, would have been a much better choice.

Departure numbers seven and eight were for the shore excursion people. When it came time to debark they called numbers one through twelve. Instantly the situation when from controlled to messy, as one third of the ship suddenly tries to debark at the same time. Why give out numbers if you are going to send more than one thousand people on their way all at the same time? Since we were right next to the exit door we were in the front of the instantly long line.

I took this tour not so much because it was interesting, but rather because it would chew up a few hours of time and get me to the airport for half the price of a rental car for the day. Thanks to the traffic I barely made it with seven hours to spare. I spent the first three and half hours inside the airport pre-check in on a nice comfortable couch going through my pictures because I don’t think you can check in more than four hours early. Besides since New Orleans was kind enough to supply such a comfortable place to relax, I thought it would rude not to take advantage of it.

From where I was sitting I had a clear view of the check in line and thus was able to go check in when the line was very short, like no waiting at all. The security line was less than five minutes and I found a restaurant to sit down and enjoy an early dinner.

Originally I was on a 3:45pm flight that went to San Francisco and then I would change planes to get to LAX. However, United cancelled that flight and this one became available. It leaves four hours later, but I only arrive home one hour later because this is a non-stop. I wonder how we exit the plane if it doesn’t stop? Do they fly low and just push us out the door? What about the luggage? Well I guess I’ll find out soon enough. At any rate I decide to check on the status of my plane. It is on time, but it is coming from Houston. I realize it will not take seven hours from Houston, but United is kind enough to provide the flight number, so I can check on its status. The plane left San Francisco a few minutes early and is heading to Houston, so it is looking good.

So now I am inside the secure area at a restaurant. This time my right leg (and the rest of my body), made it through the security check point without any problems. I decided to try the short ribs (and they sure are short). It comes with some small cut up potatoes and other equally small purple things. I pass on the potatoes and purple things. While waiting for my meal to arrive I decide to check on the status of my flight again. Now it is a half hour late. What happened? I check the status and it is still a flight from Houston, but now it is coming from Mexico, not San Francisco and is arriving in Houston seventy minutes late. Oh well, better to have this happen on the inbound flight than on the outbound flight (which was on time).

The ribs and pretzel (which I picked up on the way to the restaurant) were okay. But the tax rate of $2.25 for a $19.60 meal works out to 11.5% (about three percentage points more than I pay in Los Angeles). Well, since I am done with my meal and it is not fair to continue to take up a table, I decide to head over to gate. I hope I can make it in time (the plane hasn’t left Houston yet).

Well I’m at the gate now and there is a very long line. Why, because the plane to Washington DC is running fifteen minutes late. Why then do half the people need to make other arrangements? Fifteen minutes is no big deal. Meanwhile my plane has not landed in Houston yet.

Well, it is 6:15pm and the plane just landed in Houston. Someone just made an announcement that the plane will be more than thirty minutes late. If we cannot make our connection in Los Angeles, United will pay for a hotel for the night. I’m only worried about a share the ride van. Hopefully they keep track of the flights and know that the flight is running late. Well, back to proof reading, though I usually only catch about 80% of the errors because it is very hard to proof read your own writing.

It is 7:35pm and the plane is on the ground here in New Orleans. Per the schedule we should have taken off two minutes ago. So far I have proof read half of this review (which is over eleven thousand words and 22 single spaced type written pages). So I’ll be back at you after I get home.

The flight home was uneventful. The movie was Skyfall, which is the latest James Bond flick. After the move I finished proof reading this. I hope I caught all the errors, but most likely I didn't. At any rate we landed about thirty minutes behind schedule. I get my checked bag and have to wait about fifteen minutes for the van to show up. One more lap around LAX with no new customers we are off. There are only two of us and I am the second one dropped off. I made it home around midnight.

In summary this was a very enjoyable and much needed vacation. It is simply one person's account of one cruise. Soon the Navigator of the Seas will head back to Europe. It will be replaced by the Serenade of the Seas, which is a different class of ship (the Radiance class which is about two thirds the size of the Navigator OTS). I enjoy writing the review and taking the pictures. Hopefully someone will find something useful and/or helpful in this review. So, until my next cruise, good-by and good night.

zrIMG_0651_zps6aa63950.jpg

zrIMG_0652_zpsbbdaee8b.jpg

zrIMG_0660_zps23f14d15.jpg

zrIMG_0676_zpsce304861.jpg

zrIMG_0677_zps1aff9b85.jpg

zrIMG_0679_zps10750586.jpg

zrIMG_0693_zps8d239cb6.jpg

zrIMG_0704_zpsc51b2148.jpg

zrIMG_0736_zps33dc9595.jpg

zrIMG_0746_zpsdb4b460e.jpg

zrIMG_0749_zps596cffb9.jpg

zrIMG_0761_zpsff100cfd.jpg

And here are a dozen short videos ...

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_5762_zpscfb2c20a.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_5760_zps1475e22a.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_5761_zpseed3c767.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_7045_zpsa9a28020.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_6993_zps4520e090.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_6179_zps2a193a9f.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_7139_zps7ed905a3.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_7061_zps1590d80d.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_7361_zps493d2873.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/MVI_0768_zps61edbf68.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_6406_zps9645528a.mp4.html

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/ZefH/media/RC%20Navigator%20OTS%202/NO%20and%20Nav%20videos/DSC_6465_zps374614d7.mp4.html

Great review! Tons of pictures!

Looks like we were on the ship the week after you were.

Take a look at my review HERE and let me know what you think!

Thanks!

You have to be careful when stitching or merging together several photographs of an object that is close to the camera, because when done you end up with something that looks like it is curved when it is really straight.

Your review looks good. That said, it appears you write your review by subject matter (food, entertainment, ports) while I write mine chronologically. Neither method is better than the other (both have advantages and disadvantages).

I want to apologize for the small font. :o When posting I have to go back and add the spaces between the paragraphs. What I did not realize until the end was that something was happening to make the font smaller. In the future I'll have to both add spaces and increase the font size.

Thanks so much for your review!!! We are going on Explorer so it was interesting to see all the Navigator pics since it's the same class of ship. I think it would a lot of fun to cruise down the Mississippi.

Your pictures were beautiful! I just got a Nikon D5100 and am taking classes so I can do it justice. I hope to be able to get ones as nice as yours some day:)

Really loved your manatee pictures - I am a huge fan of manatees. What gentle giants. I had never heard of a swim with the manatees tour so if we get to Cozumel someday, I know I will have to book it.

It was also interesting to see the gator park where my hubbys favorite James Bond took place. Had no idea that the place was there.

Great review with great photos!

Saw myself on few pool deck photos.

Still working with my photos from this cruise, I am now in day 2 of 7.

What a coincidence - I'm in a couple of the pictures myself. :D Usually I am on the other side of the camera.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the thorough review, and the wonderful photos! We just booked this cruise for March of next year - same ship, same ports, but leaving from Galveston instead of New Orleans ... can't wait!

Again, great job with the review -

Great review so far, thanks! Do you know if Navigator has been to dry dock to be revitalized the way Mariner was? We are considering doing the TA on Navigator next year so I'm enjoying your review.

Jo

Don't wait to book a TA on Navigator next year because starting this Nov when we sail her back into Galveston, she will remain here year round. We, too, were waiting to book this next year but found such a great deal to bring her back this year that we couldn't resist.

Cruizer2, I appreciate all the beautiful pictures of the ship. Can't wait to share them with my cruisemates.

Archived