Letter from GoCCL to Travel Agents regarding price drops and upgrades

Spudder

The story we got, and in my opinion is not how the letter reads, ES will get upgrades and/or OBC.

Past guests can get upgrades but no OBC, if past full payment.

We are sailing in 4 weeks and upgrades were downgrades in our opinion so we did not take them.

We ended up with nothing but a great cruise to look forward too..:D

So, finally got a reply from TA this morning saying there was nothing available but she would try her best to get me something....:rolleyes:

Given the comments on here about TA's not always doing what they should I thought I'd chance my arm and call Carnival.co.uk to see why the UK site prices never change (even with sales) but the US site prices fluctuate and a substantial number of people on here have got either upgrades or OBC.....was told by Carnival that I'd need to go through my TA and they couldn't discuss with me :confused:

Think i'm screwed either way.....no upgrade or OBC for me....still looking forward to my cruise but a wee bonus would have been nice :)

ok, I sail in 2 weeks and price difference is $400 for the cabin for 2 people. TA got me a 2 cat upgrade, not much for a $400 difference. She said they also tried to give her some cabins she didn't think were very good. I am not even sure the one she got is good. How is the empress deck midship on the Fantasy class ships? I am thinking not so good under the midship dining room. I booked while on a cruise, not sure I will do that again. I think $400 is a big difference and deserved some OBC.

We loved the empress deck on Fantasy, we did hear a few rolling carts but it didn't bother us at all, but think we were closer to being at the edge (i.e., front door/waiting area) of the dining room above not directly under it.

Our TA e-mailed us on Monday that she got us an upgrade from 8C to 8G and a $960 price drop during the preview day.

Other friends going on the Triumph got upgraded from 6B OV to 8E Balcony for their cruise in July. They use the same TA.

We never have to ask for the price drop. Whenever a promo comes out she fights for us to get it. We booked before the Triumph disaster at a Past Guest Rate at our TA's suggestion. She said it is easier for her to change the rate code in the TA booking engine or just cancel and rebook rather than fill out the ES form and wait for CCL to respond, as long as we understood we would get nothing after final payment. Even then, up to a certain point we can convert the Past Guest to an ES rate if we want and then get the OBC after final payment. The $960 was the second upgrade and price drop she got for us since the Triumph debacle. We previously went from an a 6C to an 8C and got a $200 reduction. Our final is not due until late May.

I don't think it's fair that Carnival is rewarding people who book lower cabins but not ones who book higher level cabins. If you book a higher level cabin they're probably going to get more money out of you on the cruise. I feel like we aren't getting any reward because we booked a higher level cabin. There is no where to upgrade us to on our ship from the 8D. Many people are paying comparatively much less than us. If someone booked our cabin yesterday they would have paid $90 less than us and we booked right around the Triumph problem. So much for rewarding loyalty.

I don't think it's fair that Carnival is rewarding people who book lower cabins but not ones who book higher level cabins. If you book a higher level cabin they're probably going to get more money out of you on the cruise. I feel like we aren't getting any reward because we booked a higher level cabin. There is no where to upgrade us to on our ship from the 8D. Many people are paying comparatively much less than us. If someone booked our cabin yesterday they would have paid $90 less than us and we booked right around the Triumph problem. So much for rewarding loyalty.

I agree with you. We are paying almost $4800 for 2 cabins to cruise the week of Thanksgiving with Carnival. We are past guests and we are not getting anything with being "Loyal Past Guests" because our PVP said we are cruising too far out - it is only 8 months away. How many have cruises booked for 2014 already? I think the letter was BS!! We wouldn't have wanted an upgrade we are 8C but OBC would be nice!:D

I agree with you. We are paying almost $4800 for 2 cabins to cruise the week of Thanksgiving with Carnival. We are past guests and we are not getting anything with being "Loyal Past Guests" because our PVP said we are cruising too far out - it is only 8 months away. How many have cruises booked for 2014 already? I think the letter was BS!! We wouldn't have wanted an upgrade we are 8C but OBC would be nice!:D

I have 2014 booked.

So, finally got a reply from TA this morning saying there was nothing available but she would try her best to get me something....:rolleyes:

Given the comments on here about TA's not always doing what they should I thought I'd chance my arm and call Carnival.co.uk to see why the UK site prices never change (even with sales) but the US site prices fluctuate and a substantial number of people on here have got either upgrades or OBC.....was told by Carnival that I'd need to go through my TA and they couldn't discuss with me :confused:

Think i'm screwed either way.....no upgrade or OBC for me....still looking forward to my cruise but a wee bonus would have been nice :)

I have written to Carnival USA to complain, at least it gets it off my chest. Next I will book myself with Carnival US directly.;). My TA has been fitting with Carnival UK all week over this. I even have an email from the US which says I can change rates, which has now been sent to Carnival UK. We will see what happens. Wish I could cancel, but it would cost me £500 which is what the saving adds up to.

Just a little patience. Rumor has it that Carnival will launch another big sale next week that goes beyond August.

I'm one keeping my fingers crossed...

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/News%20and%20%20Updates/PastGuestAppreciationUpgrades.ashx

Saw this on GoCCl and thought I would let everyone know....worth asking for.

Dear Travel Agents,

During the last couple of months since the Carnival Triumph fire, we’ve received an enormous show of support from our Past Guests. So many of them have called, emailed, Tweeted and posted on Facebook to demonstrate their confidence in Carnival. This has meant a lot to us and as a gesture of appreciation, we will be extending complimentary upgrades to them in the event a lower price becomes available after they book.

Please feel free to contact us if your client is a Past Guest and there is a rate adjustment on the category they purchased.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Thanks for sharing this information.

It occurs to me that Carnival may be adding to the problem by promising something that they are going to have trouble delivering due to customers not being able to get through. That could just add to the tarnished image. I have been waiting to hear back from my PVP for almost a week, and she is usually very prompt in responding to my emails. I think they are just overwhelmed right now.

I've been on hold quite some time but worried I may be wasting my time

Online rates show rates starting at 354 but when I follow through w clicking on it and go fwd w mock booking the rate is then 479

I don't know why it keeps showing cheaper rates but when I select them the rate is much higher?

the reason is when you look at the rate of 354, it is not including govt fees and taxes. When you follow through they are added.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/News%20and%20%20Updates/PastGuestAppreciationUpgrades.ashx

Saw this on GoCCl and thought I would let everyone know....worth asking for.

Dear Travel Agents,

During the last couple of months since the Carnival Triumph fire, we’ve received an enormous show of support from our Past Guests. So many of them have called, emailed, Tweeted and posted on Facebook to demonstrate their confidence in Carnival. This has meant a lot to us and as a gesture of appreciation, we will be extending complimentary upgrades to them in the event a lower price becomes available after they book.

Please feel free to contact us if your client is a Past Guest and there is a rate adjustment on the category they purchased.

Sincerely,

Carnival Cruise Lines

Thanks, for sharing.

Does this apply to any rate code? I have Easy Saver booked. My TA said I would have to cancel and rebook. Then my deposit would be on hold for a future cruise and I have to apply new deposit.

The difference in my fare is $470 from what I booked.

Maggie

Your travel agent either knows nothing or is trying to pocket the extra money. That is the whole purpose of booking early saver. You need to be firm and tell them you have this coming and want it done or you will call carnival. you are being ripped off. First make sure it is a rate you qualify for like past guest or resident rate then complain till you get it. I book with a pvp from carnival and its no problem

We learned a long time ago that TAs in addition to the terms that any cruise line may have also in general have to follow their corporate policies when it comes to making changes or issuing OBC. Some may charge additional fees to make changes to your original booking even if the cruise line has a policy in place that the changes are at no fee from them. Sometimes these TA change fees combined with increases in port taxes are enough to negate the price drop. Our long time TA (just retired) was the manager for that agency's particular location and able to waiver or work around the change fees the TA company imposed (even on those that booked Early Saver) when price reductions were noticed.

With Carnival almost everyone knows that those booked under the Early Saver you can submit a price reduction form to either reduce their final payment, or receive OBC or an upgrade if already paid in full. But did you know that those that did not book Early Saver but did book under a no fee for changes rate, like Past Guest, can try to upgrade to the next cabin category if the price reduction is significant enough. You can even upgrade if the price reduction doesn't cover the entire amount and are willing to pay the new difference immediately.

Our recent story:

Even though we booked Past Guest & are well past finial payment (since we will be sailing in 25 days) we were not eligible for a price reduction as OBC for this cruise. I did not lament when I saw that our particular itinerary had a really large decrease in price this week. I simply called our PVP (previously we would of called our trusted TA) and he was more than willing to upgrade the 2 of us. We could of gone to a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony from our current balcony at no additional cost of us but we choose to try something else instead. We went from an 8F Balcony to an Ocean Suite OS for very little (about $275 more mostly due to port taxes doubling since we booked).

Anyone had any luck today that didn't book early saver? I booked Florida rate but past guest sale is $160 lower than what we payed today but no upgrades like oceanview or balcony are available online so I don't think I can upgrade.

Hope it works for me!

I booked past guest and my final payment due date had passed. I called TWICE and got the same story. No upgrade or OBC for me. However, I completed the form on the website that states the price drop in the fare and recevied an email two days later that I got a $178.00 OBC.

COMPLETE THE FORM FOR THE PRICE DROP. Worth a try!

We learned a long time ago that TAs in addition to the terms that any cruise line may have also in general have to follow their corporate policies when it comes to making changes or issuing OBC. Some may charge additional fees to make changes to your original booking even if the cruise line has a policy in place that the changes are at no fee from them. Sometimes these TA change fees combined with increases in port taxes are enough to negate the price drop. Our long time TA (just retired) was the manager for that agency's particular location and able to waiver or work around the change fees the TA company imposed (even on those that booked Early Saver) when price reductions were noticed.

With Carnival almost everyone knows that those booked under the Early Saver you can submit a price reduction form to either reduce their final payment, or receive OBC or an upgrade if already paid in full. But did you know that those that did not book Early Saver but did book under a no fee for changes rate, like Past Guest, can try to upgrade to the next cabin category if the price reduction is significant enough. You can even upgrade if the price reduction doesn't cover the entire amount and are willing to pay the new difference immediately.

Our recent story:

Even though we booked Past Guest & are well past finial payment (since we will be sailing in 25 days) we were not eligible for a price reduction as OBC for this cruise. I did not lament when I saw that our particular itinerary had a really large decrease in price this week. I simply called our PVP (previously we would of called our trusted TA) and he was more than willing to upgrade the 2 of us. We could of gone to a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony from our current balcony at no additional cost of us but we choose to try something else instead. We went from an 8F Balcony to an Ocean Suite OS for very little (about $275 more mostly due to port taxes doubling since we booked).

I just wanted to make you aware that the only reason you were able to upgrade was because of a special deal that is going on now for Carnival Past Guests. Once Carnival has decided to rescind that offer, there will not be any upgrades or OBC after final payment, unless you have booked Early Saver.

I just didn't wanted people to realize that this is a short-lived "benefit" to past guests and not Carnival's policy.

Wednesday night, called travel agent she waited on hold with carnival for about 30 minutes, after working out an awsome upgrade she called us to let us know. We went from deck 2 OV room to deck 10 balcony room on the Liberty, :) we are very pleased with this. My one question I have she told us we don't get OBC, so now that the current room is cheaper than the one we had and they changed that on our documents where did the difference go? Can you see if you have OBC in your documents or online?

We were booked past guest and well after final payment.

Wednesday night, called travel agent she waited on hold with carnival for about 30 minutes, after working out an awsome upgrade she called us to let us know. We went from deck 2 OV room to deck 10 balcony room on the Liberty, :) we are very pleased with this. My one question I have she told us we don't get OBC, so now that the current room is cheaper than the one we had and they changed that on our documents where did the difference go? Can you see if you have OBC in your documents or online?

We were booked past guest and well after final payment.

If you booked past guest, you will not get any OBC, just the upgrade (which is wonderful, but the way). If there were OBC, you would be able to see it on pg 5 (I believe) of your documents.

I booked past guest and my final payment due date had passed. I called TWICE and got the same story. No upgrade or OBC for me. However, I completed the form on the website that states the price drop in the fare and recevied an email two days later that I got a $178.00 OBC.

COMPLETE THE FORM FOR THE PRICE DROP. Worth a try!

Were you early saver? Did they have a room that they could upgrade you to? I was transferred to a supervisor and they wouldn't give me OBC because they wanted to upgrade us instead. I declined because I want to keep my room and they said they weren't giving any OBC.

I was able to upgrade twice over this past week at no additional charge other than the time waiting on hold LOL. The first time from a Cove Balcony to a balcony on deck 8. Not much of an upgrade there but the 2nd time we went to a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony on deck 11. We are so excited! We were booked as a past guest and past the final pay.

Archived