Transportation from Newark to Carnival cruise terminal

naylenk

Hi

In less than 2 weeks, on Easter Sunday, 3 of us will be flying into the Newark airport at around 11:00 in the morning and we need to make our way down to the cruise port. We have never been to New York and need advice on the best way to get there. Thanks very much in advance!

There are three basic choices:

(1) Booking a car service to take you directly from your airline terminal to the port. Using a major car service such as Dial 7 , http://www.dial7.com this should cost about $50 (for the car, not per person) plus tolls of about $15, and tip (20% of the fare...$10 in this case, is about right)...total cost about $75. This is the most comfortable and convenient way to go.

(2) Taking the AirTrain from your airline terminal to the Newark Liberty International Airport station of the NJ Transit/Amtrak Northeast Corridor line, boarding a NJ transit train that will take you to New York Penn Station, and then taking a taxi from there to the cruise terminal. The railroad ticket will be $12.50 per person including the AirTrain surcharge, and taxi fare from NY Penn Station to the cruise terminal should be about $12 plus tip.

(3) Taking the Olympia Trails/Coach USA airport bus, http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp , from your airline terminal to Port Authority Bus Terminal in NY City. Cost is $16 per person. From there take a taxi to the port, cost about $10 plus tip.

Option (1) is the most expensive and most convenient (least amount of luggage handling for you and no changes of transportation mode). Option (2) is the least expensive and most inconvenient, requiring the most luggage handling on your part and three different transportation modes. Option (3) lies in between the others in both cost and convenience.

It looks like you are flying in the day of the cruise. What time does your ship sail? You have to be there at least 90 minutes before the sail time, so that doesn't leave you much wiggle room if the flight is delayed in any way. I'd spend the money and book a car service to whisk me directly into NY to the pier.

Thanks for the replies. I think booking a car service will work the best for us. Where is the cruise terminal? I was looking at dial7 and you have to choose a destination but when I was looking at the choices, I was unsure what to pick. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I think booking a car service will work the best for us. Where is the cruise terminal? I was looking at dial7 and you have to choose a destination but when I was looking at the choices, I was unsure what to pick. Thanks!

Instead of putting in the street address, you can click on "landmark" just to the right of the address box, and then start typing "Cruise Terminal Manhattan" . By the time you've typed the first two or three letters you'll see "Cruise Terminal Manhattan" pop up as one of the choices. Just click on it.

What does your cruise documents from Carnival say what time to be at the ship. The usual advice from this message board is to book a flight a day before your cruise and get a hotel close-bye the cruise terminal. You can't predict if there will be a flight delay due to weather or a flight cancelation. Your airline will not guarantee you what time they get you to a destination only that they get you there. A couple of hours between your plane landing and when you must be on board is not much insurance against your ship leaving without you.

Archived