2014 Rhine River

Novice2cruise

Hey ya'll......I'm going to jump in as we are planning our first river cruise and would like some helpful info!

I also like the idea of getting a cabin on the 'river' side of the boat! What a great idea....I'd have never thought of that! BUT (silly question) do they sail on the right or left? Are the piers on the north side or the south (if the river flows east and west)???

Anyway.....I appreciate any helpful hints or suggestions anyone wants to pass along!

When we did the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel, the docks were on the south side. Many times we were "docked" onto another boat or two and would have to walk through them to get to ours. Other times we were lined up in a row at the docks. Always very interesting to see the lobbies of these other river boat lines.

I will have to say that I agree with your husband about the balcony/window. I always enjoyed looking out our cabin first thing in the morning knowing how to dress for the day, seeing my first look at the area, even when I wanted a rest in the afternoon. It was particularly fun when we went through the locks and I could open our French balcony and touch the sides of some of these very narrow locks.

Hello river cruisers.

This will be my first river cruise after several years on the big ships. I am so looking forward to doing the cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in July 2014. I am travelling by myself and as I enjoy meeting people I chose this company because it is only 118 passengers. Can anyone tell me more about the cruise line from personal experience? Any MUST SEE places while on this trip outside of the tours offered through Tauck. Perhaps you could recommend one place or one thing i should try/eat/do that I should not miss. I want this trip to be the pinnacle of my travel experiences and with your help I wll make it so!

From previous postings it does not seem to matter if you are on port or starboard side. I am on the port side going Northwest and assume I will get the afternoon sun and sunsets from cabin. Would that make the cabin too hot so I would have to close my curtains?

Enough questions, I know no matter what I do it will be loads of fun and a trip to remember.

ok, it's official, we're in a Cat A room (I caved!!) BUT, the good part is that we're going on a river cruise!! YAY! :D

We did an OAT tour of the Greek Islands for my 50th and we spent most of our time on the 'deck' of the boat (was a three-master schooner so the deck was a small open area at the back of the boat). We met the most wonderful folk on that trip and have fond memories. I doubt we'll spend much time int eh room, but DH wants to lay in bed in the mornings looking out the window saying (his words exactly) "gee, I wonder what the poor schmucks at home are doing now??":eek:

I was surprised to see that Avalon offers an alcohol package - not too much - but if they offer beer/wine/soft drinks with dinner I'm not sure if we'd have time to drink much else!!

It is WAY too early to get too psyched about this - so many days away that I just can't count that high, but it will get here! I'm a bit of an OCD trip planner, but I'm trying to hold myself back on this trip.....nearly everything is planned out for us and I want to have this trip a bit of a 'surprise' for me. So for now, research is on hold and I'm just gonna 'do it'! (anyone wanna take bets as to whether I can do that or not?!?!? :p)

• 1 year later...
We have all but finalized our cruise on the Avalon Visionary going from Basel to Amsterdam leaving on 5/3/14. There will be 8 of us. We want to have sliding glass windows. Any thoughts on Category A vs. B rooms? The ship is new so I don't expect much engine or thruster noise, but I don't know. We are leaning toward the B rooms, as close to mid-ships as possible.

Thanks.

Hi Novice2cruise!! I am so excited!!! For weeks have tried everything to find someone on our cruise and there you are!! This will be our first river cruise as well, so we are trying to absorb as much information as we can these last few weeks. Are you getting excited?

:DLinda

ok, it's official, we're in a Cat A room (I caved!!) BUT, the good part is that we're going on a river cruise!! YAY! :D

We did an OAT tour of the Greek Islands for my 50th and we spent most of our time on the 'deck' of the boat (was a three-master schooner so the deck was a small open area at the back of the boat). We met the most wonderful folk on that trip and have fond memories. I doubt we'll spend much time int eh room, but DH wants to lay in bed in the mornings looking out the window saying (his words exactly) "gee, I wonder what the poor schmucks at home are doing now??":eek:

I was surprised to see that Avalon offers an alcohol package - not too much - but if they offer beer/wine/soft drinks with dinner I'm not sure if we'd have time to drink much else!!

It is WAY too early to get too psyched about this - so many days away that I just can't count that high, but it will get here! I'm a bit of an OCD trip planner, but I'm trying to hold myself back on this trip.....nearly everything is planned out for us and I want to have this trip a bit of a 'surprise' for me. So for now, research is on hold and I'm just gonna 'do it'! (anyone wanna take bets as to whether I can do that or not?!?!? :p)

You are going to love River Cruising! But please remember that River Cruising is nothing like ocean cruising. Totally different animal.

We sailed Avalon last summer, and you really don't need the drink package. They pour the wine very liberally at dinner.:) Usually after lunch we were out and about on another tour, or wandering the town. There really are no "sea days" on a RC. And if you really want to feel a buzz all day just pour yourself a couple of glasses of the free sparkling wine at breakfast.;):D