How is the Mandara Spa on the GEM?

70SS350

Hello everyone! Cruising on the GEM in July. Anyone highly recommend it. Or have any had good/bad experience at the spa. The wife looks forward to the spa, would like to know if it is worth it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to CC! You've definitely found the right place to find answers to all your questions. :)

Regarding the spa, are you asking about the spa treatments, or are you looking for opinions on the spa pass which allows use of the other spa facilities?

I can't help with the spa pass, as I've never purchased one, but I always book spa treatments when I cruise. I find the staff to be very well trained and experienced, and have never had a treatment I didn't feel was well worth the cost. Last week on the Jewel I actually experienced the most amazing massage I have ever had, because the technician was THAT GOOD! I walked into the spa in pain, and walked out feeling like a new woman. :)

I do find it helpful to write on my intake survey "I'm here to relax, no sales pitch please." Otherwise, after the treatment you will receive a strong pitch to purchase products. ;)

Happy sailing!!!

Glad I could be of help.

If she's really into total relaxation, try to get her to book the Elemis Seaweed and Massage service. The first tow parts of the treatment take place in a float bed, and the final piece is on a standard massage table. Absolutely the ultimate in relaxation as well as skin hydration. She will LOVE IT!!! :D

The spa pass is great!!!

They only sell X amount, I think its under a 100???. Great place to go to chill out and get away from the crowds, I've never seen anymore than 8 people in there at one time

I am NOT a spa person and do not ever go for any spa treatments. However, Gem's spa is HEAVENLY and it is the only ship where I have ever purchased a week long spa pass. Worth double what I paid!! Even without treatments, just to go every day for the relaxation, pamper yourself time was such a treat.

We purchased our pass in the terminal while waiting to board. You won't regret it!

I had a foot and scalp massage on the Gem and it was lovely. The atmosphere is such that I could feel myself relaxing just by walking in the space.

Treatments are pricey. There will be discounts for treatments on port days. I was surprised to see they offer medical-spa procedures too --- botox? juviderm? Not sure exactly but it was definitely the first time there was an M.D. link to the spa that I can recall.

I liked the spa on the Gem - didn't get treatments but enjoyed the thermal loungers. My biggest complaint is it is loud - very loud - from the jets in the hydrotherapy pool. I didn't find it peaceful and relaxing. I don't think I'd buy a spa pass again - I'd rather spend the money on a treatment instead.

If they had a quiet room with the thermal loungers, I'd be all in.

We had the spa pass the last time we were on the Gem. There were 900 kids during the week of Thanksgiving! The ship was overwhelmed by kids. The spa was what saved our cruise from being a total disaster. Especially since it was too cold to sit on deck the first 2 days and last 2 days. We got it the first night on the ship. How did you get it before boarding? That sounds like a great idea to me.

How did you get it before boarding? That sounds like a great idea to me.

Both times we sailed out of NYC on the Gem they had a small both set up in the boarding area. Right next to where they take photo's of you. The tiled loungers are great, to look at them you would think their would be no way they would be comfortable...........was I wrong.

I am NOT a spa person and do not ever go for any spa treatments. However, Gem's spa is HEAVENLY and it is the only ship where I have ever purchased a week long spa pass. Worth double what I paid!! Even without treatments, just to go every day for the relaxation, pamper yourself time was such a treat.

We purchased our pass in the terminal while waiting to board. You won't regret it!

Can you please tell me what makes this Spa so wonderful if I do not want to have any treatments. Is there an area I can be with my DH or is everything separated male/female. Is there a pool? If so what is the access to it, ladders or steps into the pool. Do they supply juice and/or flavored waters? Please tell me all about it. Thankl you.

Can you please tell me what makes this Spa so wonderful if I do not want to have any treatments. Is there an area I can be with my DH or is everything separated male/female. Is there a pool? If so what is the access to it, ladders or steps into the pool. Do they supply juice and/or flavored waters? Please tell me all about it. Thankl you.

there are separate male/female areas that have small Jacuzzis in them. There's a large hydrotherapy pool - there's a ladder to get in, I'm not sure if there are large steps too. I can't recall. There was an area where they had a large urn full of cold water and cups - I don't recall seeing flavored water.

The heated loungers are near the hydrotherapy pool and they're first come/first served for all. There are also loungers to just lay down on, also unisex.

Here's a picture of the pool and loungers

spa06.JPG

As someone else said, yes, there is a large hydro pool that is for male and female. There is only a ladder to get in, no steps. You can turn on different jets and waterfall things - very nice. There is a nice jacuzzi there also that is for both male and female - much nicer than sharing with all the kids by the pool. The stone chairs are wonderful, so relaxing. You get a robe in the locker room. Yes, there is water and orange juice, I believe (some kind of juice or lemonade). There are other comfy chairs that face the windows, you can watch the ocean float by, so relaxing. I disagree that it was loud. If there was generator or engine noise, it was more like "white noise". Then in the separate areas for male and female, there are individual hot tubs, more relaxing chairs, calming music playing, some saunas/steam rooms, and regular showers.

I want to be there now! So relaxing.

:)

As someone else said, yes, there is a large hydro pool that is for male and female. There is only a ladder to get in, no steps. You can turn on different jets and waterfall things - very nice. There is a nice jacuzzi there also that is for both male and female - much nicer than sharing with all the kids by the pool. The stone chairs are wonderful, so relaxing. You get a robe in the locker room. Yes, there is water and orange juice, I believe (some kind of juice or lemonade). There are other comfy chairs that face the windows, you can watch the ocean float by, so relaxing. I disagree that it was loud. If there was generator or engine noise, it was more like "white noise". Then in the separate areas for male and female, there are individual hot tubs, more relaxing chairs, calming music playing, some saunas/steam rooms, and regular showers.

I want to be there now! So relaxing.

Unlimited use; DW and I find ourselves hitting the spa multiple times in any given day. Someties after waking and especially after a day of excursions to help us unwind/rest/relax. Many people go their to nap, read or just gaze out of the ship. Generally will be a selection of teas and juices available throughout the day. The oversized showers in the dressing areas are a plus also. Towels, robes are provided as well as a locker. Also, nothing beats jumping into the cold plunge after exiting the sauna or to help "wake up" after a rough night of partying...

This sounds fabulous - can't wait to indulge! The one thing I'm concerned about, though, is how quickly the spa passes sell out - would I need to be rushing to the spa booth on embarkation day? Or can it wait an hour or two until after we've unpacked?

This sounds fabulous - can't wait to indulge! The one thing I'm concerned about, though, is how quickly the spa passes sell out - would I need to be rushing to the spa booth on embarkation day? Or can it wait an hour or two until after we've unpacked?

You should buy it in the terminal while waiting to board.

If you wait until you are onboard, remember, you won't have your luggage for a while to unpack so you could do it then. I think it is easier and a better use of time to buy it in the terminal.

Archived