Please help. What would you do if you were me?

Last week we upgraded from an interior to an OV. The PG rate and the easy saver rate were similar if not the same. (I forgot to get a screen shot before calling my PVP) I was sure that she upgraded us under the PG rate because I had to pay $20 for the upgrade and I'm pretty sure that was the difference for the PG rate for an OV.

On Monday, I called and upgraded to a balcony under the PG rate with the new sale. At no time was I made aware that my booking showed the OV under the easy saver rate and when I upgraded to the OV I wasn't made aware or informed of the rules or restrictions of the easy saver rate so that's why I assumed she kept our booking under the past guest rate.

Last night I noticed that the balcony price dropped from $289 to $249pp for an 8D balcony so of course I was excited and sent an email to my PVP to ask for the price drop because final payment isn't until the 25th and $80 would cover all of our drinks for the 2 day cruise. She just called me and informed me that I had easy saver restrictions on my booking and couldn't have the price drop even though I told her that I didn't know I was under easy saver and the rules were never explained to me.

If you were me, would you just drop it and think of it as your fault or would you call the 800# and try to be polite and explain the situation in hopes to get the price drop due to not being informed that the PVP was switching you from PG to Easy Saver?

Last week we upgraded from an interior to an OV. The PG rate and the easy saver rate were similar if not the same. (I forgot to get a screen shot before calling my PVP) I was sure that she upgraded us under the PG rate because I had to pay $20 for the upgrade and I'm pretty sure that was the difference for the PG rate for an OV.

On Monday, I called and upgraded to a balcony under the PG rate with the new sale. At no time was I made aware that my booking showed the OV under the easy saver rate and when I upgraded to the OV I wasn't made aware or informed of the rules or restrictions of the easy saver rate so that's why I assumed she kept our booking under the past guest rate.

Last night I noticed that the balcony price dropped from $289 to $249pp for an 8D balcony so of course I was excited and sent an email to my PVP to ask for the price drop because final payment isn't until the 25th and $80 would cover all of our drinks for the 2 day cruise. She just called me and informed me that I had easy saver restrictions on my booking and couldn't have the price drop even though I told her that I didn't know I was under easy saver and the rules were never explained to me.

If you were me, would you just drop it and think of it as your fault or would you call the 800# and try to be polite and explain the situation in hopes to get the price drop due to not being informed that the PVP was switching you from PG to Easy Saver?

Are you in a 8D cabin now?

Your PVP should have told you that if you were not EARLY saver, you dont have the ability to price match and still stay PG. You would be changed to the new rate.

The other rates when you say I want this or that rate, they change you to that rate. you cant price match and keep the same rate as you originally had that I know of, except for easy saver.

You would probably have to get to at least a supervisor to over ride what your PVP had done, and not advised you that when you asked for a certain rate there were new restrictions she did not go over with you.

I would see if there was a extended aft balcony at the price you paid and ask for that, for a nice upgrade unless you really want to fight this battle and go up the chain.

The problem as I see it, is you asked for the lower rate and got it.. but you were not aware the other rate had restrictions. So you would have to convince them, had you known of the restrictions you would have not wanted the price drop after all. (you couldnt know the price would drop lower later, hindsight is always 20/20)

Your PVP should have told you that if you were not EARLY saver, you dont have the ability to price match and still stay PG. You would be changed to the new rate.

The other rates when you say I want this or that rate, they change you to that rate. you cant price match and keep the same rate as you originally had that I know of, except for easy saver.

You would probably have to get to at least a supervisor to over ride what your PVP had done, and not advised you that when you asked for a certain rate there were new restrictions she did not go over with you.

I would see if there was a extended aft balcony at the price you paid and ask for that, for a nice upgrade unless you really want to fight this battle and go up the chain.

The problem as I see it, is you asked for the lower rate and got it.. but you were not aware the other rate had restrictions. So you would have to convince them, had you known of the restrictions you would have not wanted the price drop after all. (you couldnt know the price would drop lower later, hindsight is always 20/20)

I remember that I told her that I had seen that the prices had dropped when I spoke to her on the phone about the upgrade to an OV last week. She did tell me that since we were booked as PG that we could price match up until final payment (3/25). I agreed and told her that was whole reason I booked PG was because I didn't want any restrictions.

She then upgraded the cabin, sent me a new cabin confirmation and that was that. She didn't mention anything about switching us from PG to Easy Saver or any of the restrictions that we would be under.

The worst part is that I called on Monday to inquire about pricing with the new sale and she told me that she could upgrade me to a balcony for $0 and never mentioned anything about Easy Saver or restrictions. I was calling for an upgrade to a balcony anyway, but she beat me to it when she suggested it. At no point in the last two phone calls I have had with her did she ever mention us being Easy Saver until I inquired about a price drop. I just feel cheated because I told her I didn't want a rate with restrictions each time I spoke with her.

Edited to add: Maybe I should say duped instead of cheated, but I'm still not sure that's the right word to use.

I remember that I told her that I had seen that the prices had dropped when I spoke to her on the phone about the upgrade to an OV last week. She did tell me that since we were booked as PG that we could price match up until final payment (3/25). I agreed and told her that was whole reason I booked PG was because I didn't want any restrictions.

She then upgraded the cabin, sent me a new cabin confirmation and that was that. She didn't mention anything about switching us from PG to Easy Saver or any of the restrictions that we would be under.

The worst part is that I called on Monday to inquire about pricing with the new sale and she told me that she could upgrade me to a balcony for $0 and never mentioned anything about Easy Saver or restrictions. I was calling for an upgrade to a balcony anyway, but she beat me to it when she suggested it. At no point in the last two phone calls I have had with her did she ever mention us being Easy Saver until I inquired about a price drop. I just feel cheated because I told her I didn't want a rate with restrictions each time I spoke with her.

I wish you had a good pvp like mine who would go over stuff like that, but sounds like you dont.

You cant really just price match if you are PG and not switch to the new rate that I know of..

I think your best bet would be to try and upgrade some more? Its going to be a hard battle to win and you will have to go over her head to win it.

I did not think that Easy Saver would give you a cabin #, I thought it was all guarantee cabins. Am I wrong about that?

I thought the same thing. That's why I was sure that we switched to the lower priced PG rate, but I guess that's wrong and you do get to pick a cabin with easy saver. I'm not sure why Carnival thought that adding a few extra rate structures would make booking easier.

I wish you had a good pvp like mine who would go over stuff like that, but sounds like you dont.

You cant really just price match if you are PG and not switch to the new rate that I know of..

I think your best bet would be to try and upgrade some more? Its going to be a hard battle to win and you will have to go over her head to win it.

I wish I had a better PVP too. The person her gave me her contact info had nothing but great things to say about her, but so far my experience with her has taught me that she wants to get off of the phone with you as fast as she can and she talks to you like you're stupid when you don't understand something. At least I can now confirm that once you are easy saver, you are always easy saver even if you switch to a different rate when you upgrade your cabin.

I had the same line of thought that you did firefly and she suggested that we just try and upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to move from the Lido deck to empress deck. An aft-view would still be $10 cheaper than the rate we are currently booked at so I don't know if they would allow that anyway.

I would call what do you have to lose? Ask for a Supervisor tell them you did not give your permission to switch rate types. They can see your originally booked PG and stick to your guns, All they can say is no.

I just tried to call twice and got a busy signal after I finally got through the 5 minutes of prompts. I think I may just let it go and try to avoid making my headache worse. :(

Does anyone know if they record the phone call? We do here so if there is a problem we can go back to the call and review it.

I know they were recording them last year...long story, but I know they listened to the ENTIRE conversation I had. I had to tell them the time (approximate) and the name of the person I spoke to.

If you look at the notes on your cabin confirmation, it should say at the bottom under guest notes what your terms and conditions are. Most people just get the confirmation and delete it or throw it into another "box" and never really read what it says. Had you read the confirmation, you could've called your PVP back right away and told her it was wrong, but at this point, you may be stuck unless you can find a kind hearted supervisor. Good Luck!!

Rates with no restrictions (before final payment of course):

Fun Select Plus+

Fun Select+

Past Guest+

Rates with restrictions (before and after final payment):

Early Saver&

Easy Saver

Instant Saver*

Super Saver*

*These rates do not allow you to pick a room.

+You can price match with these rates up until final payment to rates you qualify for. You can not price match to Easy, Instant, or Super Saver.

&You can price match to all rates you qualify for except Easy, Instant, and Super Saver (Note: If booked Early Saver prior to 12/3/12, you can price match to these rates, but know that you will lose your cabin assignment if you price match to Instant or Super Saver)

There are other rates that exist, but they seem to only come up for certain sailings, and I didn't list them. But they do include Senior and Resident. You can price match to those as well if you qualify for them.

I wish I had a better PVP too. The person her gave me her contact info had nothing but great things to say about her, but so far my experience with her has taught me that she wants to get off of the phone with you as fast as she can and she talks to you like you're stupid when you don't understand something. At least I can now confirm that once you are easy saver, you are always easy saver even if you switch to a different rate when you upgrade your cabin.

I had the same line of thought that you did firefly and she suggested that we just try and upgrade, but I'm not sure if I want to move from the Lido deck to empress deck. An aft-view would still be $10 cheaper than the rate we are currently booked at so I don't know if they would allow that anyway.

You mean Early Saver. You can't price match with Easy Saver. :)

You mean Early Saver. You can't price match with Easy Saver. :)

No you can't and that's part of the point of my OP. You can always upgrade using any rate listed when you are booked as easy saver. Once you have a booking under the easy saver rate' date=' it will always have the easy saver attached to it just like when you book early saver, but the rules are different between the two. [/color']

I originally booked under past guest and called to upgrade my cabin under a reduced past guest rate that was listed, but my PVP upgraded me under the easy saver rate instead and didn't tell me. Since I booked past guest and told her I wanted a rate with no restrictions, I didn't think I would have to go back and double check the rate she upgraded me under since the past guest rate was the rate that I mentioned when I called about the price drop and upgrade.

I called back and finally got in the queue. I have been on hold for 30+ minutes now. I'm going to try and see if they will let me switch to the new PG rate and if they won't, I will go into my long story and tell them what happened and ask for a supervisor and cross my fingers. I would even take an upgrade if they will allow it, but I doubt it since the higher balcony cabins are lower than my balcony cabin.

I am curious, could you tell me who your PVP is? I am having issues with my PVP and wondering if they are one in the same.

BTW, they do record all calls, my PVP told me herself. She even got monitored on one of our calls.

Hope this all works out for you. Stand your ground.

We aren't allowed to say their names on this site, but her initials may happen to be J.J...

After 2 hours on the phone on hold and eventually with a rep, they told me that I could upgrade my cabin and receive the difference in OBC. I agreed to let them move me so I could receive the OBC. After all of the trouble of moving my cabin around and going through a manager for approval, the rep comes back and tells me that I won't get the price difference back and the cabin that I upgraded to would be honored under the rate I was originally booked at before switching cabins.

I wouldn't have agreed to switch my cabin if she would have told me up front that I wouldn't get the difference back, but she told me that I would get it. I am so angry. Now I really feel cheated. If she would have been honest with me up front, I wouldn't have wasted my time and her time. I HATE being lied to.

Archived