POLL: Freedom vs Allure - Which should we choose and why?

Freedom Vs Allure  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Freedom Vs Allure

• Freedom of the Seas (Western Itinerary)
    • Allure of the Seas (Eastern Itinerary
    • Different ship (that sails out of floida)
    • None of the above - go to Disney World instead

good to know!! :)

a question about the Freedom - is there anything open 24 hours?

i know on the Allure, either the park cafe or the promenade cafe (i can't remember which) is open all night long...

that was one of the things my husband and i missed on the disney ships...

we like having somewhere to go for a snack late at night....a cup of coffee or whatever...

everyone always tells us to order from room service, but it's just not the same thing as having somewhere to go....

the disney ships basically roll up their decks at midnight and that's it....nowhere to go after that...nothing is open... :rolleyes:

Yes, the Freedom also has the Cafe Promenade which is open 24 hours.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=543&shipCode=FR

to the 4 of you who voted for disney world - perhaps i should have added that we'll be at WDW for 4 days before the cruise and 2.5 days after....

a lot less than what we used to do when the kids were little (3 week visits every summer!! ), but better than nothing!

We did the same as you when the kids were little and school didn't matter. There were several years when we purchased the annual passes and went a few times a year. This says a lot, because we always drove straight there (no hotel stops) from New York with 4 kids (they never complained and still don't). Needless to say, although we still LOVE Disney, it is much better now to break Disney up with a cruise. We are staying at the Animal Lodge Kidani this year for 4 days before our FOS cruise. We now have the best of both worlds and everybody is happy....even my youngest who is 10!!!

there is something to that! i probably would be very sad too.

As much as i've become somewhat critical of DCL of late, i'm way too much of a disneyholic to be able to not be sad/jealous about the disney ship in port...

so perhaps that's reason enough - avoid the mouse's home port... ;)

Yes, the Freedom is right in front of the Dream, but if the kids can see the Dream because they are enjoying the Flowrider before sail away, then their disappointment will be mitigated! :-).

Yes, the Dream has a water coaster, but there are better water coasters with shorter lines at Typhoon Lagoon... :-)

good to know!! :)

a question about the Freedom - is there anything open 24 hours?

i know on the Allure, either the park cafe or the promenade cafe (i can't remember which) is open all night long...

that was one of the things my husband and i missed on the disney ships...

we like having somewhere to go for a snack late at night....a cup of coffee or whatever...

everyone always tells us to order from room service, but it's just not the same thing as having somewhere to go....

the disney ships basically roll up their decks at midnight and that's it....nowhere to go after that...nothing is open... :rolleyes:

Promenade Cafe is open 24 hrs on Freedom as well

to the 4 of you who voted for disney world - perhaps i should have added that we'll be at WDW for 4 days before the cruise and 2.5 days after....

a lot less than what we used to do when the kids were little (3 week visits every summer!! :eek: ), but better than nothing! :)

Where in WDW will you be staying? We just got back from sailing on Freedom, and spent the night before boarding at Kidani Village.

I have started a trip review here if you are interested in what we did on the Freedom western itinerary...

I ordinarily have the same opinion of Nassau, but on our last cruise that included Nassau we tried a place called "Blue Lagoon". You have to take a ferry from the ship area to get to it. It was absolutely beautiful, we had a great day AND got the kids off the ship without spending a fortune at Atlantis.

I think we booked it via RCCL. We did just the Beach Break excursion, but you can also do dolphin and sea lion excursions. The great part was that it was very easy to look at the dolphins and sea lions in the water without doing those particular excursions. Our Beach Break excursion also included lunch. IMO, it was similar to Cococay.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=AL07E070&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=NS97&DestinationCode=

cor_camera_ico.gifView Photos

Write a Review | Read a Review

Blue Lagoon Island Deluxe Beach Break - NS97

s.gif

Port/City: Nassau, Bahamas

Activity Type: Beach and/or Water-Related Activities

Approximate Duration: 4 hour(s)

Prices starting from:

*64.00 USD (Adult)

*48.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

glad to hear you enjoyed it!

that's what DD is planning on doing if we go on the allure - and maybe we'll join her!

Port wise I would pick Allure for Eastern ( the difference being Nassau vs. Coco). Western I would pick Freedom, because of the extra stop at Grand Cayman! That was my favorite port on the Western FOS itinerary!

while i'm not interested in labadee or jamaica, grand cayman and cozumel do sound interesting!

Yes, the Freedom also has the Cafe Promenade which is open 24 hours.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=543&shipCode=FR

We did the same as you when the kids were little and school didn't matter. There were several years when we purchased the annual passes and went a few times a year. This says a lot, because we always drove straight there (no hotel stops) from New York with 4 kids (they never complained and still don't). Needless to say, although we still LOVE Disney, it is much better now to break Disney up with a cruise. We are staying at the Animal Lodge Kidani this year for 4 days before our FOS cruise. We now have the best of both worlds and everybody is happy....even my youngest who is 10!!!

kidani's great!!

i don't know where we'll stay..

i'll book closer to the date...

i'm waiting for the AP discounts to come out...

Yes, the Freedom is right in front of the Dream, but if the kids can see the Dream because they are enjoying the Flowrider before sail away, then their disappointment will be mitigated! :-).

Yes, the Dream has a water coaster, but there are better water coasters with shorter lines at Typhoon Lagoon... :-)

crush and gusher's far superior!!!!! :)

Where in WDW will you be staying? We just got back from sailing on Freedom, and spent the night before boarding at Kidani Village.

I have started a trip review here if you are interested in what we did on the Freedom western itinerary...

i haven't booked us yet...

thanks for the link to your review!!!! off to read it right now!!! :)

All I can say is that if you choose Freedom, you are not "settling" by any means! She is an absolutely fantastic ship. We have been on her three times, and probably a fourth after we try Oasis and Allure in the upcoming months. I am excited to try the newest class of ships, but I would be perfectly fine sticking with Freedom for years to come :).

Enjoy whichever one you choose!

All I can say is that if you choose Freedom, you are not "settling" by any means! She is an absolutely fantastic ship. We have been on her three times, and probably a fourth after we try Oasis and Allure in the upcoming months. I am excited to try the newest class of ships, but I would be perfectly fine sticking with Freedom for years to come :).

Enjoy whichever one you choose!

good to know!!!

the truth is, the freedom will be a lot easier for us to get to since we're flying into and out of orlando (before and after in WDW)....so if we go on the freedom, we only have to drive to port canaveral - just a hop, skip and jump down the beeline....something i've already done before to sail on DCL....

the only downside is i think i'll enjoy st thomas and st martin more than grand cayman and cozumel...

but i'm sure i'll enjoy them as well.. :)

talk about a forehead slap moment, i just realized that the week that we can cruise is our 35th wedding anniversary!!! :eek: how did i only realize that now??? :rolleyes:

Congratulations!

Big Event = Big Ship ;)

We' are cruising in October, and wanted to treat ourselves since this year is our 25th anniversary. After looking at the prices from early September to mid October , we were able to book a Grand Suite on Freedom for a pretty great price. We've been on both Oasis and Allure and we loved them both, but I have also cruised Freedom and found it very awesome!

Having seen the Broadway shows on both megaships, the only entertainment we will miss is the Aqua Show. The Windjammer is nicer on Freedom, as is the library(DH is always looking for a quiet spot in the afternoon). We'll miss Park Cafe, but we're looking forward to Portofono.

Both are great family ships--you can't go wrong with either one!

Barb

We' are cruising in October, and wanted to treat ourselves since this year is our 25th anniversary. After looking at the prices from early September to mid October , we were able to book a Grand Suite on Freedom for a pretty great price. We've been on both Oasis and Allure and we loved them both, but I have also cruised Freedom and found it very awesome!

Having seen the Broadway shows on both megaships, the only entertainment we will miss is the Aqua Show. The Windjammer is nicer on Freedom, as is the library(DH is always looking for a quiet spot in the afternoon). We'll miss Park Cafe, but we're looking forward to Portofono.

Both are great family ships--you can't go wrong with either one!

Barb

thanks Barb! That's good to hear from someone with experience on both!! :)

• 3 months later...

i don't know if i ever updated this - i finally booked....about a week after final payment....

and the winner is?.............................

drum roll please......

The Allure of the Seas!!!! :D

Archived