Flights from Anchorage

TamaLee

I am trying to get an idea of how much my return flight will be after my cruise. After checking the schedules, now my concern is the time! It seems like the only flight I can get after my cruise from Anchorage is in the middle of the night...between 11 pm and 1:30 am.

Can anyone share what your flight times have been and if your only choice was the red eye what did you do between the time you left the ship and your flight?

I should clarify that there is an earlier flight from Anchorage to Phoenix but it is almost $300 more per person.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

We are actually considering purchasing the cruise line air....seems that it is cheaper than anything I can find on my own.

I have a flight scheduled into Anchorage this coming July. I have noticed that the airline I booked with is now selling tickets at a bargin price even though the flight I am on shows it full. I suspect they are over booking in hopes their air partner can take some of the over flow. Make sure to confirm your reservations 48 hours before your depart. I lived in Anchorage years ago and know from that experience that most of the cheap flights leave late at night or early in the AM hours. From the ship I would enjoy the trip up to Anchorage, especially if you are coming from Seward. Once you get to Anchorage remember during late June and July the sun won't set util around Midnight. This might trick your system. Check on your flight to see if there is a meal or can a meal be purchased. Take some ear plugs with you and some sleeping pills if you want to sleep. (Be prepared)

It doesn't matter who the air carrier is keep an eye open on flight delays and schedule changes. Unfortunately its been crazy out there doing air travel. I just returned from Europe last week and acturally had my tickets cancelled by one of the airlines because they thought we didn't make our flight into Atlanta. We made it. The computer didn't known that. Good luck, just stay alert with the airlines. Tim

I am trying to get an idea of how much my return flight will be after my cruise. After checking the schedules, now my concern is the time! It seems like the only flight I can get after my cruise from Anchorage is in the middle of the night...between 11 pm and 1:30 am.

Can anyone share what your flight times have been and if your only choice was the red eye what did you do between the time you left the ship and your flight?

I should clarify that there is an earlier flight from Anchorage to Phoenix but it is almost $300 more per person.

Comments/Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

We are actually considering purchasing the cruise line air....seems that it is cheaper than anything I can find on my own.

We have flown from Phoenix to ANC every year for the last 5 years. There are only 1 or 2 flights from ANC to Phoenix that leave in the afternoon. AND they are expensive. Most flights from Anchorage leave late evening, early mornings to accomodate cruise line passengers and tourist traffic that wants to get those last few hours in Alaska.

If you are willing to take AmericaWest or Southwest to LA, there have been some really cheap fares-LAX/ANC. United was offering flights for $172, Alaska matched some of those. Pair that with a Southwest or HP flight and you will fly PHX/LAX/ANC and return for less than $300.00.

Cruiseline air will almost POSITIVELY put you on the late night flight.

greatam -

Thanks for the advice. We don't sail until next May so I have plenty of time to look for a good bargin.

When you fly PHX/LAX/ANC do you have to collect your luggage in LAX and the check-in again for your flight to Anchorage? Same on the return?

When you booked the flight did you do it as a multi-city reservation or what is the best way to book it? Did you do your reservation over the internet?

Sorry for all the questions....just want to make sure we do this the best and ofcourse least expensive way.

Tamara....in Laveen!

Hi Tamara,

I will try to explain. This summer, there have been some great fares from LAX to ANC. If you book one of those fares, you have to get to LAX. So another airline, namely Southwest or AmWest, has CHEAP flights to LAX. So it's two separate tickets, two different terminals at LAX and yes, check and recheck luggage. But with the shuttle busses at LAX, porters everywhere, it makes it pretty easy to justify the small hassle, when you are saving at least $150.00pp over PHX/ANC. And since there are more LAX/ANC flights and a flight to PHX from LAX every hour, you can pretty well pick and choose when you want to go.

Now this may not be the case for next summer. And with Alaska Airlines cancelling flights, who knows what will happen next summer. Best to look for sale fares from PHX and LAX. You can always get to LA, even if you would have to drive.

IF you need further help, you may email. greatamA@earthlink.net

We just purchased a house off 51st Ave, south of Carver in LAVEEN. Small world, isn't it.

Gina

Archived