Prepaid SIM on ship?

aggieastrosfan

I'm really trying to figure out how to make this work, but my searching hasn't produced an option yet.

I have an unlocked iPhone 4S on T-Mobile. The service is paid for by my company, which means I cannot use it internationally or on a ship (can't even do MMS). I have my old personal cell phone number with Verizon as a micro SIM in my iPad 3. It's still a phone line and will work internationally, I just keep it for the unlimited LTE on my iPad. But I have no phone for it.

What is my cheapest option for having the ability to make calls from the ship? I'll be leaving DH and DS7 at home for a week, and I'd just like to be able to call them a few times. Ship would be easiest as there really won't be a whole lot of time while in port.

I could care less about data. Just looking for voice minutes. Don't even need text since I can just use iMessage through ship wifi. Do I have any options at all? Or do I just need to get an international SIM and just use it while in port?

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep, your cheapest, easiest way is to use the room phone or call while in port.

No matter what cell plan you have, you have to pay for the connection through the ship's equipment. There's no such thing as a free or prepaid call.

Yes, cheapest from the ship is a quick hi from the room... But, when in port, I use my cell phone to find free wifi signal, then use Nettalk app to make free calls from my cell phone. It is not the best unless you get a good wifi hotspot, but it is good enough to carry on a normal conversation even with a poor wifi signal..

Instead of talking you could write to them for free on Carnival.com onboard

carnival.com-community-currently onboard (under user groups)

need to set up an avatar and pin, just like CC

Make sure they do not load pix as they take forever to download onboard.

Archived