South or North - Port or Starboard

cruisegirl25

We are looking to book a cruise to Alaska from Whitter to BC. We were wondering what is better the southern or northern route and what side of the ship is better. We are looking at going in May. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

We're doing a northbound in August, but I wish now we had booked a southbound. From reading advice from Budget Queen on the Alaska board, southbound is preferable for more daylight viewing around Vancouver Island. If you're going northbound, you want starboard. Southbound, port. More scenic views and much less open sea.

We had two reasons for booking the Southbound: to do the land package first and then have the cruise, and to have the shortest flight leg going home.

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference whether you're port or starboard since when you're in the glaciers, the ship is turned around so that everyone has a chance to view everything. The only advantage that I could see to having the port side going southbound (which we did) was to see the glacier first before the ship was turned.

Coming home, it was a 5-hour flight from Vancouver to BOS rather than the 15+ hours from BOS to Fairbanks. We were actually travelling for over 20 hours to get to Fairbanks. It's less if you're flying to Anchorage but not by a whole lot.

Coming home, it was a 5-hour flight from Vancouver to BOS rather than the 15+ hours from BOS to Fairbanks. We were actually travelling for over 20 hours to get to Fairbanks. It's less if you're flying to Anchorage but not by a whole lot.

Pam,

Just a follow-up question...DH and I will be sailing from Whittier on the Coral in September - our first cruise to Alaska, doing the 4 day land portion first. We're flying into Fairbanks and are letting Princess schedule our air.

Did you use Princess for your air?

If so, how did they route you from Boston.

Thanks.

Some points to consider. Many people claim south is best due to land touring being hectic. IT SHOULDN'T be but is many times with cruise tours. You are best to consider at least a 7 day add on, any shorter, expecially less than 5 days has way too much time in transit and the worthless Natural History tour included, you want the Tundra Wilderness tour.

In May however northbound is best if you are considering interior touring. Denali Park roads aren't open far enough until about the third week and if going independent, June 1 to my min. recommendation - Fish Creek. But in Sept due to Denali Park road closing usually a south bound is preferable, if going past the first week. Port side is the land side going south, starboard going north. Look also at independent touring interior, you can definately see and do more in a shorter time, generally what is done on cruise tour in 7 can be cut to 5-6 on your own, since you are on your timeframe and your interests. Be fully educated however you go, there is PLENTY that most people just do not realize.

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference whether you're port or starboard since when you're in the glaciers, the ship is turned around so that everyone has a chance to view everything. The only advantage that I could see to having the port side going southbound (which we did) was to see the glacier first before the ship was turned.

I wasn't referring to glacier viewing as much as just traveling the inside passage. The west side of the ship has several hours of just open water as opposed to the east side which has land views the entire way.

Archived