Quark Expeditions - arctic info needed

lmf914

We have just booked the Quark Expeditions Sea Spirit for 6/23/13 doing the Svalbard explorer trip. Does anyone have any helpful information they can share? We find so many Antarctic reviews of this ship but very few from the Arctic. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to post a review upon our return as well.

We have just booked the Quark Expeditions Sea Spirit for 6/23/13 doing the Svalbard explorer trip. Does anyone have any helpful information they can share? We find so many Antarctic reviews of this ship but very few from the Arctic. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to post a review upon our return as well.

We're booked on the same ship for b2b Greenland at the end of August. Sure would be nice to see some reviews, but I am not going to hold my breath.

We went to the Antarctic aboard Prof Molchanov, a 48-pax ex-Russian research vessel, that was operated by Quark. Loved the experience. The focus was on experiencing the environment, which is what we wanted. We had excellent lectures, and lots of landings. Expect a similar experience on this ship even though it is considerably more luxurious.

The Quark website has a blog ... you might find something there ... http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/blog/

We did Svalbard with Silver Explorer (would have gone with Quark, but friends encouraged us to join them). If you're looking for a sense of what cruising around Svalbard is like, then you might want to check out my blog ... the link is in my signature; all of the blog posts for that expedition voyage is under July 2011. (If you don't have signatures turned on ... here's the link ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com/.)

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for the info. I will look at your blog as soon as I have a chance. We will be blogging about our trip and I will definitely do a cruise review on here. I wish there was more information available such as some insiders tips but I will keep digging and I guess that will be half the adventure. We have a hotel in Oslo booked for a night so hopefully we can get some sightseeing in there as well.

One thing we liked about our Antarctic trip with Quark ... the focus was on the expedition, not on letting people sleep-in when something exciting happened. I'm hoping despite the more luxurious vessels they run now, the experience hasn't changed. I can sleep and rest when I get home ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

We've never been on Quark, but we're going to Antarctica on Quark this coming February. We were in Longyearbyen (on Svalbard) several years ago. We were on an Oceania ship that went up the Norway coast and on around to Russia. Had a great cruise, but we only spent one day in Svalbard. Being that we were in the main port, we had no opportunity to see polar bears or other wildlife. The small port city we were in was fascinating. They had a great museum. We walked around town some, then took a tour. I can't remember if we got the tour aboard ship or just found a taxi ourselves. Either would work. We were told that to see wildlife, you need to cruise in a smaller ship around the various islands. That's what you're doing. The scenery is great. I don't know that you need to make many advance arrangements. My guess is that you will have a wonderful cruise.

We've never been on Quark, but we're going to Antarctica on Quark this coming February. We were in Longyearbyen (on Svalbard) several years ago. We were on an Oceania ship that went up the Norway coast and on around to Russia. Had a great cruise, but we only spent one day in Svalbard. Being that we were in the main port, we had no opportunity to see polar bears or other wildlife. The small port city we were in was fascinating. They had a great museum. We walked around town some, then took a tour. I can't remember if we got the tour aboard ship or just found a taxi ourselves. Either would work. We were told that to see wildlife, you need to cruise in a smaller ship around the various islands. That's what you're doing. The scenery is great. I don't know that you need to make many advance arrangements. My guess is that you will have a wonderful cruise.

Booked on Quark’s Ocean Diamond starting Feb 13, 2014. Eager to chat with others even share some pre-cruise adventures. Plans are in the beginning stage for 2-3 days in BA and 2 days in Ushuaia. Any interest please let me know. Marie

Hi John....I booked the Miravida Soho Hotel in Buenos Aires http://www.miravidasoho.com/ a tripadvisor.com 2013 Travelers' Choice Award winner for customer service. It is a boutique hotel with 6 rooms and so far my experience can verify that their award is well deserved. As for Ushuaia, I am booked at the hotel (Los Nires) that Quark has us in the night before the cruise to expedite my days there, but already I am rethinking that as it is way outside of town and with nothing of interest nearby. Let me know what you decide and if you have any advice for a hotel in Ushuaia….Marie

Hi John....I booked the Miravida Soho Hotel in Buenos Aires http://www.miravidasoho.com/ a tripadvisor.com 2013 Travelers' Choice Award winner for customer service. It is a boutique hotel with 6 rooms and so far my experience can verify that their award is well deserved. As for Ushuaia, I am booked at the hotel (Los Nires) that Quark has us in the night before the cruise to expedite my days there, but already I am rethinking that as it is way outside of town and with nothing of interest nearby. Let me know what you decide and if you have any advice for a hotel in Ushuaia….Marie

Marie, Los Nires is indeed out of town. When we were there for our pre-cruise in 2007, the hotel did run a shuttle throughout the day for whose wanting to go into town. We availed ourselves of that on one occasion after we had shopped for sundries in town. On the other occasions, we walked into town (mile or two), doing sightseeing along the way, and either took the shuttle back, or hopped a taxi back to the hotel at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Ushuaia last year in November, prior to boarding the Sea Adventurer. Quark put us in Las Lengas, also a bit out of town. We rented a car for the 4 days we were there and had a great time. Day one we went to the other side of the island to the Argentine Sea. Saw lots of guanaco, and sea birds, had lunch in a little town (I forget the name). Day two we went to the National Park, just amazing. So many birds! We went all the way to the end to the main parking lot, and walked around, and then driving back we were able to stop at different spots to explore. Day 3 we went to Harberton - had lunch and a tour there. The last day we went to the Carrefour grocery store and stocked up on Argentine wines, and returned the car in town. (We had picked it up at the airport.) Easy peasy. Our daughter had wanted to drive in Argentina, and this seemed the safest way to do it. (In Buenos Aires we stayed at the Howard Johnson Boutique Hotel near the Recoleta Cemetary - no car!) All your trips sound wonderful. Have a great time. Ann

• 4 weeks later...

Marie et al: I appreciated all the advice from this and other web sources. After laborious research, we decided to reserve the Ceasar Park Buenos Aires for much of our stay, and also the Algodon Mansion for a part of our stay. We're going to spend one night at an estancia in the Pampas. As for Ushuaia, Quark says they're using Las Lengas Hotel and my rate includes one night there. We'll be in Ushuaia for several nights, so for efficiency we'll spend all of them at Las Lengas. John.

I checked out the Las Lengas Hotel and it looks very nice. Also checked availability for my stay and they are all booked.

I am getting very excited and in one of those moments when anticipation was running wild I decided I would take the "polar plunge" while I am there. For our sailing very little else was offered and the price is right :). I wanted to camp out but it is not offered so I thought what better way to celebrate my 70th birthday then to do something kinda' crazy. Any advise as to what gear I should use? Marie

I checked out the Las Lengas Hotel and it looks very nice. Also checked availability for my stay and they are all booked.

I am getting very excited and in one of those moments when anticipation was running wild I decided I would take the "polar plunge" while I am there. For our sailing very little else was offered and the price is right :). I wanted to camp out but it is not offered so I thought what better way to celebrate my 70th birthday then to do something kinda' crazy. Any advise as to what gear I should use? Marie

Ha Ha, Marie, you're looking for trouble! People who did the polar plunge on our trip wore anything from shorts/tees to bathing suits. Hope your heart is in good condition! You wear a harness and they reel you in pretty fast, but it must be really cold! People did say they wished it had been done at Deception Island, where the water is warmer from the volcanic action! It's an amazing trip and you'll have a wonderful time. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the June 24th sailing of the Sea Spirit. The cruise did not disappoint and I would do it all over again if given the chance. The ship was clean and comfortable and the staff was amazing. I can't say enough about the expedition leaders.....and there are a few especially good ones! If you have any questions please let me know. I haven't been able to work on a review but I did do a blog on the trip.

I would love to read your blog. I am still putting my adventure together and all info is useful and a pleasure to read in anticipation. A couple of question to start. Tell me about the polar plunge.....I was hoping as mentioned previously that it would take place on Deception Island. Was that the case on your sailing. Also, I see you are from Florida and I will be flying out of Orlando to Miami and then on to Buenos Aires. I have been instructed that I will have to gather my luggage at Miami and go thru security again as the Argentinian airline does not have an agreement with American Airlines. If you did that also, please advise as to the logistics of making that transfer. Thank you for any information you can share.........Marie

marietrusky@aol.com

We were on the June 24th sailing of the Sea Spirit. The cruise did not disappoint and I would do it all over again if given the chance. The ship was clean and comfortable and the staff was amazing. I can't say enough about the expedition leaders.....and there are a few especially good ones! If you have any questions please let me know. I haven't been able to work on a review but I did do a blog on the trip.

I searched your public profile here on CC, but didn't find any contact info. I hope you come back with a link to your blog as I would love to read it. If you don't wish to share it publicly here, perhaps you'd consider sharing it with me privately - eerkun at yahoo dot com.

• 2 months later...

Victor0riann - I am thinking about the Sea Adventurer for a cruise in late November this year- Falklands, South Georgia, Antarctica. I'd appreciate any feedback you have from your trip last year and your experience on the boat!

Thanks - Jen

When in November would you be leaving? They say that later in the season you might see chicks. We just saw penguins sitting on their eggs, and lots of juvenile king penguins. However, the snow was cleaner earlier in November! We had an amazing time, tons of animals on South Georgia, lots of icebergs, whales, seals, birds, and just millions of penguins.

The ship was great. Very comfortable, good food, good crew. There is lots of information on Tripadvisor, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I haven't been on here in quite some time so I know many of you have already traveled since then. The blog is live-love-travel. It was our first attempt but gives a general idea of what we did each day.

• 2 months later...
I'm sorry I haven't been on here in quite some time so I know many of you have already traveled since then. The blog is live-love-travel. It was our first attempt but gives a general idea of what we did each day.

I'm sorry but I still couldn't find your blog. Could you please post the website? Thanks.

I'm sorry but I still couldn't find your blog. Could you please post the website? Thanks.

Here's the site I bookmarked for the blog you're looking for ... http://live-love-travel.com/.

We spent 27 days on the Sea Spirit exploring Greenland in Sep 2013. Had a wonderful time; the expedition team was great. I just started posting about our experience. My posts are mostly a travelogue, but there are bits and pieces about the ship interspersed within the text, and one post with a short video clip on the Sea Spirit. (If you don't have signatures turned on, here's a link to my blog ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com/... I started the catch up posts in December 2013.)

Here's the site I bookmarked for the blog you're looking for ... http://live-love-travel.com/.

We spent 27 days on the Sea Spirit exploring Greenland in Sep 2013. Had a wonderful time; the expedition team was great. I just started posting about our experience. My posts are mostly a travelogue, but there are bits and pieces about the ship interspersed within the text, and one post with a short video clip on the Sea Spirit. (If you don't have signatures turned on, here's a link to my blog ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com/... I started the catch up posts in December 2013.)

Thank you!!!!!