Booze On Royal Caribbean?

I've never tried as RCI allows you to buy alcohol on board and pay an in room consumption fee and take it back to your cabin. Works out to about the same price as you would pay stateside and no lugging it in your luggage.

Cruisingator2 is right, I've only had to smuggle booze off the ship.

:D

Stretch

Haven't cruised Royal Caribbean before, but have never had trouble taking our own alcohol on Celebrity, Renaissance and others. Anyone have experience, negative or positive, with this issue on RCI?

Why can't you just buy it onboard? Ever tried that?

We have taken liquor on board with us for in room consumption only, and no we didn't stay in the room the entire cruise. We have bought it from the ships store and paid the fee that they charge you to take it back to your room. We have bought it at ports brought it on and drank some of it in our room, and have bought it and had the ship take it from us to be returned to us the night before we were to leave the ship.

We don't smuggle it, we put it in our carryon and haven't had it taken from us when we board. We have had trouble buying our type of liquor onboard the ship so that is one reason we like to take our own. My husband drinks Jim Beam and we pay twice the price plus the fee so it isn't necessarily cheaper buying it on the ship, it depends on what you drink.

On our cruise aboard the Brilliance in February this year they took our purchases from us when we got back on board in Puerto Rico. They gave us a ticket and I jokingly told the young man, "Please return it in the same shape as I am giving it to you." I was given a ticket for the three bottles and never saw them again. I had to prove what I had purchased and show them the ticket that I was given to get compensated for my lost bottles. I purchased two other bottles in different ports and again was given a ticket when we boarded. Those bottles did make it to our cabin on the last night.

Be sure to save your tickets as well as your receipts from the store where you purchased your liquor in case the ship some how misplaces your purchase. They couldn't replace the type of liquor that I had purchased so they exchanged it for something different. In hind sight I think I should have asked them to clear my bar bill.

We don't smuggle it, we put it in our carryon and haven't had it taken from us when we board. We have had trouble buying our type of liquor onboard the ship so that is one reason we like to take our own. My husband drinks Jim Beam and we pay twice the price plus the fee so it isn't necessarily cheaper buying it on the ship, it depends on what you drink.

Call it whatever makes you comfortable, but you ARE smuggling it on, since they don't allow you to bring it on, as stated on the website, and elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Ah, the discussion springs back to life.:D

RCCL doesn't seem to know its own mind regarding bringing booze on board. The website says that you cannot bring alcohol on board. Furthermore, the website that says you can't bring any on board then goes on to say that there's a corkage fee imposed in the dining room if you bring your own wine (how would you bring your own if you can't - stomping grapes in your cabin tub???).

Your cruise documents will say that RCCL reserves the right to limit the amount of alcohol brought on board. That's your contract, not the website, so I think the bottom line is that maybe you can and maybe you can't but the only way to find out is to try. The worst that will happen is that they will take it away and (presumably) return it to you on the last night of your cruise.

It's not always cheaper to buy the hard stuff on board. Plus, it's sold in litre bottles, and there's no way I could go through one of those on a 7-night cruise w/o paying a visit to the infirmary.:eek:

1corona4u,

I won't get into the debate about how comfortable I am smuggling or not smuggling. If RCI wants to charge me a fee to bring it on board in my carryon then so be it, that is why it is in the carryon and they have looked in it and could have taken the bottle etc. If they wanted to take it, store it and return it at the end of the cruise that would be fine too. What I do have a problem with is when people post that it is cheaper on the ship why would you bother bringing it with you. It isn't always cheaper on the ship, and the ship might not carry the brand that you like.

I posted the other information because I am sure most people are not aware that they might have to prove what they purchased when the ship stores your liquor and can't find it at the end of your cruise.

If you want to talk about smuggling.........how many people don't declare their actual purchases going through customs. HMMMM now that would be an interesting thread.

Driftwoodgal you do not need to debate your comments. They are your opinion and you are entitled to them. Some people on this board just believe they are always right and everyone elses opinion , that does not match theirs, is wrong. Thankfully, in my limited time on this board, I have found it to be only a select few. Most people here give helpful advise and opinions. Thanks for yours. :)

Wow! Looks like I opened a can of worms! Thanks for all your comments and advice. Seems some folks are just holier-than-thou!!! Regardless of what we decide to do, we are looking forward to this cruise and hope it is as good as our previous ones.

Driftwoodgal you do not need to debate your comments. They are your opinion and you are entitled to them. Some people on this board just believe they are always right and everyone elses opinion , that does not match theirs, is wrong. Thankfully, in my limited time on this board, I have found it to be only a select few. Most people here give helpful advise and opinions. Thanks for yours. :)

I wasn't stating my opinion, I was stating a fact.

From the RCI documents that are in the book you get before you board. (view full size)

http://community.webshots.com/album/369851137rMLtBe

Looks pretty clear to me......not that people follow the rules anyway.....:rolleyes:

Wow! Looks like I opened a can of worms! Thanks for all your comments and advice. Seems some folks are just holier-than-thou!!! Regardless of what we decide to do, we are looking forward to this cruise and hope it is as good as our previous ones.

This topic, just like smoking, kids, and dining room dress is ALWAYS a can of worms. Nature of the beast.

Stretch

Stretch,

I see that you are back on the Brilliance, we weren't disappointed when we were on her in Feb 2005. I think they did listen about the cabin stewards and the Ranch Steak. We will be in the same aft cabin 8672 for our Panama Canal cruise and have 5 couples from our M & M that booked the same dates. I think we have most of the aft booked. We will be aboard the Majesty for three nights and then walk down to the Brilliance and board her for 11 nights.

I was wondering if you would come back to RCI after your cruise on the Brilliance.......I looked for the turtle.......didn't find it......any clues that you are willing to share? I am a reformed smoker......but found the Schooner Bar to be an OK place to get a drink even if you didn't want the smoke.

Archived