Ephesus: 7 hour tour or 4 hour tour + shopping

I don't know if there is a formal dress code. I looked at my pictures and most women were in capris and men in long pants. A very few men and women in knee length shorts. I read somewhere before I went that because this a holy site, it best to be dressed as if you were going to church -- no tank tops or short shorts. Enjoy your trip.

I just emailed our tour company with that exact question. They said modern dress was acceptable, shorts or capris. We are using AboutEphesus, they are fast to reply to any requests. We are doing Ephesus with all the major sites, rug factory, shopping and lunch. We are there 10 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
We used Taner from Kagan Kosagan's guide service for Kusadasi & Ephesus: http://www.tourguidesinturkey.com/

One of the unexpected highlights was being taken to the beach and discovering a bridal party there. We learned of a Turkish custom of paying anyone who got in the way of the couple's car to get out of the way. The bride & groom permitted us to take photos. Here is one!

Thanks for your reply. How lucky were you to come across a wedding! Would you mind giving me more info about you tour with Taner and Kagan Kosagan"s?

I'm just back from a Med cruise and loved Ephesus. I would definitely take the longer tour and would not miss the House of the Virgin Mary. If you want to do a bit of shopping, it's an easy walk from the pier and you could do it after your tour. Yes, they want to make sales, but we found shopping in the bazaar a lot of fun and not too high-pressured.

I think the tours in Ephesus are worse than most about insisting on taking you to a "shopping opportunity" as part of your tour. I would no longer recommend Ekol Tours for this very reason. I've been very concerned about it, because I really do NOT like to take a private tour where my wishes are disregarded!

I've recently been in communication with a relatively new agency to Ephesus -- but I have used them twice for tours in Egypt (where these shopping stops can be a similar problem).

The owner was very clear that they will listen to what their customers want on a private tour, and that no shopping means no shopping!! I had a great experience with them in Egypt (you can read my detailed review at the link below) and I have every reason to think they'll be just as customer-focused in Turkey.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1297722

I'd be happy to provide contact info if anyone is interested in looking into their tours as a good alternative.

Cruisemom42 can you please provide me the information on the private tour company in Ephesus?

I think the tours in Ephesus are worse than most about insisting on taking you to a "shopping opportunity" as part of your tour. I would no longer recommend Ekol Tours for this very reason. I've been very concerned about it, because I really do NOT like to take a private tour where my wishes are disregarded!

I've recently been in communication with a relatively new agency to Ephesus -- but I have used them twice for tours in Egypt (where these shopping stops can be a similar problem).

Last August had three wonderful excursions with Ekol; Ephesus and then two days in Istanbul. When booking we told them we did not want shopping side trips and not once did shopping come up. I assume you advised Ekol management of your concerns.

I only recommend those I have experienced myself because even at that YMMV

Last August had three wonderful excursions with Ekol; Ephesus and then two days in Istanbul. When booking we told them we did not want shopping side trips and not once did shopping come up. I assume you advised Ekol management of your concerns.

I only recommend those I have experienced myself because even at that YMMV

Do they consider the carpet demonstration a shopping trip? I am not interested in that and will not book until I am assured there will be none. I would enjoy a lunch, just not one associated with the craft demos.

Archived