Refrigerators In Cabins?

Aussie Teen

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam and I wondering if they have a refrigerator in the cabin or is it ice buckets like we had on our river cruise?

Also is it OK to bring on your own water and soft drink? I only drink sugar free drinks but don't like Cola! Not many places have any other diet drinks though.

All cabins on the Zuiderdam have thermoelectric coolers and ice buckets, and you may bring as much as you like of any beverages except beer and hard liquor.

The coolers will chill things to about 25 degrees F below room temperature.

You are allowed to bring as much wine, sparkling wine, soda, water, juice, and any other liquids except hard liquor you wish. This is true at both embarkation and every port.

To expand on John's answer about the coolers:

On the S- and R-class ships, every cabin with a balcony has a cooler. The inside and outside cabins can rent one for $2.00 per day.

On the Vista, Signature, and Prinsendam ships, every cabin has a cooler.

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam and I wondering if they have a refrigerator in the cabin or is it ice buckets like we had on our river cruise?

Also is it OK to bring on your own water and soft drink? I only drink sugar free drinks but don't like Cola! Not many places have any other diet drinks though.

Note they are not refrigerators, as John & Ruth metioned they are coolers...I put some cut fruit & a pitcher of milk in the cooler on our Prinsendam cruise when I was ill & confined to our cabin..Both were covered with Saran Wrap..Within a few days there was mold growing on the top of both..:eek::eek:

Betty

You're going to Alaska? I brought my own pop with me. Important to bring ginger ale along with anything else you like. The only time I've ever been seasick was on the Zuiderdam the might it left Glacier Bay heading for Ketchikan. The next time I did that journey on the Zuiderdam I brought a 12 pack of ginger ale. Drank it that night instead of eating dinner and I was fine even though the seas were rough again. The coldest fridge I've ever had on any cruise ship was the last time I was on the Zuiderdam. Ice cold ginger ale. But yeah usually the fridges just keep the contents barely cool. They're inside a box cabinet without proper ventilation. You can either pack your pop inside your luggage and sometimes we've taped a baggage tag to the pop. I always write my name and cabin number with felt pen if I'm checking the pop just in case the baggage tag gets torn off while being handled. Which it never has because I always use packing tape.

Note they are not refrigerators, as John & Ruth metioned they are coolers...I put some cut fruit & a pitcher of milk in the cooler on our Prinsendam cruise when I was ill & confined to our cabin..Both were covered with Saran Wrap..Within a few days there was mold growing on the top of both..:eek::eek:

Betty

Excellent point. An accurate description would be cool boxes.

If you need an actual refrigerator, one can be rented from Ships Services.

I would suggest that if you want a real refrigerator that you order one in advance. We've done that on the last 3 cruises and it was already in our cabin and plugged in. I need it to store insulin but it was handy for keeping our beverages cold also. I was told that they don't have a lot of them so reserve early and it helps to have a medical reason. (I had to fill out a form) I would suspect that those who have a medical reason get first crack and the others are first come first served. Even with a medical necessity I was still told that it was possible I wouldn't get one. If you wait until you are onboard there might not be any left. I had to pay $2.00 a day. Worth it to me.

I would suggest that if you want a real refrigerator that you order one in advance. We've done that on the last 3 cruises and it was already in our cabin and plugged in. ... I was told that they don't have a lot of them so reserve early ...
Do they have these on the Vista and Signature ships? If so, what do they do with the standard cooler? Does that stay in its normal place and the rented unit sits out in front? Is the cost $2 /day like on the R & S class ships? Thanks.

Do they have these on the Vista and Signature ships? If so, what do they do with the standard cooler? Does that stay in its normal place and the rented unit sits out in front? Is the cost $2 /day like on the R & S class ships? Thanks.

Sorry but I don't know the answer. I just know I ordered one for the Maasdam and Rotterdam and have one ordered for the Ryndam. In the Maasdam and Rotterdam they tucked under the desk. I paid $2.00 a day on the Rotterdam but did not get a charge on the Maasdam. Perhaps it was an oversight but I didn't question it because I was afraid they would add it. I did not question the cost on the Ryndam because it is what it is and I need it. I didn't fill out a medical necessity form on the first cruise on the Rotterdam. Perhaps that's the reason I got charged but it was my understanding from my travel agent that they charge regardless.

Archived