Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

ganski ~ I feel like we're following each other around!!! We did Portraits - Oct. 2012; CMs Basel-Amsterdm Dec. 2013; and now Bordeaux Oct. 2014!!!

I'll add you to our list - if that's OK! Maybe other 2015 passengers will post they can also be added!!

New Roll Call:

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2014

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth – ports missed Cadillac

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack – ports missed Cadillac

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

April 26, 2014 ~ ChesapeakeSailor – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

May 10, 2014 ~ editor@cruisecritic: Carolyn

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 24, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork Theresa

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

June 28, 2014 ~ Le bon vin

July 5, 2014 ~ magellan2022

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 9, 2014 ~ kbella

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17 – cancelled, illness

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud; Rose & Gary

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider - CANCELLED

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg: John & Peg, Tony & Linda

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ itchyfeetx2

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2015

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

vcgeno ~ interesting observation about no sommelier on your cruise! Did you have an onboard wine tasting?? I can't remember who. but someone mentioned that they had one. And I know a few people had posted that each evening the chef + wine "person" presented the info about dinner.

Hope that others will post what happens on their cruises!!!!

I was on the May 24th cruise. The wine person talked every night about the wines being served that night at dinner. He also gave a presentation one evening that was well received.

Perhaps he had our week off. They did not do that on ours.

I don't recall any discussion of the wine served at dinner on the 7/19 cruise. There was a tasting - pretty comical affair actually. One of the officers (three bar guy) gave the narration. He was kind of quick and the servers couldn't keep up. The whole thing turned into a loud boisterous party and the poor chaps message was utterly ignored. Needless to say, the servers were generous with their pours!

That was one example of the house-party atmosphere that you only find on river cruises.

If you don't make a friend or two on one of these trips, you probably should not be out in public!

One conversation with one of the servers - a terrific guy, Bruno from Portugal, who had an extensive background on big ships - I mentioned that we like the cruises because we make new friends on them. Bruno replied, "so do we". Indeed.

I might as well relay the "heard abouts" on the optional tours. We participated in the Chateau Siaruac tour.

Although we did not take part in the cognac tour (I was burnt out on buses from the pre-cruise Loire Valley tour), virtually everyone who went raved about it!

Arcachon, was mixed. Some liked getting away for the day to the coast, some thought it was a long trip for not so much. In fact - in a cruise ship first for us - they actually served fresh shucked oysters in the lounge before dinner that night! Delicious, ice cold, and super fresh! One of the Arcachon tourers said we ate more in the lounge than they had on the tour!

Chateau Siaruac is really a must-do if you're a wine fan. Paul Goldschmidt, our host, is married to the descendant of the builder of the estate. Paul is no slouch - he's a Stanford MBA and corporate survivor who recently brought in the Chateau Latour folks as a minority partner at Siaruac. Paul is a mensch. He signed the wooden wine crate fronts for us, posed for pix, shook everyone's hand - he would've kissed babies if there were any (thankfully not). His warm, welcoming staff prepared a lunch for us (a first, I'm told - the ship usually brought the goods). Later he worriedly asked our adept guide, Astrid, if she thought he should be doing anything else. Paul really cares about his guests. Highly, highly recommend.

As for the Loire Valley pre-tour, we were a bit disappointed by the excessive bus time. The first night in Paris may be lost to jet lag for some and then you are off and running early in the AM. The Chateau tours were nice and the Belmont in Tours is a nice hotel with a pool (much welcome on the hot day we were there). Tours is a hard town as French towns go - not a whole lot of charm there. The last day is tough. Up and out early and back on Suzy, named for the "Suzanne" emblazoned across the exterior. You get to Bordeaux in late afternoon, at which point you will probably never want to ride another bus for a considerable period. I realize for some folks that this may be the best option to see even some of France due to their limited mobility. To which I cordially suggest to Viking to get more comfortable buses on this route.

loge23 ~ thanks SO much for your review!! Presence of a wine person/sommelier is becomming more and more confusing!!!!

I personally appreciate your reviews of the optional tours - even what you heard from others!!

Chateau Siaruac is on our list - wouldn't miss that for anything!! I just hope Mr Goldschmidt isn't burned-out by October!!!

Cognac - I think the guys are going (we're traveling with another couple). I'd like to just go to the town but not sure that can be arranged!!

Arcachon - now you've made my decision harder!!! I'm still trying to decide and DH said its up to me! First I've heard they served Oysters before dinner - sounds great!!

Thanks SO much!!!!

On the April 12th cruise there was a "wine guy" but I don't remember his name. He talked about the wine every night and he hosted a "tasting" one evening with a wine knowledge quiz - quite light-hearted evening. Since the wines didn't change a whole lot on the cruise, I didn't find his discussion every night all that helpful after the first few nights. The red changed about 3 times as I recall, and the white about twice. The waiters seemed to know as much about the wine as the wine guy. They were quite well informed really.

A question about a particular wine.

We drank a Cremant wine in Blaye that we liked very much. The cafe charged under 10 Euro for a glass of the wind and cookies. Each of us would like to buy the wine to share with our families and as a remembrance of our trip. I've seen Cremant on the internet but would really appreciate recommendations for a particular brand and a good online merchant. Neither of us have ever bought wine online. Thank you.

Hi MalibooNY!

Cremant's are usually specific to where they are from i. e. : Cremant de Bourgogne (Burgundy) and Cremant de Alsace are two popular ones fairly available in the U. S. - obviously they will vary by the grapes grown in the respective region.

Andre Delorme makes good ones - just search on that name and many opportunities will come up. I purchased the Bourgogne Rose online for under $15.

Cheers!

MalibooNewYork ~ we've never bought wine on-line so I can't personally recommend any place. But quickly looking for Cremant d'Alsace on google and Sherry-Lehmann came up - that's a very good NYC wine store - bit pricy but with an excellent reputation and high-end wines. Not sure of their shipping fees!

I don't know where you live, but have you checked your local wine stores??? Only down-side is that they might you to order a case.

Side note: one "cremant" style summer wine we enjoy is from Portugal - Casal Garcia (vineyard) Vinho Verde (type) - it's an early picked green wine that's slightly bubbly - chill it and its very refreshing on a hot summer day! We've been drinking it for years, but a fairly recent article in the NY Times has caused an influx of different brands in the NY/NJ area. However Casel Garcia at about $5.99 is still our favorite!

I really don't know much about wine - just lucky my DH does know, enjoys trying different ones and always shares with me!!! He loves, loves, loves the wine app Vivino - he uses it to keep track of his "collection" but also to check ratings/comments on wines he may buy.

For me, I use another method for buying wine - price first, bottle/label I like second!!! But then that's why he buys the wine!!!!

Hope you get your wine and enjoy!!!!

I just had Crémant d'Alsace last night. It was a bonus nightcap from the waiter for my birthday, so I didn't see the bottle -- but the wine looked just like Champagne [this being the US the waiter (even with hiz sick Fwench accon) called it Champagne. Bourgogne Rose is likely to be pink in color.

Thank you FotoPeg, I did not understand that. One last question, I swear. Both of us want the light colored Cremant. Would I be safe with the Cremant de Alsace or the Bourgogne Rose? My knowledge of wine is pathetic.

The Alsacian one would be light-colored and the most similar to a Champagne. The Bourgogne tends to be a bit more fruit forward.

Cremant d'Alsace is probably the wine we had since it was very much like champagne. We have an extensive wine store in town so I'll go there now that I know what to ask for.

@ Host Jazzbeau, I just watched a documentary on the Camino titled "Six ways to Santiago." and "The Way" starring Martin Sheen. It was a pleasant film about the Camino. I recommend both. Be sure to carry a special stone. BTW-"The Way" streams on Netflix.

Thanks all. Now I know what I drank with such pleasure I can re-live the experience with the wine. CC is the greatest.

Edited by MalibooNewYork
too many typos

Cremant d'Alsace is probably the wine we had since it was very much like champagne. We have an extensive wine store in town so I'll go there now that I know what to ask for.

@ Host Jazzbeau, I just watched a documentary on the Camino titled "Six ways to Santiago." and "The Way" starring Martin Sheen. It was a pleasant film about the Camino. I recommend both. Be sure to carry a special stone. BTW-"The Way" streams on Netflix.

Thanks all. Now I know what I drank with such pleasure I can re-live the experience with the wine. CC is the greatest.

We saw "The Way" when it came out [fantastic movie], and recently saw "Six Ways..." -- the presenter was the woman who had so much trouble keeping up and almost despaired of finishing. It was so good to see her and know that she had persevered. But that's a really hard way to do the Camino -- 450 miles of straight walking and staying in albergues with dozens of snoring peregrinos!

Walking the Camino de Santiago sounds fascinating and I am going to make a point of watching the movies! Thanks for the suggestion! After reading the posts from other cruisers I realize again that each cruise has its unique pluses and minues. July 5th had no real mishaps, though I do remember thinking about the ropes while watching the process of docking and undocking! We also had a complete crew and the tides and weather cooperated. As we knew from the March/April sailings, taking everything in stride and making the most of what you are given is the way to approach this experience. We did miss the opportunity to have a glass of Crémant in Blaye! I'm going to work on making up that deficit! Sounds like a good birthday treat, Host Jazzbeau!

I wanted to clarify a few points from the last weeks' postings. Wine: Frank was our Sommelier and on his way to his 3rd degree exam. He was quite knowledgable and open to questions and conversation and presented the wine offerings/classes. Per vcgeno and loge23, it sounds like a "wine guy" is not always assigned to the Foresti. Viking, please note this strong suggestion that a Sommelier be on every cruise. It adds to the overall experience of Chateaux, Rivers and Wine!

Guides: not all guides are "created equal." We were lucky to have the services of Lori, Diane and Christine. The guides are sometimes with us for more than one day so request a specific guide if you like that person. For sure, request not to be assigned to a guide that you feel was below par. We found the desk to be accommodating.

For those now booking future cruises, the Foresti almost always docks with the even numbered cabins toward the river. I don't know if that is the case for other itineraries. It's not a must have but we did appreciate the view from 232, our compact french balcony cabin!

Bon Voyage!

magellam2022 ~ thanks SO much for the tip about the guides - I completely agree that a good/great guide can make or break an excursion!! Could you tell us, if you remember, what excursion/port Lori, Diane & Christine led the tour? Will request them from the Forseti desk!

I also think you're SO correct about each cruise being "unique", even though its the same ship and same crew and same itinerary! The mix of passengers, weather, sailing conditions, etc. all add to the cruise atmosphere! I'm hoping and praying ours comes together to be a good one!!

Thanks for all you info!!!

Jazzbeau ~ I stand (sit) in admiration of your plan to do the Camino de Santiago and wish you much success!! We were there in 2011 - via a small group excursion from Vigo and were honored to pass some pilgrims - backpacks and all - as we drove into the city! We also saw others just completing the trek in at the end in front of the Cathedral - a joyful sight!!

We've seem the movies and the eight of us on our excursion all wore a clam shell - we could never have walked the distance but were moved by our experience nevertheless!

Good luck in your endeavors and please keep us informed!!! (Maybe start a blog or special thread somewhere!!!)

FotoPeg

As usual, I cannot write a short answer!!! We enjoyed each guide and learned of history, culture and wine. I know there were other guides who were equallly as good (please chime in here).

We did too many walks in Bordeaux. I agree with the advice to choose one on Saturday.

Saturday day walking tour: Diane Enjoyed Diane but did not realize we'd do a similar tour in the evening.

Saturday evening walking/tram tour: Lori (originally from California) Learned that she would be taking her group to Chateau Lynch-Bages for tasting the next day and I had read it was a good Chateau to visit. I requested that we be assigned to Lori's tour group (good choice for wine and guide)!

Sunday: Lori. Chateau Lynch-Bages plus directed bus tour of the Chateau of Medoc. We stopped, got out, took pictures or just gazed. She guessed correctly that we had reached our collective limit and delivered us to Chateuax Kirwan. We were the first bus to arrive so had time to soak up the wonderful atmosphere!

Monday: Citadel at Blaye - our guide was adequate for the job. Short morning with significant history included! A good historical base for the region.

Tuesday: Diane (moved from England in her teens with great stories of learning the culture): Liborne, Chateau Siaurac, and St Emilion. She knows her Bordeuax and wine making history. I can still hear her voice saying, "ladies and gentleman, please..."

Wednesday/Thursday: Christine (embarrassed to have forgetten her native english speaking country) Bordeaux bus/walking tour. (bus tour showed us more than we could have seen on our own). She was with us in Cadiallac and Sauternes. Enjoyed her wit and insights to the Castle and the Sauturnes the next morning. She resides in Cadillac!

Magellan2022 ~ THANK YOU so, so much!!! Exactly what I was looking for and more!!!! I'll keep those names handy - especially Lori since we (should say DH!) really want to go to Lynch-Bages!!

Ohhhhh.... getting closer and SO exciting!!! All these little details make it SO much more fun!! Thanks SO much!!!!

I'll add my two-cents about how great Christine was! All of the local guides speak English of course, but some with such a heavy French accent they are really hard to understand. Christine was from Great Britain as I recall, but has lived in the Bordeaux area for quite some time, and speaks beautiful English. She was our favorite guide. We had her for the last two of our excursions and wish we had discovered her earlier. Our first guide (can't unfortunately remember her name) was awful. Her accent was very thick and she read (literally read off a sheet) all her comments during the whole Medoc tour. She could not understand anyone's questions, no matter how slowly anyone talked. We finally got to the point that we just turned off our headsets about half way through the tour. We were lucky though to go to Chateau Giscours, and the guide there did all the talking for our wine tour, and his English was great.

You will be asked to fill out green cards if you particularly found a guide to be great, or a red card if you found them to not be so good. you ask for these at the front desk. Needless to say, after our first day, we filled out a red card, but Christine got two green cards from us. Definitely ask for Christine.

Elizabeth ~ thanks much!! Have just added the recommended names to my calendar and will request them for our tours!

I remember Viking asking for "reviews" of their guides - I guess/hope the poorer guides were caused by this itinerary being new this year. I don't remember ever having a guide we couldn't understand! Some were better than others - OH bring back Toby from Heidelberg!! - but I never thought about turning off my voxbox. Hope we can be as lucky this time!!

Just over 6 weeks before we leave for Paris and about 7 1/2 weeks before the cruise!! Almost seems impossible as we booked this Nov 2012!! Leaving shortly for our annual Atlantic City trip - DJ Convention and our son produces 2 of the shows. Last trip before Paris/Bordeaux!! Then back home to real "last minute" planning!!!

Can't wait to hear from kbella!!!

I hate to open Pandora's box with this question but will ask anyway since its been growing in my head for months!

Anyone who's sailed this itinerary with Viking - are passengers dressing just a little step up on this cruise? With visiting Chateaux, having dinner and an option lunch in a Chateau, I'm thinking that clothes might be a little "smarter" than usual.

Last cruise was Christmas Markets in December. Fabulous time and very, very casual - theme was staying warm! Jeans, cords, turtlenecks, layers and coats & boots so no one really knew what anyone was wearing on excursions!! The ship was warm but still most people dressed very casually even for dinner - flying required space/weight be given to the warm necessities!

But, hopefully, October shouldn't be that cold. We plan to dress a step up for Paris and just looking for any comments about this specific cruise!

Thanks much!!