Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

Oh Rose ~ I feel SO bad your cruise is coming to an end but also SO happy everything worked out SO we'll!!! (Remember all those dire posts some months ago!!!)

Thanks for the tip about the ice coffee - hope our October weather calls for it and that they're still making it!! 3 weeks from right now we should be boarding the plane for Paris!! Can't wait but also don't want the trip to speed by!

Enjoy your ocean cruise!!!! Hope its half as good as the RC!!!!!!

Hi Adoremus ~ welcome to our Roll Call!!! Hope a lot more will join you for next year's cruises!

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2014

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth – ports missed Cadillac

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack – ports missed Cadillac

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

April 26, 2014 ~ ChesapeakeSailor – ports missed Cadillac & Blaye

May 10, 2014 ~ editor@cruisecritic: Carolyn

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 24, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork Theresa

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

June 28, 2014 ~ Le bon vin

July 5, 2014 ~ magellan2022

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 9, 2014 ~ kbella

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17 – cancelled, illness

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud; Rose & Gary

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider - CANCELLED

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg: John & Peg, Tony & Linda

Oct. 18, 2014 ~ Dbakers: Dave & Donna

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ itchyfeetx2

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ lionsfan99

Viking Chateaux, Rivers and Wine ~ 2015

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

Sept. 26, 2015 ~ Adoremus

When you are on this cruise you must order the "iced coffee" after dinner. I believe it is prepared on certain days by the pastry chef. We tried it last night (happened to see the table next to us with them) and it was to die for and I normally dislike iced coffee. We will be asking for it tonight, hoping it will be available

I am not a hot coffee drinker, only iced, last year we were on Viking's Portrait Of Southern France and I requested iced coffee for breakfast everyday. I sat in the same area and had the same waiter for breakfast and dinner, his name was Michael and is a tremendous asset to Viking, he made the iced coffee by using hot coffee and a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it to chill it down. I was not calorie counting on this trip. Not only was Michael good at making iced coffee, he made sure our wine glasses were always filled, the food was to our satisfaction and always came around with extra portions if we wanted it. My wife is gluten free so he was always extra careful serving her too. we named the iced coffee drink "The Michael" and he got a big kick out of it.

Just booked this cruise for December 13th. This is my 7th Viking cruise. Does anyone have any information on the Christmas markets during this cruise?

Would also like to be added to roll call for this cruise.

Thanks

Edited by Vinelvr

Grizzlymj ~ added you to the list! We'll miss you by 2 weeks!! There's also another couple listed in the Oct. 18th cruise - the Dbakers - maybe they'll post again before the trip and you can trade info!

Vinelvr ~ I also added you to the list - hope that's OK. As for Bordeaux CMs, I have no idea. But I'm sure you will find info on the internet!

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 9, 2014 ~ kbella

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 18, 2014 ~ Grizzlymj

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Dec. 13, 2014 ~ Vinelvr

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

Alltravels ~ You're added!!!!

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 9, 2014 ~ kbella

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 18, 2014 ~ Grizzlymj

Oct. 18, 2014 ~ Alltravels: Nancy & David

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Dec. 13, 2014 ~ Vinelvr

Aug. 22, 2015 ~ ganski

So looking forward to it as it keeps getting closer! Thanks for all the tips and insider information from everyone. I was undecided about the drink package but now I am intrigued and may have to opt for this. LionsFan and Itchy Feet looking forward to meeting you all as well!

So looking forward to it as it keeps getting closer! Thanks for all the tips and insider information from everyone. I was undecided about the drink package but now I am intrigued and may have to opt for this. LionsFan and Itchy Feet looking forward to meeting you all as well!

I was undecided about the beverage package as well but have decided to get it! I showed the wine list to my bf (who is getting it for me as a Bon voyage gift!!!) and he thought it was amazing. Can't wait for the trip!

Would others who have been on the cruise or others recommend upgrading to the Silver package? My husband and I love wine but can be picky so not sure how just the house wine is or if you recommend the upgrade. Thanks in advance!

zmjh45 ~ have a fabulous cruise!!! Hope you have time to post with some comments and suggestions!

We fly out Thursday for 8 days in Paris pre-cruise!!! Seems like forever ago (22 months) that we book this cruise - can't believe its actually about to happen!! Awaiting our cruise "packet" - its on its way as I write this! And I

Hope I'll have the time to post while cruising - main "problem" is too many things to do!

zmjh45 ~ have a fabulous cruise!!! Hope you have time to post with some comments and suggestions!

We fly out Thursday for 8 days in Paris pre-cruise!!! Seems like forever ago (22 months) that we book this cruise - can't believe its actually about to happen!! Awaiting our cruise "packet" - its on its way as I write this! And I

Hope I'll have the time to post while cruising - main "problem" is too many things to do!

Bon Voyage! I can't wait to read all about it! And see all your photos. Too bad we can't experience all the food and wine tastings with you also.

Would others who have been on the cruise or others recommend upgrading to the Silver package? My husband and I love wine but can be picky so not sure how just the house wine is or if you recommend the upgrade. Thanks in advance!

The house wine is a different white and red each night, selected from the restaurant wine list. We thoroughly enjoyed the selections, and were able to ask for wines served on previous nights if we preferred. Had one couple who were not happy with the red one evening so the husband went to his room and brought back a wine he had purchased on shore...no problem. So if wine is your beverage of choice you can always supplement with other wines of the area to increase variety.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

HURRAY!!!!! Our Viking package arrived yesterday afternoon!!! The nice "case" we also received last year, our red luggage ID tags, our itinerary booklets, an interesting little book about the Bordeaux area, wine & Paris and our luggage room tags. I guess we could board without anything that was sent but receiving the package makes the trip REAL!!! We're going to France!!!!!

Got2cruise ~ thanks for your Bon Voyage!!! Wish you could be aboard - think it would be fun traveling with you, although we'd slow you down!! See you're looking into Venice (my favorite city - try and include a vaporetti ride to the Lido!) and the Greek Islands - only been to Santorini but just fabulous!!! Had lunch in Amoudi after walking down the 200 steps - a great experience!!! Suggestion - Istanbul was also fantastic!

tipsygirl ~ thanks for the info regarding the dinner wine - will pass it on to the guys - sure it will help them deciding!!

And now - to packing!!!!

I would not recommend. We did just fine on our July cruise with no shortage of wine - or cognacs - for below the cost of the packages. Don't forget you are in wine country! Viking does not impose a corkage fee on this cruise. You may wish to bring onboard other wines than what are offered. Use your time in Bordeaux well and visit a wine shop. You will have another opportunity in Libourne - there's a Carrefours market a short walk from the pier with an excellent selection. The crew rotates the wine selection throughout the cruise as the dinner wines served gratis.

Enjoy - it's really a great, fun trip!

ganski ~ thanks much and certainly hope that we will have at least a 5-star review upon return!! No matter what, I'll be envious of you next year!!!

loge23 ~ thanks for your input regarding the beverage package - guys are still undecided! On the Rhone River cruise we did buy wine a few times, mainly at wineries we visited. Have to agree with you - there was never a problem or attitude or a cost when anyone brought a bottle to dinner. And I've said often, one of the larger "group" at dinner onoly drank white and the staff gladly poured her drinks from their wine and the rest of us from bottles we supplied.

Will "report" back on our wine experience once we're aboard!! Ane we're really looking forward to a great, fun trip!!!!

So far the trip has been great for us. There have been problems with passengers using Air France for their transportation with the strike gong on. Still getting passengers on tomorrow. Sure glad we have British Air gong back to London on Saturday. You are able to get on the boat at 11 am in Bordeaux, and have a nice buffet lunch. They did have 2 45 minute walking tours around the area where the boat is docked. ( 2:00 and 3:00) At 9:00 pm they also had a lighted tram and walking tour of Bordeaux. We were tired , so didn't partake as it aren't getting back till 11 pm. Today we were split into 4 coaches and had wine tasting and several photo stops at chateaus. Depending what route your bus took, seemed liike you back tracked around the different villages, and made the trip seem long, We were in 1B, and felt like we were going in circles. We all met up at at the last chateau at 6 pm and had a wonderful dinner with wine pairings. We returned to the boat around 9:30 for more wine and cheese. The Citadel at Blye is tomorrow.

zmjh45 ~ SO happy everything is going well so far!!! Sounds just wonderful and can't wait to be aboard and experience everything ourselves!!! By everyone's account the dinner at Chateaux Kirwin is fantastic - can't wait to see for ourselves!!!!

Tonight we had an early celebration of DH's birthday with our grandsons (11 & 13) - broke open a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape from our 2012 Rhone River cruise - wonderful and brought back fun memories! Hope our Bordeaux adventure will be just as special!!!

Even though most of us are on different dates, it's been such fun to be part of this group and follow everyone's anticipation and experiences. Our trip was so long ago, back in late May, but I enjoy reading about people's upcoming trips and the excitement that continues to build. It's like reliving the cruise again and again. For those still looking forward to your trip, incl. ringleader FotoPeg, it will be awesome! Have a wonderful time! We should all plan a reunion cruise!

In the meantime, DH and I couldn't stand it any longer not having a trip planned....so we signed on today for the Danube Waltz in Thanksgiving week. Great deal we could not ignore. I just hope for reasonable weather. I'll have to start following that thread now, or create one.

-alice

ABQcruiser ~ SO wonderful to know you're still visiting long after your cruise! We've all learned SO from all you early cruisers!! Yes, our anticipation grows as we get SO close to this adventure!!

Please come back to tell us all of a Danube site you've found or begun! We're looking into the Romantic Danube - thinking of combining the cruise with a visit to DH's g'father's birthplace, Werdau, Germany and Budapest sounds wonderful! Yes, RCing is addictive!!!!