anyone cruised w/kids on Dawn or Jewel?

bugspost

I really need some advice...........we are planning cruise w/4 kids.

Jewel goes out of Houston (NCL is starting to go out of that port soon)

Dawn goes out of New Orleans

Kids ages will be 9,6,4 & 2 when we go............4 adults too.

Which ship is the most kid friendly??? We are flying from Seattle so wondering about going to Houston or New Orleans...........if we do Houston....would go day early...if New Orleans...would go 2 days early.............but the most important issue is which ship is better for us?? Price is about the same...so that is not an issue. Looking at NCL site..........seems Jewel has a splashdown club & Dawn doesn't but just want any advice on families that have cruised w/either.

The cruise is Western Caribbean.......itinerary similar....Jewel has 3 ports & Dawn has 4 ports......Cozumel, Mexico

Belize City, Belize

Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Costa Maya, Mexico

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ADVICE!!! :)

We cruised on both but our kids were a little older than yours - 11 and 15.

For kids, we found the Jewel was just the right size - not too big and just enough activities to keep them entertained. My son went to the kids club and we never saw him ... they had sleepovers and all kinds of stuff.

The following year, we went on the Dawn and they found that little small, kids club boring, not enough to do. They did make friends via the kids club, but preferred the Jewel.

I prefer it too.

Your kids being younger, they might not notice (your 9 year old will...) but YOU will notice. I would take the Jewel.

We also have cruised with kids on both the Dawn and Jewel. The Jewel has its own kids pool area in the back of the ship. This is really cool for the kids but as a parent if you want to still be by the main pool, may make it a little harder for you when the kids want to stay by the kids pool.

The Jewel was fantastic when we sailed on her. The kids club was awesome and my kids never wanted to leave. All the NCL ships excel in their kids club program but if I remember, there was a little more to do on the Jewel especially with the Nickelodeon themes now.

The Dawn is a great ship and I hold a special place for her and would sail anytime on her but in regards to your question, I would choose the Jewel. We are leaving to go on the Jewel in 2 days and my 9 yr old cannot wait to get to the kids club. This will be her 6th cruise and she absolutely loves the kids club programs on NCL.

We also have cruised with kids on both the Dawn and Jewel. The Jewel has its own kids pool area in the back of the ship. This is really cool for the kids but as a parent if you want to still be by the main pool, may make it a little harder for you when the kids want to stay by the kids pool.

The Jewel was fantastic when we sailed on her. The kids club was awesome and my kids never wanted to leave. All the NCL ships excel in their kids club program but if I remember, there was a little more to do on the Jewel especially with the Nickelodeon themes now.

The Dawn is a great ship and I hold a special place for her and would sail anytime on her but in regards to your question, I would choose the Jewel. We are leaving to go on the Jewel in 2 days and my 9 yr old cannot wait to get to the kids club. This will be her 6th cruise and she absolutely loves the kids club programs on NCL.

Correction: I wrote the Jewel has its own pool in the back of the ship... I meant to write the DAWN has its own pool in the back of the ship... sorry

I've been on Jewel twice with my son when he just turned 4 and again when he was 6. We also went on Dawn when he was 4.

Although Dawn does have the separate kids pool in the back it was always a crowded unsupervised ( meaning no parents watching their kids) chaotic mess!!

He preferred the Kid's Club staff on Jewel- they seemed a little friendlier than on the Dawn.

Also Jewel has Nick at Sea which he LOVED last year. He also enjoyed the Great Outdoors buffet in the eve after we picked him up from Kids Club.

You can see my reviews of Jewel and the W.Carib itinerary in my signature. We are booked back on Jewel in Feb out of NOLA.

Thanks everyone............we switched to the Houston departure. Just found out from my TA this info.........so he is going to get us these perks plus we can get connecting mini suites on jewel.

For one week and one week only, April 7th through April 13th, you can offer your clients up to $270 in perks like a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries, dinner for two at one of our specialty restaurants, a $50 spa credit and onboard credit to use any way they choose. We’re also offering 50% off kids’ fares on select Europe and Alaska sailings and 50% reduced deposits. It’s one cruise event that just lasts one week.

Only cruised on the Jewel and my gd had a ball. She complained every time I came to pick her up. She loved the kids program. Also, they had other family programs going on throughout the ship. Even in the evening they did something for the children. My gd is 5 and since she had more fun on this cruise than when I took her to Disney world she only want to go on a cruises now. Her first cruise was 10/2012 she bugged me and we cruised again 2/2013 and another is schedule for 1/2014 with her. The children are going to have a nice time and you are too.

I really need some advice...........we are planning cruise w/4 kids.

Jewel goes out of Houston (NCL is starting to go out of that port soon)

Dawn goes out of New Orleans

Kids ages will be 9,6,4 & 2 when we go............4 adults too.

Which ship is the most kid friendly??? We are flying from Seattle so wondering about going to Houston or New Orleans...........if we do Houston....would go day early...if New Orleans...would go 2 days early.............but the most important issue is which ship is better for us?? Price is about the same...so that is not an issue. Looking at NCL site..........seems Jewel has a splashdown club & Dawn doesn't but just want any advice on families that have cruised w/either.

The cruise is Western Caribbean.......itinerary similar....Jewel has 3 ports & Dawn has 4 ports......Cozumel, Mexico

Belize City, Belize

Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Costa Maya, Mexico

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ADVICE!!! :)

Funny, I have been trying to decide between these two cruises, also. I think the Jewel looks awesome and it was really what was swaying me towards Houston. But in the end, I have decided to go with the Dawn out of New Orleans. For about the same price, I just couldn't see missing the chance to visit New Orleans. If only the Jewel was still going to be in New Orleans, it would be perfect!! Oh well, this will be my kids' (9 & 11, at the time) first cruise so they won't have anything to compare it to. Have fun on the Jewel!!

Funny, I have been trying to decide between these two cruises, also. I think the Jewel looks awesome and it was really what was swaying me towards Houston. But in the end, I have decided to go with the Dawn out of New Orleans. For about the same price, I just couldn't see missing the chance to visit New Orleans. If only the Jewel was still going to be in New Orleans, it would be perfect!! Oh well, this will be my kids' (9 & 11, at the time) first cruise so they won't have anything to compare it to. Have fun on the Jewel!!

yeah,,,we wanted to do NOLA too....but w/the flights we would have to do a 2 day pre cruise stay to enjoy it. Your kids are old enough so they will do well but with 4 little ones.(only one will be 9...rest 6 & under)..figure we better go w/ship that has more on it for kids....plus we can take direct flight from Seattle to Houston instead of having to do connecting w/NOLA cruise.....also, the Jewel is $300 less than Dawn & we are able to get connecting mini suites. Flights will be a less too...(will prolly save about $800) ..overall, we are happy.......are you booking thru TA??? Mine is juggling a bit so that he can book on 7th to get us all the perks ($270 in perks like a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries, dinner for two at one of our specialty restaurants, a $50 spa credit and onboard credit to use any way they choose.50% reduced deposits)

We already have deposit down for the Dawn one....so no biggie...they are just transferring it over to Jewel cruise.

Sounds like you've made your choice, but for anyone else reading, I think the Dawn was a great first ship for us, but my 10 year old was jealous when he saw the Start next to us in Cozumel, as it had water slides on its main pool. The T-rex kids pool area was great for little kids (I would say potty trained to age 7 or 8) but it was a little young for him. We never did try to the kids club. I plan to go with a Jewel class or the Epic next time we cruise with Norwegian. I promised him whatever ship we choose will at least have a big water slide.

Sounds like you've made your choice, but for anyone else reading, I think the Dawn was a great first ship for us, but my 10 year old was jealous when he saw the Start next to us in Cozumel, as it had water slides on its main pool. The T-rex kids pool area was great for little kids (I would say potty trained to age 7 or 8) but it was a little young for him. We never did try to the kids club. I plan to go with a Jewel class or the Epic next time we cruise with Norwegian. I promised him whatever ship we choose will at least have a big water slide.

Hello,

We're going on our first cruise in a week (on the Dawn) and we have a 9yo daughter. Your post was helpful! We just told our daughter today about the cruise, and told her about the water slides (T-rex pool) and the kids club, I hope show won't be disappointed...

Thanks!

Hello,

We're going on our first cruise in a week (on the Dawn) and we have a 9yo daughter. Your post was helpful! We just told our daughter today about the cruise, and told her about the water slides (T-rex pool) and the kids club, I hope show won't be disappointed...

Thanks!

My son loved the cruise, don't get me wrong! The Oasis pool was great, and he did enjoy the T-Rex pool. He liked the video arcade as well ($$$!) He also loved all the shows with Justino & Daniela - if they are still on the Dawn be sure to see them (including the variety show the first night). He also liked the ice cream at Sprinkles every day from 12-5 pm (better than the soft serve in the buffet).

Archived