Solo cruising on Zuiderdam

thepumpkin

Has anyone cruised on Zuiderdam as a solo? I am wondering about the cruising as a single on HAL as there seem to be reasonable single occupancy rates .I have always imagined only few singles 30-40 on HAL but hope to be corrected on this.I am looking to travel during September and tossing Zuiderdam against Carnival Legend and Norweigan Dawn .I would appreciate any advice...

sort of... i booked as a single for my cabin on the 28-may zuiderdam sailing, but was part of a group of 27 others, so i'm not sure it's the same thing.

cost-wise, total for my "K" inside was about $1128. i do remember seeing on the programs a couple of get-togethers for singles - one at breakfast, another (I think) either lunch or afternoon drinks - but didn't attend either so i cannot vouch for who (if anyone) was in attendance.

good luck whatever your decision...

I have cruised six times on HAL (not on the Zuiderdam, though) as a single and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of all the major cruiselines, HAL seems to offer the best single supplement rates. If you are willing to spend a little more, try Crystal Cruises (very luxurious) as they sometimes offer great single supplements. I always book a mid-priced inside guarantee. Except, for my first cruise, I have been upgraded to an outside cabin (usually the least expensive one). As for other singles, there seems to be no pattern. On a couple of the cruises, there were less than 10, and on another there was a whole bunch of us. I always ask to be seated at a large table, the second seating, and with other singles. This has been a hit and miss. If you don't think you are going to enjoy the table, ask the maitre'd to move you after the first night. I love cruising as a single. I find that I make a lot of friends and always have someone to talk to. I also enjoy the freedom of doing what I want to do. Just remember, HAL cruises tend to be fairly "sedate" except for the summer and holidays. The nightlife isn't too exciting and the disco doesn't exactly "rock". However, if you want a relaxing, quiet vacation, reasonably priced cruise, HAL is definitely the one. Also, as a single woman, I feel totally safe on a HAL ship. The officers and staff are very courteous and can't do enough for you. As a single, I tend to book ship excursions as I feel safe on them and it's usually a good way to meet other people from the ship.

I've never sailed on the Zuiderdam, but don't think it would be that different from going solo on any HAL ship. I never attend the singles events, as others have stated. Have found interesting singles, couples, and families on all my cruises to talk to and participate in activities with. I think the number of singles on any particular cruise is the roll of the dice. I've noticed that singles tend to cruise at the times of the year that are off peak for families, unless the singles are school teachers.

I've done 2 HAL cruises solo, and have a 3rd booked.

Roz

If you like to meet and interact with others the Norwegian Dawn could be a mistake, as it is all free-style dining so unless you meet others right away to dine with you could be eating alone.....unless you prefer that.....in which case disregard the above :)

Has anyone cruised on Zuiderdam as a solo? I am wondering about the cruising as a single on HAL as there seem to be reasonable single occupancy rates .I have always imagined only few singles 30-40 on HAL but hope to be corrected on this.I am looking to travel during September and tossing Zuiderdam against Carnival Legend and Norweigan Dawn .I would appreciate any advice...

I did a b2b last summer on the Zuiderdam as a solo traveler. I had a great time. While one of the weeks, a friend of mine from the Chicago area just happened to be sailing with her husband, we were not really traveling together and actually except for arranging to be seated at the same table in the dining room each evening, we rarely saw each other on the boat.

I love traveling solo. You come and go as you please without having to make accommodations for others in your party. I also find that HAL attracts more seniors, who tend to be very open to meeting new people and striking up conversations. It's not that the younger people won't do this ... it's just that often when families are traveling together, they tend to stick together. But since you're talking traveling in September, most of the kids will be back in school so you shouldn't have a whole boat full of families.

Yes, HAL is an excellent choice for the solo traveler ... because their single supplements are so reasonable. I say go for it ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived